Mud Switch replacement.

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Otisorange, May 13, 2019.

1. Otisorange

Otisorange Electromatic

Mar 20, 2015
    Buxton
    Just bought this 1962 Tennessean. In very good nick and sounds so good. However, the mud switch is too dark ( on both settings).
    It’s unusable. I had a 2013 6119 HT and used the brighter of the roll offs permanently.
    My question is, what can I do to give me a mud switch that I can use? Do I get a replacement switch or just different value capacitors or what?
    I have little knowledge in this area and any advice is welcome. 897D22A1-D4B2-4547-9E03-CD9A3E797761.jpeg

new6659 likes this.
  2. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    You need to change the capacitor values. They're soldered on the switch terminals, so you'll have to remove the switch to do the job. Probably nothing wrong with the switch itself, if you get any change to the tone when using it.

j.s.c likes this.
  3. Otisorange

Otisorange Electromatic

Mar 20, 2015
    Buxton
    Thank you. That makes sense.

JHowdy likes this.
  4. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    FYI--Modern values are .012uf (more mud) and .0039uf (a little mud).

For a 1962 model, the existing values are most likely .1uf (LOTS of mud) and .05uf (not quite as much mud, but still dark)-- these are quite dark in tone compared to modern Gretsch guitars, and many folks find them unusable.

Like yourself, I find the modern tone cap values to be highly serviceable. The modern cap values are available direct from TV Jones.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Ricochet, j.s.c and JHowdy like this.
  5. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Guess where the term "mud switch" came from. I love my modern mud switches on my 3 Pro Lines, very glad I didn't get a vintage one before, I would have hated them like so many others do.

6. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    I too had to change the capacitor values in my 2003 Anniversary, the originals were useless to me. Just don't recall the values that I chose, but I've got the data somewhere I guess :). I reckon I went with or close to those TVJ recommended values.

7. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’ll add my voice to the chorus, put in caps of the modern values and call it good. With the mudd switch centered, it’s a perfect no-load device. The 0.012uf and 0.0039 caps are very usable values.

About 18 months ago, I set off on a Holy Grail quest to build the ultimate mudd switch circuit. I experimented with cap values and even bridge circuits that mimicked a tone pot. My experiments were interrupted by other events and I had to put it on the back burner. About that same time, a G6119-62T I had on order arrived and as soon as I heard that, I knew that the Holy Grail lay in my hands. Gretsch/Fender had tamed the mudd switch and made it into a truly brilliant device.

However, I did learn from my quest. The Rabbit of Caerbannog was easily dispatched because I had the foresight to bring along a Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, the Knights Who Say Ni were but a minor irritant, but being taunted by French Soldiers was the worst of it. Don’t get downwind of those guys. :)

new6659, section2 and Ricochet like this.
  8. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    "The person who chose the original cap values has been sacked."

drmilktruck likes this.
  9. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Those cap values were chosen in the late fifties. I think he’s probably retired long ago.

10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I agree that's what I did with my last Eman build. Also adding a treble bleed.

11. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    He was referencing the beginning of the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail, where the people who did the credits are sacked repeatedly. Playing up your use of the term Holy Grail in your tone quest.

12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I had forgotten that, but then again, it’s been a challenging week, and it’s only Tuesday. :)

Waxhead likes this.
  13. Otisorange

Otisorange Electromatic

Mar 20, 2015
    Buxton
    Now that’s everything I need right there. Thank you very much sir.

tartanphantom likes this.
  14. dmunson

dmunson Electromatic

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    I found this a chance to be creative. My 6120 was great except for that lack of fine tone control. So, I met with a local luthier and worked out a whole new concept. First we changed the master volume to a master tone. Then we modified the mud switch to work as follows:
    Down position activates the master tone, allowing the fine tone adjustment.
    Center position bypasses the master tone, similar to how it was wired originally.
    Up position acts as a complete cutoff, similar to that found on early Country Gents.
    For me, this made the guitar much easier to live with.
    Just my two cents.

Henry likes this.
  15. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Or Otis ......
    You could do nothing and just don't use the mud switch like most of us.
    Mine has stayed in mid position for years.
    I don't need the mud switch as amp and pedal EQs are more than adequate imo :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice