Movie I’m revisitng

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Mar 20, 2020.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    THX1183 also pops up in Star Wars. Lucas tries to use it in every movie, much like Tom Hanks urinating or Alfred Hitchcock walk ons.

Bertotti likes this.
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Is that American Grafitti?

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Yup. The number has a history. THX1138 was his first movie, done for a grad school project, and parts of it filmed in the school hallways. Starred Robert Duvall. Interesting movie.

Echocat23 likes this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I own both of those, bit of a movie holic. Just watched American Graffiti a few months ago and but it’s been a. Few years since I watched THX1138. What was the movie where they were burning books and some people were memorizing them? The Sleeper? But there was one that was less of a comedy.

5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    "Fahrenheit 451". from a Ray Bradbury story. If you like that, check out "Something Wicked This Way Comes", and "The Martian Chronicles" (tho it's acting isn't all that great as it was a made for TV miniseries). He wrote a lot of stories for Twilight Zone as well.

Bertotti likes this.
  6. Echocat23

Echocat23 Electromatic

Jan 4, 2018
    Kansas City
    Hook!!!

7. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    By the pricking in of my thumbs something wicked this way comes.

I actually want to watch The Stand as well.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  8. Jeff67

Jeff67 Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Some of my favorites!

Also, A Clockwork Orange, Soylent Green, and Fahrenheit 451.

5120mantis and Bertotti like this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Ah that also leaves me with Spartacus the original, Ben Hurr, Ten Commandments, Barabas, Conan, I wish I could find the Barbarians with the barbarian brothers a hilarious spoof of Conan.

calebaaron666 and new6659 like this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The Barbarians was on Comet TV today. It garnered a one star rating. The Conan remake wasn't really worth watching. The 2nd Conan with Arnold was OK. Red Sonja is another Arnold movie in the same vein. There was a slew of those D&D films out for awhile.

calebaaron666 and Bertotti like this.
  11. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Comet has some great old movies

12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    The Barbarians was absolutely hilarious, filed to be a spoof of Conan and not pretending to be anything else it was the top of the B rated D&D movies!

13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Never heard of Comet TV so I looked at it’s listings for late
    Night tonight and it has some crazy shows on! I would have to stay up all night if I had it.

14. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    There are quite a few cable only side channels for most local network affiliates. Grit is all westerns, Comet is all sci-fi. There's ME TV, LAFF and others showing reruns. Lot of the movies are old 2 star specials, there are lots of TV series reruns as well ("I Love Lucy" is still on? Crocodile Dundee was right.) PBS has a couple of side channels as well, so if you miss something, it WILL be on again. I'd trade ALL of the sports channels for RFD-TV, DIY, MIL History and some others. Independent Film Channel, FX and FXM, and Sundance all show decent movies. IFC doesn't censor films. I won't pay for HBO or others of that ilk, so, these extra channels suit me fine. A lot of it is better than the stuff mainline networks is showing anymore. I can't deal with bad lack of talent shows, game shows, or soap operas on prime time (or any time for that matter).

15. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I get all those channels on rabbit-ears antenna, no cable required: CometTV, MeTV, this, H&I, GRIT, CHARGE!, Laff, ion, ion plus, PBS Create, and PBS World, oh and of course, AntennaTV. Fun old TV and movies. I am a sucker for the Star Trek and Stargate re-runs. I am lucky to be close enough to all the local TV broadcast towers to get all the major networks and local stations in HD for free over the air.

wabash slim likes this.
  16. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    With an antenna, we can get two mediocre channels. I get more/faster/better news from 60 miles away than from the locals. I grew up 20 miles East of the tip Lake Michigan in the '50s when it was ONLY antennas. Locally we had UHF two stations, but with a rotor we could get 4 VHF stations from Chicago, and a few out of Michigan. Here in central Indiana, we have to have cable to get anything.

GlenP likes this.
  17. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I wonder what I could get on an antenna. I might have to check. I hate paying for satellite. I haven’t priced cable. But we really don’t watch TV anymore. I’m almost all old movies or new and old tv. I keep DTV for my mom. She watches tv but I don’t know how much she really sees or hears.

18. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Just watched "Coal Miners' Daughter" tonight. Hadn't seen it in many years and enjoyed it all over again. Loved seeing Levon Helm once more.

19. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Escape from New York!

Hands up if you own this Directors cut VHS, i do!

new6659 and calebaaron666 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice