My dad is ALREADY looking at another LP... advice?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Calvin Lee 2, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Calvin Lee 2

Calvin Lee 2 Electromatic

Oct 9, 2017
    New York
    I told my dad about what everyone who commented on my previous thread said in regards to the Zakk Wylde Les Paul, and he decided to pass on it. Not even 30 minutes later, he texts me back that he had already found another Les Paul custom on reverb that he wanted to buy. This one sold before he could buy it (thankfully) but he's clearly GASing hard for a new guitar, and it's causing him to be a little too impulsive.

My parents do not have 3 grand to spend on an impulse guitar purchase right now. I've never been on this side of the G.A.S. issue though; it's always been other people telling me not to buy another guitar, not the other way around. It's kind of a weird position to be in.

(While typing that paragraph, he texted me again; this time about buying a 12-string.)

I never thought I'd be saying this, but how do you tell someone not to buy another guitar? (At least not so impulsively)

(He just texted me again asking about a gretsch guitar, and then immediately sent another text saying he found another Les Paul. The man has gone mad with G.A.S!)

drmilktruck likes this.
  2. ponca

ponca Gretschie

Nov 27, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Is he asking for your advice? If so I think you can at least make the point that he's looking at multiple different instruments right now and just picking one would be a good idea--you can only play one at a time after all, so getting multiple new guitars at once kind of makes you split up the same amount of enjoyment imo. And you could also sort of steer him towards something a bit less expensive if that's your concern ("I hear the Danelectro 12 strings are really cool...")

3. buchon2111

buchon2111 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2016
    Way down in the boondocks
    I wouldn't challenge my father if I were in your situation. Don't bite the hand that feeds you!

4. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    If he really wants a great Les Paul for an affordable price, he should look for a Signature T, a one year only special edition model from 2013.

I have such a wine red one ...

... but other colors exist too:

https://reverb.com/p/gibson-les-paul-signature-t-electric-guitar

PS: Tell him, he should do some research about it ;) ... and that this guitar needs cream colored knobs to match the pickguard ... that‘ll keep him busy for a while :D

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    drmilktruck likes this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Be VERY careful of counterfeit Les Pauls! A ridiculous amount of fakes are circulating.

RG7X, MotorCentaur and drmilktruck like this.
  6. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    England
    If this is genuine then I’m sure he’ll just buy something.

7. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Calvin , I know he's set on a Les Paul , but have you introduced him to a Gretsch Jet ? And speaking of 12's and Gretsch . I got this for $200 off on sale , and 2 years to pay it off no interest and I'm luvin' it . Musicians Friend ( wait for the next sale )

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Hammerhead and drmilktruck like this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Take him to a good music store and stick a Duo Jet in his hands. He may just forget all about Gibsons.

9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Lol your dad needs an intervention. I'm sure hexd love to hear it from his wife and son. ;)

TSims1 and drmilktruck like this.
  10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Aren't some made by Epiphone? :D

(Seriously, one of the guys at my late lamented local guitar shop (LLLGS) told me a story about a guy bringing in a Gibson Les Paul. Obviously a fake, probably sold out of the back of one of the factories that make Epiphones, yet equal in quality he said to anything made by Gibson in the States. Henry J might still be in his job if he had moved more production over seas and sold them at a profit. )

11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Calm down.
    Do not waste money on impulive buys.

RG7X and MotorCentaur like this.
  12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Hmmm, maybe. I've seen some pretty lame Chibson's. I would wayyyyyyy rather have the lowest tier Epiphone than one of those Chinese counterfeit Chibson's. I don't like the whole idea of them. I have plenty lawsuit '70s Japanese L.P. knockoff's but with their bolt on necks and other names on the headstock i think we're pretty safe.

13. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Easy! Tell him to get the best Les Paul there is! A Gretsch Jet!! Even better news? The uber affordable 5220’s are killer!! Lead him to those babies and tell him to get a GREAT guitar while saving his $! Seriously. They kill a LP.

14. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Know what's funny, my buddy bought a brand new LPC in '76 and it's basically worn out. He went lookin to buy a new one and couldn't find one he liked so he bought a black Pro Jet.
    He's still not feeling the Blacktops though so i may put some more PAF like pickups in it for him.

TSims1 likes this.
  15. dilver

dilver Country Gent

Feb 16, 2009
    NJ
    I love Les Pauls and would never talk someone out of getting one. But it always bothers me when people who can’t really afford a guitar, buy it anyway. It just means that in a few months the guitar will be orphaned and that’s kind of sad. I am comforted by the fact that this is how I’ve acquired a lot of my gear, used :)

Flouswa likes this.
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
  17. BuddieGreen

BuddieGreen Gretschie

Sep 3, 2018
    indiana usa
    a friend of mine was over last night and picked up my 5230 and start playing thru my old 70s champ. hes more a metal/classic hard rock guy, but after about 30 mins he said man i like this guitar, what do want for it. told him it wasnt for sale but showed him some links. he was flabbergasted when i told him i paid 350 shipped. im sure next time i see him he'll have a gretsch! :)

18. Calvin Lee 2

Oct 9, 2017
    New York
    Definitely some good suggestions here. I love the idea of getting him into gretsch guitars (especially since he was the one that brought up getting a gretsch, so he's already interested). So instead of just going, "hey, adult man that helped raise me; don't spend your own hard-earned money on the guitar you want", I told him about the electromatics, and how high the quality is for the price, how cool some of them look, etcetera. I think steering him in that direction was the right choice. I didn't have to say "I know you can't afford another Les Paul right now", I simply nudged him in a different, more realistically affordable direction.

You'd think (being a les paul fanatic) he would go for a jet, but he's actually looking more at hollowbodies, and some of the center-block models. I think that's a pretty good idea though, because it's very different than anything he already owns, so it's a more justifiable purchase IMO.

section2 and Flouswa like this.
  19. Calvin Lee 2

Oct 9, 2017
    New York
    Holy moly, that is one gorgeous guitar! I'd love to own some sort of jet some day; if I ever have the money and decide to get one, I think a firebird would be at the top of my list of jets to buy. Or a double-cut with single coils... or a sparkle jet... or one of those beautiful knotty pine models... (can't decide; guess I'll need one of each! :p )

Bertotti likes this.
  20. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    You might remember ... I once was a pure Les Paul player ... and what was my first Gretsch? A Panther ;)

But hey the current gen G5422 got much better. OTOH ... that Powerjet on Reverb for just 1000 bucks is too tempting :cool: I was once interested in that model, but thankfully it was sold out everywhere and I got my Broadway Jade Penguin instead :D

Bertotti likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice