My last NGD thread ever, I promise... DiPinto Mach IV :D

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    :rolleyes: or anyway my last until the next one... :D

This one showed up this morning from DiPinto, extremely well packed and very nicely setup:
    [​IMG]
    Chris was very easy to deal w/ via Reverb and was able to dig up a scratch and dent of their really quite nice gator skin and goldendoodle fur hard cases for me for a reasonable upcharge from the gig bag it was selling w/.
    [​IMG]
    I swung by home this afternoon and gave it a half hour test spin through the amps and board du jour to see what we had. Similar to the Galaxie, the body shape seems super comfortable to me seated or standing; I'm guessing it's a completely manageable 8lbs. or so; and the balance is superb. The neck is a similarly shallow depth D profile (maybe just a tad thicker?) w/ biggish shoulders and a rosewood 12" radius board w/ a nice little bit of roll on the edge of the board/binding. The width is a bit narrower here but it seems very comfy to me so far. The fretwork seem faultless and they're wide and comfortably rounded w/ a height that approaches fretless wonder territory:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It had a nice bit of resonance stock and I was immediately impressed when I plugged it in. The P1000 at the bridge has a very nice rude and raunchy "authentic" P90 sound to me and the neck pickup I've loved so much in the Galaxie so far might shine even brighter in here. They seem to work very well together in the middle position dialed a bit cleaner too.

The quality of construction, assembly, and components seems similarly excellent to the Galaxie. The clear has a few spots that are rough to the touch but neither I or my luthier friend could mange to find any visible effect of it in the surface and so far I think it looks pretty great to me. I might try a little hand buffing at some point but it's really not detracting too much from my enjoyment of the guitar at this point so I'm not going to sweat it.

It was seeming like a pretty great rock machine stock but I had plans for this one... I love a good hard tail, but having recently scavenged my Les Trem II off of one I'm selling and this being the perfect platform to try out a theory on how to make it work better for my larger hands, I had been planning on a full complement of hardware mods before I pulled the trigger on the guitar. After a few hours at the shop the surgery and recovery were complete and it's feeling pretty darn great:
    [​IMG]
    For the bridge I snagged the older ABM roller ToM off of my Manta Ray and locked it onto the 8mm to 4mm conversion studs I had recently grabbed from Faber. For the tailpiece, I dropped on the aforementioned Les Trem II:
    [​IMG]
    This bridge hasn't failed to make wood sing just a little bit more intensely in your hands on any of the 3 guitars I've tried it on so far. The Les Trem might have just found its forever home for me too. Same great action and range, but now w/ 100% more space for my hand on the bridge w/ the added bonus of some behind the saddle access and mojo :)

While I was at it I put a new set of Hipshot 6GLO tuners on:
    [​IMG]
    I wound up needing to mod one of the mounting plates a bit due to the extended spacing of the high side tuners but after 5 minutes w/ grinding bit and some clean up with a hand file, everything mounted up great and this set continues the streak of providing probably the best tuning feel I think I've encountered. Hopefully I'll have a set of the large oval chrome buttons for them this weekend, but the stock ones work well as is.

At this point in time I couldn't be happier w/ the DiPinto experiment and I genuinely think I've got enough new sounds and feels to keep me busy in the gear department and out of the other guitar stores for a bit :D

Thanks for reading and taking a look!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  2. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I love everything about that, Sid! If it was red....I would sell organs to buy one

3. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks alot man!

There were a couple different examples of used sunburst stoptail P90 ones in GC's inventory under $400 when I was on the hunt last week if that does anything for you ;)

4. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Congrats Sid! That's got a quirky, but cool vibe to it. The trem mod looks great, too.

Telechamp and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That's gorgeous. Congrats.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  6. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I need that case!! I'm using a fender jag case for my dipinto right now.

7. Beardog

Beardog Synchromatic

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Thats a beaut, congrats

8. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Congrats! That case is very nice and plush as well. Next time you could post NCD (new case day) and simply say the guitar was included in the deal.

drmilktruck and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  9. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

That is cool.

Wish we could get them over here.

10. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    DSCN0541.JPG.540x540_q85_autocrop.jpg View attachment 106842 View attachment 106842 View attachment 106842
    ive always wanted one of these! i saw one in guitarist magazine years ago! white was a good choice! i think i might be more tempted to get a hallmark 60s custom though? but the pinto is more unique...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  11. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Cool, congrats!

12. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

13. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks! This one kept me up until ~3AM playing it so it must be doing something right ;)

Chris said he should have more coming in the spring. I'd like to grab another one myself for the Galaxie. Only downside is it's a little heavy, but that just means I get to sculpt the guns whilst I carry my guitar :rolleyes::D

Yup, I've been drawn to the Mosrite look since I first saw one but the necks were too skinny on any of them I've run into for me to consider the real deal. I've checked out the Eastwood and Danelectro copies (think I liked the Dano one a bit better to be honest) but they weren't quite doing it for me. I've never tried the Hallmark one (or any Hallmark guitar for that matter) but they seem to be well regarded from what I hear. I like that this one, while clearly Mosrite inspired, seems like a touch less of a direct copy to me.

Aside from the oval tuner buttons I think the only thing that remains to be done on this one to complete the modern/somewhat more original (?) take on a Ventures model is a Zero Glide "nut". I figured it was prudent to make sure I got along w/ the guitar and get exact nut measurements (if anyone's curious it's 34.5mm E to e spacing which should be the ZS-3 model from Zero Glide) before ordering one.

I've got ideas of finding someone to fab a metal plate that would surround the tailpiece bushings (and potentially the bridge bushings as well) purely to make the tailpiece area more cosmetically similar to the Mosrite vibrato, but I'm not currently aware of any where to get that done.

Howard hughes likes this.
  14. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    hallmark have a fatter neck wider string spacing and wider neck width but i have never tried one. i used to love univox's ever hear of those? they are really thin though, they always have a cracked neck pocket. to be honest i think that pinto is really really nice! i own an original mosrite and i love a skinny neck but it needs to be restored badly. bob shade from hallmark offered to do a direct swap and i was tempted i have to say! this is the dipinto i saw in the magazine once and i loved it! but this is back in the early 90's, before the internet! it's awesome! dipinto_01.jpg

15. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    like this one? DV016_Jpg_Large_512627.655_red_with_white_racing_stripes.jpg

larryb and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  16. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I love the red...but not the racing stripes so much

Howard hughes likes this.
  17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Hey, Ho, Let`s go!
    Hey, Ho, Let`s go!

18. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Nice score Sid, what a cool Lady! Great work. Love the case too

thunder58 and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  19. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Cool case, too! (You didn't recently by any chance visit the lake behind my house, did you?...) ;)

[​IMG]

thunder58 and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  20. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    And that is why I will never go to Florida ever again. I was almost gator poop when I was three years old.

Telechamp and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.