Mongolian Metal?!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    The symbol certainly has an interesting history and seems to have appeared all over the world including the (estimated) 4,000 year old 'swastika stone' in Britain and we also have the similar curved three-armed triskele.

I rather suspect that, like pyramids, it is just a geometric shape that our ancestors found attractive.

Bertotti likes this.
  2. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    Jeez what have you done to me @Bertotti I have just spent a while searching the internet trying to find some Mongolian metal. I recall someone I know mentioning a Mongolian band some years ago (He was working out in Ulan Bator) but all I have found is some pretty soft generic rock and a band that I would very much like to 'unsee' called 'dschinghis khan' I dare you to look them up!

Bertotti likes this.
  3. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    The music and production on those two songs were quite interesting... mixing Harley's with traditional throat singing and I presume instruments. Not familiar enough with Mongolian instruments..

I heard live Inuit throat singing when I lived and worked in the Arctic - and recently my daughter pointed me at Tanya Tagaq. Traditional mixed with just about anything and everything. I like to see the boundaries broken down at times!

new6659 and Bertotti like this.
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    The swastika symbol is everywhere in Bhutan along with phallic symbols on the houses.

5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I found that Harleys interesting, but perhaps not that surprising, upon reflection. Mongolia is a place with a long tradition of horsemanship and it doesn’t surprise me in the slightest that Harleys would catch on there. I noticed a similarity to Inuit music I’ve heard. Almost certainly common roots.

Bertotti likes this.
  6. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    This stuff is mad!!!
    Love it! Thanks for posting.
    I’ll be seeing them live at The Download festival here in the UK in June...

7. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Yessir, I can see the parallel between horses and hawgs; the juxtaposition of cultures is what makes it interesting. For me at least.
    After watching I vid of Tanya Tagaq (with a violinist) from a live concert I spent some time looking into throat singing. There are quite a few places around the world that have a version of it that goes back into antiquity. I suspect something to do with the "spirit world" and making contact could be behind much of it. It still seems to be based on long standing cultural and/or spiritual ideals.

new6659 likes this.
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    If you find some good ones let me know!

Jockabilly likes this.
  9. Jet_streamliner

Jet_streamliner Gretschie

Nov 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    Hanggai is a Sino/Mongolian rock band that’s been around for awhile, that I enjoy. They dabble in folk, ballads, and poppy stuff, too.

The Hu have yet to release an album.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Jockabilly likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice