My amps loud enough to wake Jimmy Hoffa

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by StratocasterKid, Jul 4, 2018.

1. StratocasterKid

StratocasterKid Electromatic

Jul 4, 2018
    shreveport
    Thanks, I wish they had a switch to run low power or full power

2. StratocasterKid

Jul 4, 2018
    shreveport
    That's actually pretty cool

3. StratocasterKid

Jul 4, 2018
    shreveport
    It's not a party unless something gets broken or the police show up

4. vyndance

vyndance Gretschie

Dec 12, 2014
    Bear Valley Springs, CA
    You bet, cheap mod and makes the linear pot manageable. Turned up to 6 it's about the same volume as my 68 CDR on 2. Dimed it's still loud enough to get through the drums and move air.

5. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    How does it affect the tone?

6. vyndance

vyndance Gretschie

Dec 12, 2014
    Bear Valley Springs, CA
    None clean. Break up has to come from the floor.

6124Bassman likes this.
  7. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    have you ever seen that youtube video where this guy mods the amp, well not really mod but he takes a certain valve out or a couple i think and its makes it ten times quieter but doesnt hinder the sound at all? ill try find it if you like?

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yep that's one of the issues with old style Fender tube amps.
    Good for gigging but they are pretty poor for home use.
    Like all old style tube amps you need to crank them to get to their sweet spots tone wise.
    But even on low wattage Fenders that's way too loud for home use normally without using a good attenuator.
    And the Hot Rod is known for having a jerky non sensitive volume pot that goes from almost quiet direct to smashing the windows.

Modern tube amps like Mesa Boogie's of course have variable wattage options ranging from 5, 10, 25 ,50 watts or more and very sensitive master volume controls. This delivers fantastic tone quality at bedroom volume levels right up to gigging stadiums. No attenuator needed :)

If you're going to keep the Hot Rod you could go for the best attenuator - this one.
    http://www.fryette.com/power-station-integrated-reactance-amplifier/
    It's by far the best attenuator (and re-amper and series loop) available today ....but then it costs more than the Fender :)

9. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    La Quinta, CA
    I giggle at your paltry DeVille! I play my High Powered Tweed Twin at home, and at almost all of my gigs.

But, I use my guitar's volume knobs a lot and I am not trying for heavy overdrive from my amp either. I also play pretty clean, especially at home.

Seriously, the 60 watt DeVille is probably too much for most guys at home. I had a 410 Blues DeVille I bought off Craigslist to repair and flip. It is the only Hot Rod/Blues series amp I ever liked. But, the volume went from unheard to ridiculously loud very quickly. My Twin goes kinda slow on the volume sweep (which I greatly appreciate!).

The volume boxes in the effects loop is an old trick, and it does tame the overall volume. But, it will also remove any possibility of power tube breakup. It's basically like installing a pre-phase-inverter-master volume. I've never tired one... I did try a Weber Minimass on my old Deluxe Reverb, when I lived in a townhouse, with younger children. It did cut down the volume, but it also muffled the highs. It worked good at band practice, to cut off just a few dB. But, crushing the volume crushed the tone.

Sadly, there is no perfect solution that still involves tubes.

10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ahh there are actually many perfect solutions made last 10 years but Fender don't make any of em :)
    The Fryette Power Station is a 100% transparent attenuator and x100 better than the old Webers.

And you should test out modern tube amps with variable wattage settings.
    The best one's produce fantastic tube amp tones at bedroom volume levels.
    Mesa Boogie have been making them for 15 yrs :)

Axis39 likes this.
  11. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    La Quinta, CA
    I always forget about the Fryette PS. I look at them every time they get mentioned on TGP, or elsewhere. And I am usually (gear fund) broke at the time, so they slip my mind.

I had a Mesa Mk IV for about 18 years. It did have great tone. it was an excellent amp, but heavy as a b****. Makes my current Tweed Twin seem like a baby bird in comparison!

After a number of recent years of switching and swapping, I believe I have truly settled on my tone, and that is the big Tweeds, my Twin and my Bassman. I have contemplated PPMVs, or a PowerStation at different points.

I can honestly say, I keep wanting to like new amps. I go and try them out as often as I can. I chase down Youtube demos of a bunch of them. I really want to get my hands on one of these new Marshall Origins, for example. But, in the end, there is nothing that compares to my Twin, even for low volume playing. I keep hoping for the super lightweight, 20 watt version to pop up.... But, it just ain't out there, or I haven't found it yet.

12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I'm looking hard at Tone King Inperial MKII. 20w, 2 channel, 36lbs. Concerned about clean headroom. Ever try one?

13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Try this one.
    Mark V 25 weighs 12 pounds.
    Mark V 35 head weighs 27 pounds. Combo weighs 44 pounds.
    And both have cleans & reverb as great as a Twin imo :)
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/mark-series/mark-five-35/index.html

[​IMG]

Bertotti likes this.
  14. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    La Quinta, CA
    I'm sorry, no, I haven't had the pleasure. I've played one or two Tone Kings and been impressed with each.

20 watts and clean headroom don't compute to me, though. I gotta be honest. I had a Deluxe Reverb for a while and it was 22 watts was not enough for clean headroom with anything other than electronic drums or home practice. My minimum for years was 35 watts for clean. These days, I like a good bit of hair on my clean. To really get it good, I still like big glass and big iron.

Henry likes this.
  15. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    La Quinta, CA
    I believe those are more blackface tones. Very, very different than my HP Tweed Twin.

Although, to be honest, I haven't played a lotta Mesas since I got rid of mine.

16. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Thanks. My Mesa does clean at ear splitting volumes at 15w and 25w. There probably isn't a better amp for my purposes, the only con is the weight and it isn't that bad at 46lbs.

17. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I didn't say the clean tones of Mark V were the same as a Twin.
    Mark V 25 and 35 EL84 clean tones are different to the Twin - just of equal quality to the Twin imo..... and far more versatile too.
    Mark V has 2 clean voices - standard clean and fat clean.
    Fat clean is my personal favourite.
    The range of clean tones available is far greater than the Twin.
    And the Mesa spring reverb is of equal quality also imo.

I'm an ex Twin owner and to my ears it has the best clean tones Fender ever produced.
    It's a great old school Fender amp but way too heavy and non versatile to suit my needs now.
    Other Mesa amps like the Lonestar Classic, Express 5:50 with 6L6 tubes have similar clean tones to the Twin. Also of equal quality imo :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  18. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    and Sweetwater always does a good review :)

19. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    La Quinta, CA
    So, I took a look at the video... I am not really drawn to that tone. It's a great sound, but just not mine.

I looked up the amp online, just to see specs and try to do a comparison. The Mark 5:35 weighs 44 lbs. My Tweed Twin weighs 46. Yes, there's the channel switching and stuff, and a much more modern sound than what I go for. But, I own my Twin, and what I've got in it is less than any of the Mesa 5 series amps advertised on Sweetwater's website.

Lonestars are bit cheaper.... Looked at a video or two of those as well. Also a great sound, but not mine.

It's like the Fender Hot Rod series amps... A go-zillion dudes love them. I cannot stand them. There is an upper mid presence that gives me ear fatigue within minutes.

I have a certain sound that's mine, it is a Tweed Bassman or a Tweed Twin with some reverb out front and single coils pushing them. The cleans are a bit hairy, a bit fat and compressed with a lot of overtones. The later Fenders, Mesas and some other amps are a bit too scooped, a bit too clean of a clean, if you will. It works for a lotta guys and I can always get a good sound out of about any amp I plug into. But, homebase is my Twin or my Bassman.

My question to you is, you mention you are a former Twin owner... is that a Twin Reverb? Evil Twin, or something closer to my Tweed Twin? (I'm always looking for other Tweed Twin owners)

20. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Even a 1 watt amp can get the gendarmes at your door, depending on your neighbors. 50 watt amps for home use are serious overkill. You've got to use the right tool for the job.