Music and Memory

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, May 13, 2019.

1. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

When I bought my 2012 Grand Cherokee, this past December, it came with a free trial of Sirius XM. I'm listening to it now (the Classic Vinyl channel is a bit of a fav), but the basic thing that I'm hearing is that it's basically a collection of radio stations that you can get anywhere. The other is that I do what I do with every other radio station - I surf between the stations looking for songs that I want to hear. Frankly, I can plug in my iPod Touch mini and get a long list of songs that I love, so on a 10 hour drive, I would be surfing, just driving and enjoying songs (for free).

So what's the point of Sirius XM, and why would I pay for it when my free trial is over?

new6659 likes this.
  2. ramjac

ramjac Electromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin

I felt a lot like Daniel Stern until my memory started to fail me.

drmilktruck likes this.
  3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    For me, the music of 1971 has always been significant. I had a brush with death in September of 1970, followed by a long, hard trek back and then better health than I had ever experienced. By the spring of ‘71, the world looked pretty good to me and I loved a lot of the music from that year. I Am, I Said (Neil Diamond), Stoney End (Barbara Streisand), Riders on the Storm (Doors), and many more.

Then I heard Chicago’s Beginnings and it so perfectly matched how I was feeling. A year before, I was sick and didn’t know why, but at that point I was feeling great, I had a driver’s license and lots of friends; life was just beginning, just like the song.

I always had a good memory, and hearing the songs from that year brings back very specific memories. I remember places, people, and at times even specific conversations. I remember the time that a friend had me stop at the drug store and he came out with a piece of fudge which could have fed an entire army, then subsequently consumed the whole thing while I watched aghast.

There was a guy in the neighborhood with a brand New Plymouth Barracuda that had 14” wide Firestone Indy tires on the back. Another guy had a short-bed Ford pickup in bright red with custom wheels. Yet another had a brand new Road Runner, dressed to the nines. My friend Mac had a two year old Road Runner jacked up about 6” with huge meatballs on the back and skinny tires on the front. Those things seemed quite important when I was 16.

Add in the gorgeous weather of Colorado’s Front Range and it gets pretty amazing. Just play a hit from 1971 and I can feel it all coming right back to me.

4. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN

Great story, Mark... it's funny how we link music to memories; no matter how trivial or small-- and we do it almost automatically without thinking. I began listening to the radio at a very young age, around 1967 (I was four back then). I started reading when I was four (mom was an elementary school teacher) and by the time I was in second grade, I was reading at a 5th grade level and I was actively keeping up with the Top 40. This has given me a wider range of music memory than most people my age, so even though I was only 8 in 1971, I could tell you many of the top 10 hits from that year, and several years after that.

So, here's one to jog your nostalgic memories-- from the Spring of 1971--a great song to cruise the wide open eastern Colorado plain with the top or the windows rolled down, and the AM radio cranked.

Enjoy.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    drmilktruck likes this.
  5. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Great tune. Harrison really knocked it out of the park with All Things Must Pass. People sometimes forget, but that was the best selling solo album buy a former Beatle. Great memories.

6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I had a brush with death in '70 myself. It involved a helicopter and angry little people. Lots of CCR tunes like "Fortunate Son", and "Runnin' Thru The Jungle", and who'll Stop the Rain", come to mind.

7. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Some music I never want to hear again. Not because it’s bad music but because of the association with pain(ful memories).

We had a thread mentioning ‘80s chorus. I actually get gagging reflexes when I hear it. Never told this to anyone, cause it sounds so far fetched and overly dramatic...

drmilktruck likes this.
  8. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I can't get any radio stations like that around here, AND the ones I do get have about 1/3 music, 2/3 ads & BS. Can't argue against your recordings, I listen to mine more than anything else, but scanning the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, classic rock, Beatles, Jimmy Buffet and HOF can be fun.
    I have a Miata MX-5 for summertime fun, it has AM/FM, CD and Sirius XM and I never turn the radio on at all!

9. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    I use tunein and that seems to have every radio station in the world... and it costs me nothing!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The movie, Good Morning Vietnam comes to mind, with the juxtaposition of violent actions and Louie Armstrong singing What A Wonderful World.

wabash slim and drmilktruck like this.
  11. LivingMyDream

I can understand having Sirius XM if you are driving a lot - no commercials. For me, I will make one more long drive to usher in my retirement. I'll me going to live with my daughter and son-in-law to help out with my grandchildren, mostly taking them back and forth to school, and being with them until my daughter and son-in-law get home. My driving will be very local, and with any luck I'll be chatting with the grandkids, or maybe playing they're favorite station on the radio. It's a bit of a peculiar retirement, but then in my retirement I'll be living in the town of . . . Peculiar, Missouri. Somehow, that fits me. :)

Sabato likes this.
  12. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    How about the end of the first Godfather movie with Michael repeating the baptismal vows as he becomes literal godfather to Connie's child, intercut with the murders of all his rivals. Not a song but the contrast is great film making.

13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That is quite a contrast. This life is filled with ironies.

drmilktruck likes this.
  14. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I do drive much less since retired, that is I drive the car I used to commute in less.... I still have a sports car and a motorcycle, those I drive more. I offered to do all of those things for my two grandkids, babysit, even make dinner, but they haven't taken me up on it, their loss.

Speaking of memories to old tunes, for some reason it made me think of the fall day when we piled leaves up in the middle of the road and put a hat on top, seemed funny to us then as people slammed on their brakes to avoid running somebody over. The Rolling Stones were playing "Get Offa My Cloud".

LivingMyDream and drmilktruck like this.
  15. LivingMyDream

ROFL When I was a kid, we just raked leaves into a pile and then jumped into them. I like your idea a lot better!

drmilktruck likes this.
  16. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Don Gibson also did a great version of Woodie Guthrie’s "Pastures of Plenty" (which you will probably never hear on radio again!). And which I may be wrong about, because I can’t find a recording of it now, or any record of Gibson ever covering it.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    johnny g likes this.
  17. optofonik

optofonik Electromatic

Jan 25, 2016
    Somewhere, Wonderful
    I was volunteering at a college radio station when I heard this album for the first time. It was about 6:30 in the morning and I was still barely awake yet after the short walk across campus to the station. The record was at the top of a stack of newly released records. I put it on the turntable, gently placed the needle on the start groove, and was forever changed. This song in particular is one of my favorites but the whole album remains a part of my playlist to this very day.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  18. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    After 8th grade my best friend and his wealthy family took me on a trip to their condo in Mexico. As we got settled in the room we put on Scarlet Begonias, album Mars Hotel, and walked out on the balcony for a treat. Every time I hear that song now, the album version, I remember the air heavy with the ocean, a ramshackle cascade of white washed balconies and terraces down to the beach.

19. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Cheryl Crow`s "Leavin Las Vegas" was on high-rotation on the radios on my extended holiday-trip through the west of the US .
    Everytime I listen to it today it triggers fond memories of that vacation.
    Timeless pop song. The production still sounds fresh to me.

drmilktruck likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice