Morgan PR12

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by blueruins, Jan 19, 2020.

1. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    69895791-D70F-4336-A7D2-00621D956E2B.jpeg
    I love the sound, look and size of this amplifier. I know Joe Morgan was having some challenges scaling up his business awhile back but anybody here spend time with a PR12?

Waxhead likes this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    looks good .....

3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Nope. Would love to. My impression is Mr. Morgan succeeded in scaling up production.

blueruins likes this.
  4. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Played one at Sweetwater. Very touch sensitive. Very loud 12 watts. Sounded incredible. Loved it from what time I had with it. The YT videos don’t do it justice compared to being in the room with it. The cabinet is completely glued together. It’s very resonant.

blueruins and G5422T like this.
  5. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    It's always the sound that counts.

Nice looking line up, and it appears that they're built like a tank with top notch components.

blueruins likes this.
  6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Actually, I think I looked at this amp when I was shopping last year. Never tried it as I really wanted something lighter for a 12w single channel amp (it is 38#s)

blueruins likes this.
  7. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    My long term plan is to get the PR12 and the Morgan AC20 to run as a stereo pair.

Weight doesn’t bother me too much. Keeps me young. It’s the wait that I dislike.

8. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    They seem fine amps. Years ago I watched Lance Keltner demo some Morgan amps on his channel. Been looking out for’m ever since, but they are far and few, if at all over here... gave up, got something else. :D
    Good luck in the quest!

blueruins likes this.
  9. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Thank you my good friend! My impression is that Mr. Morgan got underwater with his amps for awhile and went on radio silence before he finally admitted he needed some help to meet his obligations by bringing in some outside builders.
    Ticked off a few customers during this time who understandably slagged him on some popular forums. His reputation took a pretty big hit and the prices here have been drifting downward.
    I’ve never heard a demo where these amps sound anything but amazing so I’m willing to take a chance on the questionable support after the sale...buying used anyhow.
    Admittedly I also am as much sold on the styling. Some folks at church just can’t understand why I bring a pile of torn up old junk onto the platform on Sundays when I haul in my battered silverface Champ atop an ancient Vox 2x12 that has about half the Tolex left on it:)
    I have been broke and it sounds damn good but a lot of people listen with their eyes.
    I like to think my better-half also may have a little more tolerance for the attractive little boxes as well?
    Or maybe these are just things I have to tell myself to part with my hard earned paper?

10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I did not know that. That must have made for some juicy reading on the gear forums. :)

Ah yes, the blends in with the furniture gambit. I like it, solid strategy.

blueruins likes this.
  11. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    The depths we’ll go to for our depravity eh?

It was definitely some front page stuff for a time there. A sort of rags to riches to rags story if you will.

It’s nowhere near as cool to be rocking that “M” these days. It looks to me like he’s scattered some carrion amongst the quasi-celebrity internet hyenas to giddy-up all over his creations. He may yet be king of the jungle again soon

12. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I liked the AC20 I had. One of the more muscular Vox type amps I've encountered. Never run into one of the PRs.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Waxhead and blueruins like this.
  13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    If I was ever to buy an Vox AC30 style amp it would not be Vox - it would be Morgan AC20 :D

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  14. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Morgan’s are great. But so are Dr Z’s.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice