Join Gretsch-Talk Today

my featherweight Les Pauls

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by RocknRollShakeUp, Aug 11, 2017.

1. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Gretschie

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Hello Gretsch Friends!

I thought I'd share a few pictures of my Les Pauls (I just signed up for an imgur photo sharing account so I thought I'd put it to use)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They are Wildwood Guitars "featherweight Les Pauls" made with lightweight bodies/necks, non chambered and not weight relieved, an R7, and an R4. The R4 is 7.88lbs, and the R7 7.98lbs, but they may be an oz or two lighter since I took the ridiculous Gibson Custom metal p/u selector switch medallions off and replaced them with the included plastic ones. I used to have an early 90's, 10 lb, Les Paul Standard in my younger days and these days any guitar heavier than about 8.5 lbs makes my neck cry a little bit on the inside, but I dig Les Pauls so these where perfect for me.

I love the tone of these guitars. Both guitars have wildwood spec. underwound pickups as well. I find that with the volume rolled down 10-20% they clean up great, especially the p90's, but also snarl when on 10, especially the p90's. They both can give me the brighter type Les Paul sound (the p90 one more so of course) that I prefer, like a "tele on steroids" type of thing.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Nice pair! Love the R4!

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  3. russmack

russmack Gretschie

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    Yes. I thought that Goldie was an R7.

I had the chance to buy one in January this year.

Instead, for the same money I bought a HD-28, which had traveled quite a lot of miles. It's now at my luthier getting fixed. And I'm not really satisfied that I made the right decision.

You pays your money, and you makes your choice.

Tough, and we just have to live with our choice.

Russ

4. heinzman

heinzman Gretschie

Maybe I`m the only one.... but never in my life I will touch one of those Les Paul things !!!! Some of them ( like the two ones ) look nice... but ! ;-)

5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Nice looking LP's!

I was into LP's early in my journey, but then I gravitated to Strats, and eventually to Gretsh.

6. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Nice.

Excuse my total ignorance here, what the heck is the R4/R7 stuff? Is there some R rating for these that had eluded me all these years?

7. Gimper

Gimper Gretschie

Oct 30, 2016
    Canada
    Both gorgeous!

T simmons and RocknRollShakeUp like this.
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    R for Reissue. R8 is a '58, R9 is a '59 etc.

RocknRollShakeUp and englishman like this.
  9. Gimper

Gimper Gretschie

Oct 30, 2016
    Canada
    R stands for Reissue...

R2 ('52 Reissue)
    R4 ('54 Reissue)
    R6 ('56 Reissue)
    R7 ('57 Reissue)
    R8 ('58 Reissue)
    R9 ('59 Reissue)
    R0 ('60 Reissue)

Telechamp and RocknRollShakeUp like this.
  10. toddfan

toddfan Gretschie

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    Congrats! Those look pretty nice and I've been thinking about how to get a "lighter" Les Paul!

Now, I know.......:)p...stay away from the Wildwood website..:eek:..stay away from the Wildwood website.....o_O)

11. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Wow those Martin's are awesome though! I think it may have been the right guitar for you at the right time, or else it wouldn't have come into your life! I feel that way even for guitars that I eventually sell. I needed to be taught a lesson by them even though eventually we part ways.

To clarify, the gold one is a 1954 reissue (the R4), and the 57 reissue (R7) is the black one! I'm not sure how historically accurate this is, but it is an ebony 57 reissue.

12. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    They're all gone. I checked...:oops:

toddfan likes this.
  13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Beautiful specimen. (Although I would not consider lbs 7,88 to be featherweight.)
    I have my own opinion towards Gibson...:(

heinzman and RocknRollShakeUp like this.
  14. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Yeah it's weird how off put we can get about certain guitars! I was like that with telecasters for the longest time. I just thought they were ugly and uncomfortable. Great sound though. Well I've come around and now I want a butterscotch tele with a black guard!!!

And regarding Les Pauls, I am left totally uninspired by the usual "big top" bursts with the monster flame tops, they just look cheesy to me, I like gold tops, ebony tops, and ebony customs, and maybe like pelham blue or some such. But our tastes are so fickle, mine included, and it is such a subjective thing.

I only have one thus far, but it's rare that I see a Gretsch that I don't think is gorgeous though!

15. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Thank you! I started out on Strats, then Les Pauls. Now I play Strats, a Jazzmaster, the LP's, a few other odd guitars, and my new Black Falcon! I am definitely in a phase where I get so much joy out of playing different guitars depending on my mood and need!

16. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Thank you, yes...that Wildwood website has cost me a lot of money...beware!!! Another great way to go is to get a USED Chambered Historic Les Paul.

17. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    The others explained it very well, but yeah reissue 54, reissue 57.

I love your signature, the SAS is legendary, and I love their motto!

18. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    you may find a used one, keep checking on Reverb..I saw a used one, an R8 a few months ago

19. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Thank you. I know what you mean, but for Les Pauls, that is pretty darn "featherweight". Most are much heavier. More like in the 8.5-10lb range. And yes Gibson can put out some shockingly bad quality control and overpriced guitars.

loudnlousy likes this.
  20. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats ,those are lovely,especially the goldie!:cool:

Its been a long time since i owned a Les Paul,19 years in fact,i traded mine ,a 94 cherry sunburst Standard,for a 96 Gretsch Country Classic I.
    I wish i had it back though cause it was great for that sound.

Prior to the std, i had what i thought was a 71 Deluxe gold top with the mini buckers,but having trawled the interweb looking at info on them i think mine may have been a 69!
    Shame i sold that too,it had a superb tone,and surprisingly good for Rockabilly!