My latest (and cheapest) Gretsch

Discussion in 'Gretsch "Roots" Acoustic Forum' started by T Bone, Jun 27, 2018.

1. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Well, just over 2 weeks ago I received my G9531 Style 3. Great little guitar, and at $285 (listed as "used", actually new open box) shipped, I think it is a really good value (bought on Reverb, they had more!).

I like the finish, the fretboard inlays and tortoise headstock veneer. Love the binding. The 'burst is a great look.

It's a smallish (but not tiny) guitar, which makes it convenient. Being inexpensive, not so worried about it, so I can travel (by car) worry free.

Has a medium neck with just the slightest hint of a V, very comfortable. The 12 frets clear of body carries it's inherent limitations, but also contributes to it's small stature.

Sound is neither horrible nor stupendous, but pleasant and enjoyable. Comfortable to play. Did I mention it's a bargain?

20180627_111028.jpg 20180627_111103.jpg 20180627_111158.jpg

Thanks to Olfingers' post in another thread, I looked for a Gator Classical gig bag, and picked it up with coupon from MF for $19.95 shipped. Hard to beat for dust and light scratch protection. Fits beautifully btw.

All in all, a great little guitar at a great price.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  2. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats T,pretty cool wee geet that, the inlay work around the binding and sound hole look nice!:cool:

T Bone likes this.
  3. stevemorrison

stevemorrison Synchromatic

Jun 3, 2011
    Dundee, SCOTLAND
    Nice wee guitar, the binding and tort veneer on the headstock look class

T Bone likes this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    well she's a cute little thing ..... enjoy

T Bone likes this.
  5. Oldfingers

Oldfingers Gretschie

Nov 2, 2015
    Brainerd, MN
    I like the finish, the fretboard inlays and tortoise headstock veneer. Love the binding. The 'burst is a great look.

It's a smallish (but not tiny) guitar, which makes it convenient. Being inexpensive, not so worried about it, so I can travel (by car) worry free.

Has a medium neck with just the slightest hint of a V, very comfortable. The 12 frets clear of body carries it's inherent limitations, but also contributes to it's small stature.

Sound is neither horrible nor stupendous, but pleasant and enjoyable. Comfortable to play. Did I mention it's a bargain?

View attachment 95947 View attachment 95948 View attachment 95949

Thanks to Olfingers' post in another thread, I looked for a Gator Classical gig bag, and picked it up with coupon from MF for $19.95 shipped. Hard to beat for dust and light scratch protection. Fits beautifully btw.

All in all, a great little guitar at a great price.[/QUOTE]. That is a great deal on that guitar ( I paid $399 for mine ). Glad to hear that the gig bag worked for you. I find that this Grand Concert size guitar with the short scale 12 fret neck is just super comfortable for me to play and is a real looker, also great for learning finger style. Only fault I could find with mine was sharp fret ends ( a fret file and a little time fixed that). Very pleased with mine!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    T Bone and russmack like this.
  6. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Very nice! The binding is so cool, that would have sucked me in. Enjoy!

T Bone likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats. I really like the binding and detail on these.

T Bone likes this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Not the "Cheapest"---it's just the most inexpensive! Nice little guitar!

Everyone needs a small acoustic for a variety of reasons. I have a toddler in the house, as well as 120# of dog, so, I keep the good guitars in cases till I need them. I've a $50 Epi at hand to grab when the mood strikes.

T Bone likes this.
  9. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Cool strap. Congrats on the new Gretsch!

T Bone likes this.
  10. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    One has to love that headstock. Brilliant.

T Bone likes this.
  11. Nothoughts43

Nothoughts43 Newbie

Mar 21, 2020
    Colville, Wa
    I have two of these now.i love them.yes they are a bit smaller sized but for recording they are voiced perfect. The mids are perfect for cutting through a mix.
    More than happy with these two. I have one tuned for open dadgad.

Ricochet likes this.
  12. Danbgt

Danbgt Electromatic

May 25, 2019
    Texas
    I bought one of these a few months ago and it has turned into my favorite guitar. I paid $399 but is still a great deal. I play a lot in open tunings and already the 00 size G9521 that I keep in open D. This G9531 has tuned out to be perfect for open C. The only issue I am starting to have with the 9531 is the tuning pegs. Although it seems to stay in tune pretty good the pages are getting “sticky”. They are not very smooth anymore. Has anybody else had this issue. And if so, what did you did you do to fix the problem.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice