My Aleutian Blue G5230

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Centaur_Block, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Centaur_Block

Centaur_Block Electromatic

Mar 24, 2019
    Burbank, CA
    Hey, everyone!

I'm new here, and wanted to post pics of my recent acquisition: An Aleutian Blue G5230 Electromatic Jet!

I love this guitar. I'd been eyeing a Players Edition 6228 for a while. However, "budget"—as well as the day I saw the 5230 was going to be offered in this gorgeous Aleutian Blue finish—steered me in the direction of China. :D Honestly, though… I'd played a 6228 at my local Guitar Center some months back (and yes, I loved it). But from the first time I picked-up this 5230, I felt the same love. The neck feels the same, and it sounds darn good!

A friend, when I told him what I'd bought, suggested I replace the Blacktop Filter'Trons with "real ones". Hmmm! o_O I am not sure what he meant by that. These pickups sound great to my ears, but I guess there are "better" Filter'Trons (made in the U.S.? Japan?) that I could swap-out these stock pickups with? I see no need to make this modification, but any info would be much appreciated.

Anyway, here she is! It's really cool how the blue changes in the different light. Sometimes it looks "cobalt", other times it looks "ocean"…

20190222_204645_HDR.jpg

20190222_203845_HDR.jpg 20190222_203855_HDR.jpg
    20190222_203936_HDR.jpg

2. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I'm a sucker for a pretty Jet...and that's a pretty Jet:) Aloha and I like the user name.

Centaur_Block likes this.
  3. Centaur_Block

Mar 24, 2019
    Burbank, CA
    Thanks! It truly is a beauty... perhaps the purdiest gee-tar I've ever owned.

blueruins likes this.
  4. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Much of the crowd around here swear by TV Jones Filtertrons, but those blacktops in your guitar seem to be very well respected and a large swath of us keep 'em stock.

thunder58, Merc and Centaur_Block like this.
  5. Centaur_Block

Mar 24, 2019
    Burbank, CA
    Ahhh... ok. TV Jones is what he meant. Thanks for clarifying.

Truth be told, I don't know as much about Gretsch electronics as I do say, Gibsons. I always thought Filter'Trons were one kind of Gretsch pickup, while TV Jones were another type of pickup altogether. Kind'a like a P90 vs. a PAF.

blueruins likes this.
  6. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    A beautiful blue. Congratulations!

Yes, a Gretsch can love being modded to include the pickups. It depends both what sound you’re after and what you’re using it for. Some opinions may differ, but the thought process for me has always been as long as I’m happy with the sound is all that I care about. It’s easy for other’s to tell you how you should spend your money since it costs them zilch. If you’re happy with the sound, I say rock on and enjoy your new love.

Centaur_Block and blueruins like this.
  7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Gretsch are really coming up with some great colors recently, especially the new shades of Blue.

8. Centaur_Block

Mar 24, 2019
    Burbank, CA
    I had an Airline Silver on back-order… and I'm glad it was back-ordered. Because, when I saw this blue, my jaw hit the floor and I immediately called and changed my order.

Also, I had to buy a case for it… as this guitar deserved one!

Merc and audept like this.
  9. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Yeah man. Something happens in my brain when I saw the Fairlane blue 5435...just can't find one for a price I'm willing to pay.

audept likes this.
  10. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    I hear what you're saying. I have a 6228, a 5435 and a 5220. The latter two have blacktop filtertrons and broadtrons, respectively. The 6228 has USA Broadtrons. They all sound great to me and slightly different. I got the 5435 first and thought maybe the guitar might be better with upgraded pus but it sounded so good I resisted the urge. Same thing with the 5220. The 6228 is the lightest of the three and has USA pus but there is something about the 5220 which feels so accommodating - it just asks to be played and sounds great!

11. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Nice Blue & Nice Guitar...

A+!

12. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Congratulations . I've been gassing for a Jet myself . Enjoy , she's a beauty

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice