Mud Switch Positions

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by blumjay, Nov 18, 2010.

1. blumjay

blumjay Electromatic

Nov 7, 2010
    Philly
    I've read some different opinions on the worthiness of the mud switch but I'm not sure....is there a difference b/w the up and down mud position??
    It's an '03 Tennessee Rose.

Thanks Jay

2. JBennett

JBennett Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yes. Up rolls off more tone so it's bassier and more muffled. Down rolls off a bunch, leaves more mids to my ear. Gives it a quacky, quick to break up, sound.

3. Thunderball

Thunderball Synchromatic

Oct 2, 2009
    New York
    JBennett is right. That up position is pure muffled mud, but that down position is somewhat useable. It does give it more of a quack, more mids. I just set mine in the middle, but occasionally I do flip it down for that slight honk.

4. NeilSt

NeilSt Country Gent

Oct 26, 2010
    Lynnwood, WA
    At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what's a mud switch? Are you talking about the tone switch?

5. Thunderball

Thunderball Synchromatic

Oct 2, 2009
    New York
    In the Gretsch language Mud switch = tone switch.

6. NeilSt

NeilSt Country Gent

Oct 26, 2010
    Lynnwood, WA
    I see. Thanks, Thunderball... It's good for us newbies to be schooled....

7. Big Ron

Big Ron Synchromatic

Nov 17, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Brian Setzer called it a MUD switch in an interview. On his old Gretsch he loosened the retaining ring and poked the switch back inside the guitar body leaving a big hole in the front so he wouldn't accidentally hit it while using the pickup selector switch.

Big Ron

8. Bob M

Bob M Former Member

On my 6120 that switch is pretty good. Up gives a smooth bassiness (jazz), the middle position sharpens it noticeably, and the lower position adds some twang. They are very distinct voices. That said, I had a mid-60s Country Gent that the tone switch had little definition between the posiitons. I could have poked it out like Mr. Setzer and not missed it.

9. JBennett

JBennett Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have a 2006 Double Anniversary and a 1959 Anniversary and the switches are totally different in effect. The bassy setting is flipped so you switch it down to get there and it's super muffled. The Up selection is more like the up selection on my modern Gretsch. I figured I just screwed it in upsidedown when I reassembled it, but maybe that's how they used to do it? Also, maybe it is the body depth and lack of a second pickup that is making it sound very different. I kind of doubt that though.

10. Cornbread82

Cornbread82 Electromatic

Aug 27, 2010
    Alabama
    It works great on my Falcon, I do have a problem hitting it at times but I don't think I would go as far as Mr. Setzer did.

11. No-name

No-name Synchromatic

Jun 30, 2010
    Cody, WY
    I find that in the down position, the treble rolls off very quickly when the volume to rolled back. at full bore, it can be a bit too bright to my ear.

I find it works pretty well to have the mud switch in the same position as the pick-up selector switch. Both in the middle for rhythm, both down for rock leads, and both up for Bluesy/Jazzy "woman tone" leads.

12. dobro

dobro Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I read that, on old Gretsches, the cap values rendered the mud switch pretty unuseable (Exceptions include: "Michelle", and "Wooden Ships"), that those old caps drift over time making them REALLY lousy. That when TV Jones was hired to design the modern electronics, he insisted on changing the values, making it a pretty hip and useable setup.

13. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I know it's hip to be vintage correct, but it seems like Gretsch should kill the mud switch on models that aren't exact reissues. The tone knob is so much more useable.

14. No-name

No-name Synchromatic

Jun 30, 2010
    Cody, WY
    I appreciate that Doc, but once I got one, I am starting to see the appeal of the switch. with the knob, you really have an infinite number of combinations, but then, how usable are they. I struggle getting the same tone settings twice. on the other hand, with the mud switch and pickup selector, you have 9 options, that pretty well cover the range. if you set it to where you played last time, the guitar is putting out the same tone as last time.

I do recognize the flaw in that logic. Tone is not jus a matter of guitar settings. it is a mixture of guitar output, patch chord, dimmer switched, florescent light ballasts, humidity, good karma and the gods smiling down. as such, the knob gives the ability to tweak the tone to account for these variables. But I do see the argument that, so long as you amp has a tone knob, fixing the guitar may actually make it easier.

in the end, it's all voodoo magic. some days I love the tone. some days I can't find it, with a knob or a switch.

15. c7ble

c7ble Gretschie

Apr 29, 2010
    Edinburgh
    I don't even use the tone controls to be honest (never have on any guitar... It's just another variable in a sea of variables when playing live)
    I can get most of what I need with the pickup, the volume control and my picking hand

16. No-name

No-name Synchromatic

Jun 30, 2010
    Cody, WY
    there's a lot to be said for that. Cheers.

17. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I like the Mud Switch. It's pretty rare for me to roll off tone on a guitar and having a couple of presets makes sense to me for those rare times that I do want to ditch some high overtones.

18. fishlog

fishlog Gretschie

Feb 23, 2010
    Red Sox Nation
    I like the Mud Switch too. I tend to use it down on the Neck Pup and Up on the Bridge for obvious reasons. I tend to use it more with the bridge PuP up or down but most of the time I never use it...

19. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It's the perfect way to turn a Country Club into an L-5. :)

20. hotraman

hotraman Gretschie

Mar 18, 2009
    Camas, Wa
    I've been playing with the Mud switch up, middle and down, especially with overdrive pedals. I like what I'm hearing for sake of variety. Does anyone hear little bit of the "50 % wah pedal engaged" tone?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice