More cases please...

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by sh4rkbyt3, Mar 10, 2019.

1. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    After recently purchasing my Electromatic 5420 finding an actual case that would fit it seemed daunting. I cross checked a lot of reviews from other owners through various other forums and had some difficulty actually finding a hardcase that woudl fit my 5420. Finally found one at AMS that a few people had bought and liked so I ordered it and now waiting it's arrival.
    I guess quantity is relative to number of guitars produced but I thought there would at least be more than 1-2 cases available? Personally, if I were flying I'd definitely want a poly case of some sort since I've seen package handlers on the tarmac pretty much handing things like they were underpriced footballs and my guitar is extremely valuable to me. All of them are.

thunder58 likes this.
  2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    A gator acoustic case fit mine perfect.

Merc likes this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Gator GC-DREAD fitted my 5420T perfectly.
    GC-DREAD 001.JPG GC-DREAD 003.JPG

sh4rkbyt3 and emitex like this.
  4. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I got the Gretsch 6241 deluxe case for my 5420, and it's very sturdy, but then I won't be flying with it, so I can understand your needing to find a poly case. As audept has shown, they do exist. I know it can feel frustrating at first, but you came to the right place to find what you need, because people around here are creative in finding what they need.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    .... you know where I'm going with this don't ya gang ...:mad:
    but really , pa-leeez . ya know , if at least they would slip a " recommended case " note with the rest of the candy , it wouldn't be half bad ...UGH!!
    Good luck @sh4rkbyt3

6. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    After much research I found a Gretsch G6241FT 16 " Hollowbody Flat Economy Case from MF@ $130. The Gretsch Deluxe case is @ $175. Both fit my 5420t (wee bit tight). So $130 to half way protect a $850.00 guitar. Is their such a thing as extra strength card board ?

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  7. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I talked to Sweetwater about the best non-airport case for my 5422. They recommended a Gretsch case for about $149 ( can’t remember the stock #). It works beautifully. I got the same case from radd when I bought his 6119. Sweetwater is a good, reliable resource. I recommend calling them.

I don’t think I would trust airport handlers with my guitar, no matter what the case was. I likely will never fly with any of my instruments, but if I did I think I’d either buy a seat for them or buy special insurance.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  8. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    That was a big part of the problem I ran into thunder58. So many posts were of people buying cases that wouldn't fit their Gretsch's, I had the same problem in GC with my Epi Les Paul. Soft case? No problem, finding a RoadRunner polyycase though, no luck. Same thing with my 5420, none of the hardcases were made for a Gretsch per say and the selection on acoustic cases was pretty minimal.

thunder58 likes this.
  9. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Excellent :)! Thank you very much audept! Is that the Fairlane Blue? GORGEOUS!!! That does look like a really good fit and absolutely well protected too! Well that's my next purchase ;). Luckily they didn't have the Blue at my local GC or I would have had a terrible time trying to decide between 3 colors lol. Much appreciated and thank you for taking the time to reply and with pics to boot :D!

10. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    I've had nothing but great experiences on this forum so far LMD and have already learned more than I could find online by far! The Gretsch Family/Universe has been an absolute great experience so far and the knowledge here is much more informative than I've seen from any other guitar makers. You guys know your Gretsch's!

thunder58, johnny g and LivingMyDream like this.
  11. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    LOL I don't mind paying for quality when it comes to protecting my guitars (within some sense of reason). I see a lof guys that beat up their guitars to give it that used look and well I won't bash them but to me if I spend even only a few hundred dollars on an instrument the last thing I want to do is destroy or semi-abuse my investment. I try to be fairly meticulous without being overly anal about it but I do realize over time some things do begin to wear down some. If it were a car I wouldn't go out and buff it with a 6" grinder and a grinding wheel but to each their own.

12. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    An Epiphone ES335 case fits my G3161 perfectly. Not sure if my guitar is the same as yours but appears the same body, the Bigsby may be the problem though..?

13. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes, that is the Fairlane Blue. I had played a few Electromatics before but this one absolutely wiped the floor with them. It is a demo model from Mountain Music Exchange and was set up superbly.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    The gang around here knows I have a big pet peeve regarding cases and jack plates when it comes to guitars . I recently purchased my G5422-12G-FSR from Musicians Friend minus the case ( of coarse :mad: ) So after being frustrated with the internet , and calling companies who have no clue of what fits what ( amazing :eek: ) I decided to drive 50 minutes to my favorite music store . But befor I went , I found out that the same exact case with the word Ibenez stenciled on it for $69.99 was the same exact case with the word Gretsch stenciled on it for $169.99 ... yes a $100 difference . Same TKL case too . I'm at the store and the salesmen comes out of the back with several cases that did not fit . Said to me , " go home and order the Ibenez " . A moment later he says " wait here " and brings out the Gretsch case that fit perfectly . then he says " be right back " . Comes back and says " it's a wierd number , but the best I can do is $104 " . SOLD . I was there and grabed it

sh4rkbyt3 and Ricochet like this.
  15. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    By the way. My wife is from Elkton and I lived in Elkton for 20 years. Still have family and friends in Elkton. Will be going back in August for family reunion.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  16. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD

17. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    now uze can't leave ....... lol ( Goodfellows )

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  18. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Not sure why my reply didn't posy johnny g, cellphone at work perhaps? Anyhow, Heck I may know one or both of you lol? When your back here in August give me a yell and maybe I'll be polished enough to jam with you some by then ;)?

19. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Hahaha no intentions of leaving here. I wish other guitar forums had such cool and informative people as I've found on this one!

thunder58 likes this.
  20. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    A big thank you to audept and wildeman!!! I ordered my Gator GC Dread case this evening after work and it should be here this coming Monday :D! The softcase I have fits fine (which was an emergency purchase because my big hollowbody was not leaving the store naked in anyway shape or form).
    I just hate the idea of putting a hollowbody guitar (this beautiful) into a softcase even though it's well padded and potentially risking it being damaged.
    Hopefully within another week or two I will be getting my G7593T-BD :D!

audept likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice