my DIY went off the rails

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by tom wolf, Nov 8, 2018.

1. tom wolf

tom wolf Electromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    oklahoma
    Hi fellas, old codger here with a question....I only have a 25w soldering iron, and was wondering could
    I solder the ground lug on a pot to the ground on the input jack...don't think it will get hot enuff to solder on top of the pot..thanks for any help you may care to give.....

2. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have soldered on top of pots with 25-watt iron, but you have to be careful not to damage the pot. The only time my 25 watt wasn't enough was when I was grounding a filter board to a chassis, the 25 didn't even come close to getting that job done.

ZackyDog likes this.
  3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    There's nothing that says you can't take all your grounds to a common eyelet screwed into shielding tape instead of soldering to the pot back; as matter of fact, I prefer doing my Strats and Teles this way. You could do something similar in a semi, but then the pot backs wouldn't be grounded as they would be on the shielding tape of a solid.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Sid Nitzerglobin and Bertotti like this.
  4. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    you need good solder, that lead free crap is a disaster. Kester or Chandler.. Iron should be around 400 degrees. Lightly sand the back of the pot(scratched and clean) and tin your leads and tip of soldering iron. Hot and quick is better than not so hot and not so quick. also place a heat shrink on the the uninsulated, stranded lead wire that is going to be soldered to the pot.. this will keep heat energy from climbing through the lead too far. plus I cant say enough about star grounding... IMO

ps. for a few yrs early on in my biz, I soldered some 2000 pedals w this Weller and at the time, ran lug 1 of the gain pot to the back of the pot w another fed over to the dc jack. so I have done waaaay too much pot... soldering :)

[​IMG]

..but this one is best, and I lurve it.
    [​IMG]

5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    As Tavo said---use the right solder---60/40 is the stuff.

Bertotti likes this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Get you a nice set up with a digital power supply, you will love it. I struggled along with a cruddy little iron for far too long.

7. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    A nice soldering station makes life easy. I guess now that you brought up this thread I should go finish my patch cables!

8. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    True !

A+!

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.