Mud Switch

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Bertotti, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    So keep in mind here the mud switch is all I have and the Broadway Jade Penguin is the only Gretsch I have ever touched let alone bought. That said, what is the deal with the mud switch and people’s dislike? I can only assume that at some point in time the company must have had some terrible choices in it for people to dislike it so much. I find the positions in the BJP to be very useable and don’t miss a tone knob at all in reality I prefer the switch because it takes me to where I want to be without much tweaking which is odd for someone who likes to tweak and have extra control most of the time.

Zeek, macdog, jfassett and 3 others like this.
  2. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    I love the mud switch myself.
    Much prefer it to tone knobs.

Zeek, rob batz, Gretschman2 and 5 others like this.
  3. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I’m a fan of the switch.
    I can’t say I use it too often, but I prefer a switch I don’t use too often much more than a knob I never use at all.

rob batz, Gretschman2, G5422T and 3 others like this.
  4. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    Big fan of the switch. While it's true you can dial in a tone with the tone knob, I like the ability to just snap to a different sound instantly.

rob batz and G5422T like this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    But do you guys have more current Gretschers with mid switches? I wonder if the values on the switches haven’t evolved from true mud to useful over the years.

dbwindhorst likes this.
  6. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    They had bad choices some time ago. Too much capacity, therefore it was really a mud switch.

This got changed to more reasonable values some years ago and now.

7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Fan of the switch myself

macdog and G5422T like this.
  8. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    With the mud switch and the pick-up switch, 9 possible variations tight there! No messing around.

G5422T likes this.
  9. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I love the look of the mud switch....it is so Gretsch!
    ....but I prefer the function of a tone knob

10. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I kinda just leave it in the middle position all the time - no problem. It's like it's not even there!

calebaaron666 and Waxhead like this.
  11. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    I have the modern mud switch. I love it.
    I play with it in the down position all the time. Takes the edge off those Ray Butts filtertrons.

G5422T likes this.
  12. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I love the mud switch and use it. On my ‘73 country Gent it had one unusable totally mud position but the other was a nice treble roll off. All my other Gretsches have been post FMIC era and the switches have been great. On my knobbed Gretsches I just leave the tone alone, but the mud switch is an invitation/ reminder to create a variety of voices.

G5422T likes this.
  13. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Electromatic

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    If mine is a 2001 (modern. but pre-FMIC) would it be old or new mud switch spec?

14. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I can live with both, but way more prefer the mud switch, but for me stock cap values were unusable in my 6128. So if I still had my stock values in my 6128, I wouldn't like it either. But one can put different values of caps in there to your liking (which I did).

Bertotti, G5422T and DennisC like this.
  15. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
  16. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I don’t mind what the mud switch DOES, though I prefer a tone knob for more flexibility(I’m all over my tone knob when I play live). However, the mud switch PLACEMENT is just absolutely TERRIBLE for me. Right in the natural strum pathway. I hit the doggone thing constantly onstage. So I avoid guitars with them.

Waxhead likes this.
  17. KuKuKu

KuKuKu Gretschie

Aug 28, 2016
    Germany
    That's funny. I never hit the tone switch when strumming, but I tend to hit the master volume. :D

TSims1 likes this.
  18. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I don't mind as i just turn everything to 10 and plug 'n' play!

But if i had to choose i'd go with a knob.

19. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    I live with it.

However, I can never understand why any thinking manufacturer would want to restrict potential customers to just three choices for tone control.

Tone knobs give infinite variation of tone at the choice of the player. A no brainer for the more successful makers.

Waxhead likes this.
  20. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    well I'm glad someone likes it :D

I just don't use the mud switch on my Jet 6131 - it just stays permanently in mid neutral position for me.
    Don't find it useful cos the it rolls off too much lows in the down position and then removes too much treble in the up position. Just too much at both ends to my taste and obviously there's no adjustment possible.
    So i don't dislike the mud switch - just never use it.

I also hear Tony when he says it gets in the way of his vigorous strumming.
    Doesn't get in the way for me but Gretsch should replace it with trad tone dials for this reason alone.
    It'll be deal breaker for many players who have a big strumming technique.

My 5422 has the trad tone dials which I do use lots.
    I installed a new TVJ wiring harness with a treble bleed as an upgrade in it which works great :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    TSims1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice