Musical Infatuations

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Apr 16, 2019.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Because of the recent chorus pedal thread, I started to listening to a whole bunch of dream pop - Slowdive and Lush particularly.

Before that I was on a Burt Bacharach/Hal David kick. Dionne, Dusty and my favorite BB/HD track from an unlikely source.

Earlier in the year it was the Byrds.

Do other people do this, become infatuated with an artist or genre and need to listen to it intensely and then move onto something else? It may last days, weeks, months, even years. Or am I the only insane serial musical obsessive?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Serially musically obsessive is a perfect way to describe my listening habits. I do this all of the time but with the same bands or genres for over 20 years.
    I just finished a classic country kick, now I’m in the thick of a stones kick which usually lasts about a week or two.
    What’s next? I dunno...

3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    It definitely sounds like you have a problem, Jim! Better see a doctor! :D

LivingMyDream and drmilktruck like this.
  4. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    The short answer is yes.

The long answer is yes, sir.

drmilktruck likes this.
  5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Guilty as charged. For a while, I was on a Chicago kick, some years back I was on an Eagles kick. Along the way, I bought and listened to everything that Gram Parsons ever did. I went through a Setzer phase, a Jeff Beck phase, a Beach Boys phase, a Miles Davis phase, a Johnny Smith phase, a Tal Farlow phase, etc. Some of the above are perennial favorites, others, not so much.

thunder58, ishtar and drmilktruck like this.
  6. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Do you know a good one, that takes my insurance?

audept likes this.
  7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow. I know I can trust him because he's a music lover and an amateur guitar player. In Oz we have Medicare national health insurance for doctor visits.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  8. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Yes, don’t get me started, although there are issues with national health services too, just fewer than the US system.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  9. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    I do that as well Jim. I just avoid folks I have performed with, that was another life ! I know you get it !

drmilktruck likes this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Yes! Irish folk tunes, Irish punk, then Russian and Asian folk. Bluegrass, country, and '30s jazz. I just keep adding more nd more to my personal playlist.

Check out my latest infatuation---Rachel Price and Lake Street Dive.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    drmilktruck likes this.
  11. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    Does Blues and Jazz count?

drmilktruck likes this.
  12. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I will occasionally fall into a kinda Diva sad song jag. Thinks like;

drmilktruck likes this.
  13. afire

afire Country Gent

That's the only way I consume music these days. It might be a few weeks of folk-pop (We Five, Seekers, Joey Power) followed by six months of virtually nothing but Everly brothers, followed by a month of big band, followed by a year of girl bubblegumish (I went on a real bender of Peggy March/Skeeter Davis/Diane Renay/Shelley Fabares/Leslie Gore/Chordettes/Murmaids type stuff and might have come to the conclusion that that's where my musical heart really lies). I mentioned this on a "guilty pleasure" thread on another forum and somebody replied with one of my all-time favorite comments - "I don't like anybody who even knows somebody that doesn't like "Johnny Angel."

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    drmilktruck likes this.
  14. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I probably should add that I have a degree of rotation, in the mix. Every so often, I become quite taken with Karen Carpenter’s singing and listen to almost everything they ever recorded. (She is an excellent vocal teacher, although it would take a basso profundo to stay an octave below her. I’m a bass-baritone and I can sing along in her octave, missing only the highest notes. She was a powerful alto.). Then I might leave Karen behind and start listening to Chet; then I’ll hear one of his duets with Suzy Boggus and take a trip through her songs. Then it might be Boz Skaggs, Alseep At The Wheel or Jim Hall, or Pablo Cruise. Believe it or not, all of the above are repeated musical fascinations. (If you haven’t heard David Jenkins’ guitar solo on Pablo Cruise’ “Love Will Find A Way”, do yourself a favor and give it a listen.) Of course I left out Johnny Rivers, who, like Boz Skaggs, is equally adept as a guitarist as he is a singer.

Lest I be struck by lightning; I listen to Chester and Lester probably more than any other single album in my collection. One more picogram of talent in that studio and it would have exceeded critical mass. :)

LivingMyDream and drmilktruck like this.
  15. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I go in spurts of listening mainly to one artist or genre for a few months, then move on, all the while always coming full circle. When I was younger I was always searching for new music. It’s now mainly a rotation of what I already have. There are a handful of artists that I always pick up any new releases from.

The main heavy hitter rotations for this year has been Darrel Highman, Setzer, Nekromantix, and Hola Ghost.

drmilktruck likes this.
  16. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Imelda's siren song will lead me to my demise.

drmilktruck likes this.
  17. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I'm on a Pavarotti kick at work

toddfan and drmilktruck like this.
  18. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Depends.
    I have periods (such as nowadays) when I don't have any specific crush and randomly browse my record collection or YouTube.
    And I have periods when I exclusively listen to an artist I'm very familiar with. Recent examples: David Bowie after watching (again) his 2002 Olympia concert on YT. Bob Dylan, which may be various eras from his opus (early 60s acoustic, late seventies and christian period, ol'Bob i.e. after Time Out Of Mind...). Van Morrison also. Gun Club, of course.

drmilktruck likes this.
  19. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Gretschie

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    Yes I do. To the point my wife and kids start begging me to play something different. The best is when I catch them humming a tune I’ve been obsessing over, the ear worm is a viscous little beastie.

calebaaron666, Merc and drmilktruck like this.
  20. I do similarly But music listening has changed quite a bit through the years for me. In the day, i pop on a record and listen. Eventually cd’s. But i rarely listen to music at home now, i prefer quiet. When i am in my car, the local radio makes me go through the same phase every day, a little free bird followed by some walk this way. So mostly its NPR. My wife’s car has the satellite radio. The few times i drive that i go through these phases. I have the Elvis channel tuned in, will do that for a few days. The dead channel, but recently i found the old time radio station. They play burns and Allen, bob hope, episodes of the shadow with Olson wells.

I think we can all agree we go through these phases, maybe not listening to music, but window shopping for gear until the next piece comes along to distract us. I, and would say we for most of us, are like dogs. Happy sitting around snoozing until a SQUIRREL comes by and distracts us.

Merc and drmilktruck like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice