Join Gretsch-Talk Today

My 5620T is finally dialed in!

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Zoomie517, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Zoomie517

Zoomie517 Electromatic

May 11, 2018
    Kingsport, TN
    80BA0538-B34A-4C52-97F0-DCCAFA1BC19E.jpeg 5736139D-6FE5-468A-A217-A2CCD48AF59D.jpeg just got my 5620T back from the tech. I asked him to address what I believe to be the weak points of the instrument, thanks to everyone here!

Let me just say that I am beyond amazed that such a modest investment made a good guitar absolutely incredible. Stays in tune. Capos correctly without a re-tune. And it feels and sounds awesome!

Wrench List:

Swapped horrid plastic nut for bone nut.
    Swapped tuners for Grover locking tuners.
    Swapped stock bridge to a quality roller bridge.
    Treble bleed installed on volumes.
    Switchcraft pick up selecter switch and jack.
    Jack plate added.
    Fret level and polish.
    Complete set-up.

I am one happy Gretsch owner!

section2, CNPCNP, MTurner and 3 others like this.
  2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Welcome and congrats, nice Gretsch you have there :)

Zoomie517 likes this.
  3. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    New Jersey
    Looks like you just created the perfect 5620T
    I owned one but sadly and stupidly sold it.

Zoomie517 likes this.
  4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Very nice. This is the first gretsch model I ever played.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Zoomie517 likes this.
  5. Zoomie517

Zoomie517 Electromatic

May 11, 2018
    Kingsport, TN
    I was originally on the fence a bit with it. I finally spent some time with it and decided to resolve irritants. I’m glad I did.

I don’t think it would hard to chase another one down.

6. Zoomie517

Zoomie517 Electromatic

May 11, 2018
    Kingsport, TN
    I really like it. And I am one of the folks that loves the stock pick ups.

7. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Welcome and congrats Zoomie..I love the green and the cat's eyes!

Zoomie517 likes this.
  8. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Zoomie517 !
    greenDoormat.jpg

Zoomie517 likes this.
  9. CNPCNP

CNPCNP Gretschie

Jan 3, 2015
    NL
    Nice! I chose its brother (5622) back then but it wasn't easy. Must admit the third (middle) PU doesn't see that much use, so the 5620 has most likely the benefit that the bridge PU is a little bit further away from the bridge. Enjoy this guitar!

Zoomie517 likes this.
  10. Zoomie517

Zoomie517 Electromatic

May 11, 2018
    Kingsport, TN
    I like the 5622 an awful lot. That said, this thing is a tank as it is. I’ll take e wry ounce I can get. I’ve a bass dangling around my deck for a little over 3 decades. 8.5 pounds is the sweet spot for me. And the 5620 has clearly been eating lots of donuts!

LivingMyDream likes this.
  11. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Congrats on dialing in the 5620 to make it "perfect." I got a chance to try out a used 5622 (3 pickups) at a GC couple of months ago, and even though I don't "need" another guitar, I still can't completely shake the GAS. Being a Strat player as well as my Gretsch guitars, that 3rd Super HiLoTron has intrigued ever since I found out about it. Having gotten to play one now, I was impressed enough to run through the possible acquisition in my mind. I wasn't all that aware of the weight because I play it sitting down, but then I did expect some extra weight due to the center block. I love the sound of the Super HiLoTrons, so with guys like you talking about their guitar, I'm dyin' here in Clarksville. ;)

12. CNPCNP

CNPCNP Gretschie

Jan 3, 2015
    NL
    I forgot to add: for the 5620 it might have the benefit that the bridge-PU is somewhat less thin/extreme/... as it is on the 5622 - relatively speaking.

(I'm originally a bass player as well, so fine with some weight in instruments)

Just let us know in which direction you'd like us to steer you ;-)

PRO: The 5622 approaches 3-PU in a different way as a strat, might be interesting!

CON: you do have already a 3-PU guitar

PRO: Strats don't come in that gorgeous Georgia Green...

etc etc ;-)

LivingMyDream likes this.
  13. Zoomie517

Zoomie517 Electromatic

May 11, 2018
    Kingsport, TN
    73E43649-75A3-4172-8EFE-EA52D31FBBEA.jpeg speaking with great ignorance as this is my first Gretsch, I prefer the Super Hi Lo’s to the Filtertrons. Now this may have more to do with the center block (compared to a 6000 series I played, to my ears I felt like I get a hair more low mids with the Super, while still retaining enough of the chime and sparkle up top.

Apparently we’re two peas in a pod. Here’s my 2001 USA Standard Strat. It’s a different kind of sexy.

russmack and LivingMyDream like this.
  14. collama

collama Electromatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Colorado
    Curious how much that cost to do, if you don’t mind sharing. I have a 5620t. I’ve had the nut replaced and a set up, which made a huge difference, but I’m considering a bridge and treble bleed upgrade.

15. Zoomie517

Zoomie517 Electromatic

May 11, 2018
    Kingsport, TN
    All told it was right around 300.00, excluding locking tuners. So 360 ish? Bridge And tuners are obviously biggest chunk.

Tonally it really brings the guitar to life, not to mention eliminating tuning issues.

Worth every penny and totally killed the need to drop 3k on Gretsch.

Although I’m currently pining for a Duo Jet. Problem!