My 5E3 video clips

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by JohnnyCrash, Apr 25, 2009.

1. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Gretschie

Nov 22, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I finally got started with YouTube and making videos!

I figured I'd post these even though the video, audio, and playing are ALL pretty awful... hopefully, somewhere in there you can sorta get an idea of what the 5E3 circuit can do.

2. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Gretschie

Nov 22, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Here's a second clip.

This time I switched (my rectifier switch is under the chassis by the power cord) to SS rectifier instead of 5Y3 (and additional 40uF filter cap at the first node) as well as switched it to "Marshall mode" (Tone knob is a pull-switch that changes from the stock 5E3 preamp setup to a Marshall bright channel on V1's cathode ressitor and cap):

3. JohnnyRingo

JohnnyRingo Gretschie

Jul 13, 2008
    Georgia
    I like it JohnnyCrash.Got a mean sound and a nice clean tone.Those amps just drool the blues.What speaker are you using?Keep up the Youtube vids,I was nervous,but eager posting my two videos.I am almost done with a third.You could really have fun with them,cause from what I see and hear,you can "Kick out the Jams(MF)".See you on the tube.

4. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Gretschie

Nov 22, 2008
    Fullerton, CA

MC5 is alive!

HAHA

Thanks. I have about a dozen amps I built that I'll likely eventually put on YouTube. I wanted to see/hear 50w plexi clips with a PPIMV mod to know if my build was going to be crunchy enough at home - couldn't find too many YouTube clips though... which means I'll have to share mine, now that its built :)

5. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    Awesome tone Crash! The mod you did really changes it into a rock and roll beast. You just confirmed that my first build is what I want in an amp. I would like to hear how sensitive it is when using the guitar's volume control. I love how it compresses and gets all nasty but can sound clean and sweet. It must be a great tool in the studio.

6. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Thanks johnny! That sounded really good . Keep up the good work!

7. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Both clips sound great...even the Marshall sound is good(and I'm ordinarily very skeptical about such things)!

8. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Gretschie

Nov 22, 2008
    Fullerton, CA

Thanks!

I like stock 5E3 mode, but its nice to have the extra flexibility of a tighter bottom end and a Marshall style preamp. Plus if for whatever reason my NOS 5Y3 rectifier croaks, I can simply switch to solid state rectification.

9. getbent

getbent Super Moderator

Jun 1, 2008
    sunny california
    dig it JC! keep'em coming... it is a hassle doing clips fo sho.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice