Mongolian Metal?!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I like it!

Philtertronic likes this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I like the name, catchy, to the point, and with a ring of familiarity.

Bertotti and Jockabilly like this.
  3. BuddieGreen

BuddieGreen Gretschie

Sep 3, 2018
    indiana usa
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    There is something primal in a lot of metal I really connect with, this is excellent I do wish I knew what they're saying.

Jockabilly likes this.
  5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Bertotti! Dude!

I enjoyed hearing the Throat Singing in those videos. The Hu? I always suspected that that imitator group in Britain had spelled it wrong. :)

Where does one start with such a venture. A long-standing family legend that my great grandfather was from Mongolia was confirmed by DNA testing, a while back, so I am a curious mixture of Scottish, Scandinavian and Mongolian blood. What I find interesting about this is that there are aspects of Mongolian life which mesh perfectly with my tastes. I am a creature of the High Plains, which is about as close to Mongolian climate as one can get in the US. I have to say, that music struck a chord with me. (Pun absolutely intended, and intended with the same resolve shown in the Wolf Totem song.) :)

It looked and sounded as if the one fellow was playing something very similar to a baritone guitar, tuned in fifths. I’ve experimented with that tuning and found that it gave a sort of Celtic sound, and it works well in this context. I don’t know what you call that other instrument, the bowed one, but I enjoyed that sound. Interesting lyrics; I d t think I’d want to get into a fight with these guys.

Thanks for giving me a window into the culture of one of my ancestors.

Ricochet, Jockabilly and Bertotti like this.
  6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I think they are planning to pillage Sioux Falls. :)

Jockabilly and Bertotti like this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I'll help if they let me!

Jockabilly likes this.
  8. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Sounds like a party. :)

Bertotti likes this.
  9. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    Did anyone happen to notice the fretboard inlays on one of the instruments? I don't imagine that one would get past customs in the west.

10. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yes, I did. I saw similar in Korea when I was on a Korean bus. It was a religious symbol, not a **** one. Hitler perverted it from its original meaning. Like people hating on the Tennessee battle flag.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

Henry and Jockabilly like this.
  11. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    @Bertotti I know the history of the symbol and I know it's very big with the Mongolian people in particular. It occurs in Celtic pre-history as well. Just thought I would draw attention to it out of interest. We have buildings in Britain with this symbol in the stonework and floors which campaigners have tried to force the removal of despite the fact that they predate the Fascist use of the symbol and it was also used extensively in WWI as a good luck charm on both sides.

Bertotti likes this.
  12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Yep. That symbol appears throughout history in numerous contexts. The context of Germany in the ‘30s and ‘40s is far from the only meaning for this symbol.

Jockabilly likes this.
  13. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    Does anyone know if there is an album of the HU band and, if so, where I can get it? Had a bit of a look around but not turned up anything yet.

14. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    The ‘orribile ‘u... :D

15. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The swastika is millennia old, and used world wide as a good luck symbol. The bad guys usurped it in the '20s. The German Catholic parish church I lived next door to was built in the '20s. They had small swastika tiles in their floor, but had covered it with carpeting due to the negative connotations.

The HU Band has been on my radar for months. Grandson and I listen to it. Sadly, they've only got the two tunes out on You Tube so far. There are some other similar groups out there as well.

Jockabilly likes this.
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Only two songs on iTunes.

Jockabilly likes this.
  17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Interesting music.
    "West" is too broad a brush. It would certainly not be prohibited in the USA, where the Constitution protects free speech including this. However, many European countries do not allow certain ****-related speech.

Jockabilly likes this.
  18. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    You can find it all over SEA. It’s much older than the Hindu culture that gave it it’s name.

Jockabilly likes this.
  19. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I was at a temple in Malaysia and there were swastika tiles lining the main room with Buddha underneath

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice