MXR Analog Chorus

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Bertotti, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Well, I like chorus is small doses or when I am goofing off. I have the MXR analog chorus but just can't quite get what I am looking for. I haven't had it long and it may be I just need to learn to tweak it better. Does anyone here have one of these? I don't know if it is me or the pedal, I suspect I can get better at tweaking it. I am hoping I choose poorly. It has a lot of knobs and like I said I suspect it is just me not knowing the best way to set it. Any thoughts welcome but just a heads up I will not be buying a different one at this time so that suggestion won't be considered.

Edit to add it just occurred to me maybe it is the order I have the pedals. Perhaps I should put it before the carbon copy.

2. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I would experiment with all other pedals off at first, then pedal order wouldn't matter.

3. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I also don't like extreme chorus, but nearly always use a slight chorus for nicer cleans or to thicken overdrive.

I use a Boss Chorus Ensemble and love it.

4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I think the chorus pedal is my favorite effect pedal of all the pedals I have . I have the Strymon Ola and I really like what it does . Lately I've been eyeballing the TC Electronic AfterGlow . Don't know what it is but it looks and sounds interesting . With that said ..... I know your not looking to purchase another chorus soon so try tweaking and rearranging the order of the pedals . Hope it all works out for you

5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

I have tried out a number of chorus pedals - Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus, Boss CH-1, Boss CE-5, MXR Analog Chorus, and even a Visual Sound H2O Chorus/Echo. One thing that I noticed is that some of the pedal's tone is weighted a darker, while others are brighter. Which you would like would depend on the tone you prefer, and also how the brighter or darker tone would fit well with your other pedals.

I actually started with the Visual Sound Chorus/Echo, and liked it at first. I let it go after a few years and got a Boss CH-1, but I never bonded with it at all, so I went on to the Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus, which I really liked (you can get a very nice Leslie sound), except for the click that I seemed to add to the signal. I still have it (just wanting to see if someone can get rid of the click), but I got a Boss CE-5, and I really like that pedal. In the past year, I happened to see a really good deal on an MRX Analog Chorus, so I got it thinking that it might be similar to the Voodoo Lab pedal. It wasn't quite the case, but I still work with it from time to time, giving it more time for a decision on it's fate.

For now, the Boss CE-5 is in the number one position, although I generally find myself using an occasional chorus pedal.

6. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I have this one, the M-148 Micro Chorus, one knob :

[​IMG]

It has the classic, all-around chorus sound I need, no hassle.

Yes, of course. You will sound clearer. Delays or Reverb should always been at the end of the chain...

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

Bertotti likes this.
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Love/hate chorus pedals, so I been there before trying to dial one in. I had this one for a short time before I replaced it, but it was great, the tone knobs were very useful. Did you try getting the 100 percent effected tone to a texture you like (rate/depth)? After you adjust that, set the tone. Last step is to mix it in to a level you can live with. If you play with dirt and chorus, then you’ll likely have to adjust again, just depends.

It’d be helpful to reference a tone youre looking for, YouTube vid or track.

8. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Gretschie

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    After researching, I ended up with the TC Electronics Corona. It was billed as the "chorus peddle for people who hate chorus". It can do the classic chorus sound which I use on some of the slower hymn-based songs at church. Where is really shines though is when you want just that hint of warble to make it interesting. I found a good tone print for a clean chorus voice that I use sparingly to put that shimmer on the big chords. I find it to be a good match for Gretsch filterons.

9. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Where is it in the chain? Chorus after compressor tends to get shrill, especially Ross types like the original Keeley classic.

What is it that you don't like about it? I have too much experience with choruses - I've owned just about every one. They're either too shrill, volume jumps, too overpowering, too thick, too whatever. And yet I keep buying them. Guess I'm on the eternal hunt.

10. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I just want a slight thickening. I don't have a specific track or vid in mind. It seems like I either get too much or too little it is at the end of my chain but I don't generally use it with the jangle box on or the Barber on. RC Boost yes Delay sometimes. I think it might benefit me to put it in the loop but not all my amps have an fx loop so I was trying to dial it in outside of a loop. I am getting closer and believe it is just my tweaks that aren't quite right.

11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Keeley DynoMyRoto is my favorite chorus. I have 2 of them just in case......

12. JCarno

JCarno Gretschie

Jun 22, 2014
    Finger Lakes
    I have the MXR BLS Chorus(same pedal, different color).
    First thing you need to do is make sure the "high" and "low"
    are set to unity with your amp(unless you want more highs or lows when pedal engaged).
    I use mine in a stereo situation with 2 amps and set the speed at around 8 o'clock and rate around 2 o'clock.
    Level to taste which in my case is all the way on because it levels out the 2 amps.
    Good luck! It's a great pedal.
    I also have a TC Corona Chorus that is also used in a stereo situation. I don't like it as much as the MXR. YMMV!

Bertotti likes this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Ok how do you know when the settings are in unity with the amp?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  14. JCarno

JCarno Gretschie

Jun 22, 2014
    Finger Lakes
    Play with the pedal off, listen, then turn it on and listen again.
    By unity, I mean that with the pedal engaged, it doesn't change the bass or treble of your dry tone. Maybe unity isn't the proper word here.

Bertotti likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice