Moving with Guitars?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Randy99CL, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Gretschie

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Hey guys (and gals) I just made the decision to move 1700 miles back east to be with my family. Just like when I moved out here 5 years ago, I will use a PODS type deal to save money.

The problem is that I now have 6 new guitars, all in hard cases and solid body except my Gretsch G2622.

I'm wondering if there might be temperature fluctuations with the POD box that might affect the guitars? I imagine that if it was sitting out in the hot sun it could get way past 100 degrees inside.

No way they'll all fit in my car and I'd be afraid of getting them stolen anyway.

So the alternative would be to ship them individually, probably UPS. I have no idea of the cost and wonder if anyone with experience could recommend the best way to move them???
    TIA

2. stormsedge

stormsedge Gretschie

Feb 28, 2020
    E. Tennessee
    I've moved two of mine (one acoustic and one solid body) fourteen times...all over the country and to/from Japan. Packed them in their hard cases and the movers packed those in boxes. The to and from Japan move saw everything packed into crates. Likely they went from house to warehouse, to shipping container and reverse, but no damage. I've also moved them in my vehicle when temps were significant.

One thing I did with mine when using movers (I know you are probably packing yourself) is to make a label for the outside of each case with the make, model, and serial number of the guitar on it AND make the movers note that information on the moving documents when the items are tagged---also noting the condition of the guitar...this prevents them from switching your very nice Gretsch out with a KMart Roy Rogers Special and claiming that was the guitar they picked up (don't get me started).

3. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    I'm not sure how PODS get moved, but consider the thousands of guitars shipped regularly from factories to retail to customers. They go via plane, truck, boat, and train. I'd be more worried about leaving a guitar in the trunk of my car in the summer sun.

new6659 and ZackyDog like this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I once shipped a Taylor from NY to California . I priced the UPS and USPS and both were $140 . The case weighed a lot . Long story short the woman wanted her dads guitar ( was given to me by her mom when the husband / my wife's uncle died ) I could not deny her the guitar that her dad owned . She paid the shipping

ZackyDog likes this.
  5. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Terry Kath's daughter went on quite the odyssey to find her dad's guitar,

http://www.terrykath.com/terrykathdocumentary-1
    "Terry's daughter Michelle was only two years old when he passed only knowing him through his music and stories from her mother. After discovering a box of memorabilia Michelle sets out on a journey to get to know her father and to search for his iconic lost guitar."

thunder58 likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    That's a sweeter story than the drunk I shipped it to

GlenP likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice