Join Gretsch-Talk Today

my featherweight Les Pauls

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by RocknRollShakeUp, Aug 11, 2017.

1. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Gretschie

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Wow, you know, my first LP was a cherry burst standard also, and it was also either a 93 or 94! It was main gigging guitar when I was living in Los Angeles in the 90's and I was doing the original music club circuit. I was in a band called the Blackerbys, and that was my main guitar. It was like 10lb..well like 9.8lb if I remember right, but I loved it.. but I was also in my 20's!

Man, a 69 Deluxe is a major collectible guitar, as you undoubtedly realize! They are like $20K these days I think. Even a 71 is super cool! I think they go for like $4-6K! I think those mini humbuckers are really really cool. I could see the way you could do rockabilly with them as they can be pretty bright and chimey! I think they are fantastic pickups. I wouldn't mind getting an R6 and putting mini-humbuckers in there.

2. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Tnx, it would need to be a R4 though, and at a really good price at that.

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Been there and completely understand it. Enjoy it! :D

4. Mag3

Mag3 Gretschie

Nov 22, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Great Looking guitars! I really love Les Pauls with P90s.

5. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Thank you sir!

6. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Many thanks. I love Gibson's 50's wiring with P90's. It is amazing how they go from like, Fat Godzilla Johnny Thunders Raunch on 10 with gain, to chimey and glassy fat single coil with volume on 7-8 and tone on 5-7, on clean.

Mag3 likes this.
  7. Mag3

Mag3 Gretschie

Nov 22, 2016
    Massachusetts
    The only downside is that Gibson P90's are not reverse wound for hum cancelling in the middle position.

8. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Meh, flip the magnets and the leads on one.

RocknRollShakeUp and Mag3 like this.
  9. Mag3

Mag3 Gretschie

Nov 22, 2016
    Massachusetts
    True, I know there are mods but it surprises me the Gibson does not address this when all the boutique pickup makers have this option.

10. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I suspect it harks back to their most famed period in the '50s. The whole vintage authentic deal.
    You know how it is. People complain about the hum, but as soon as Gibson changes a single molecule on their guitars it brings about a small revolt. :D

RocknRollShakeUp and Mag3 like this.
  11. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I like Wildwood - great shop. They spec out a light Les Paul - that's cool.

12. Mag3

Mag3 Gretschie

Nov 22, 2016
    Massachusetts

13. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Lollar offers reverse wound P90's..maybe Fralin as well? I could see how that could be a big deal playing in certain venues.

I haven't been gigging for many years and mainly due recording projects and I haven't had a bad issue with hum yet. I've also really liked the stock pickups a whole lotta, so no reason to change at this point. But yeah there are options. Lastly one can get noiseless P90's I guess too, but that may kill the vibe a bit, possibly.

14. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    hmmm...well I haven't gigged in many years, but if I did a show..I'd be tempted!!! Maybe just one, and also get a beater 90s Junior or special as a back up :D ..and make sure it was a docile venue, like some beatnick cafe where I could beat the patrons into submission with one of my macho stares, if they get too rowdy with their vengeful and acerbic quips! And the worse thing thrown would be like a scone or something. :D

Mag3 and russmack like this.
  15. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Yeah I believe this is what it is. These are Custom Shop "Historics". The regular production USA non "Historic" line takes a more modern take on the instruments.
    But now Gibson has killed the CS Historic line, I believe in part, in an attempt to break free from the pressure of getting everything exactly like a 50's instrument, down to the plastics used..it was getting sort of crazy. They had a good thing going with the "historic" line, but then came out with the "true historic" line :D, where they made the price even more ridiculously high for, IMHO, very little in return, and I think those things flopped. So they killed the whole "Historic" line. Now they are just calling them Custom Shop Standards :D ... So we'll see what happens. It was a total soap opera on the Gibson forums over this. :D

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  16. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Aye ,every time i think about that guitar i remember what i bought and sold it for,bought it for £450 with non original case in 1990,sold it for £550 in 92 to help finance my Super Chet ,thought i done good too!:rolleyes:
    The last time i saw it was in the mid 90's and was in the arms of Sharlene Spiteri,i have no idea how or when it made its way to Scotland though.

17. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    What a cool story! Thanks for sharing! I had to look up who Ms. Spiteri was, wow, great singer, and very easy on the eyes!

JC higgy likes this.
  18. russmack

russmack Gretschie

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    On this subject, just a little bit to say: I've been playing a helluva lot of acoustic stuff over the last eighteen months.

My electrics seem to give me a lot of pain lately. I've liberated my Fenders for a short time during the past couple of months. They feel like hell for my neck and back. Fortunately my G6120 seems to be just a little bit more uncomfortable than my acoustics.

Sixty-ninth birthday tomorrow. Is something/anything trying to tell me something?

Bwaah har har!

Russ

19. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Happy Birthday Sir Russ!

I recon you can find a lighter guitar if you still stay in the Fender realm! Some Tele's are in the low 7 lb range, or even high 6 lb range! Danelectro's are super light, or Gibson wise, I think the Melody Makers are the lightest.
    My limit is nothing heavier then like MAX 8.5lb's. My heaviest guitar is 8.04 lbls I think, a Jazzmaster, but it balances pretty well. I prefer 8 lbs and below for sure.
    I don't have a guitar by this luthier, but his stuff is in the 5.5-6.5lb range which is about as light as an electric gets, and he's got such great and classy designs:
    https://www.yanuziello.com/instruments/#/electrics/

My only concern is that a guitar that is too light in the body could have neck dive, but that depends on design and strap button placement too. I had a Fano TC6, basically a Tele design, that was 6.8lbs and it sort of wanted to neck dive a bit, which strained my neck more than my 8lb Jazzmaster! So there is that too.

russmack likes this.