Molly got sprayed by a skunk last night!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Crooner, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Last night at about 9PM I took Molly for her usual nighttime walk. Everything went as usual... she looked for the little bunny she's seen about 7 times in the last week, hit all her usual spots she marks her territory on and just as we got to the front of my apartment building, she suddenly made a move behind the bird bath that sits just recessed from the entry. Before I could notice, I saw the tell-tale black and white striped tail rise and heard a hiss sound. Molly got a full blast right in the face! She jumped in the air and the terrible smell was everywhere.
    I grabbed her up and ran into the building. She was desperately trying to wipe her face with her little hands, as foamy saliva came out of her mouth. She was sneezing and coughing and I was absolutely freaking out!
    I ran her up to my apartment and sprayed some water soluble non-rinse shampoo on her and toweled her off, scooped her up and rushed to the local 24 hour animal hospital.
    When we got there they told me we had to wait outside due to the smell, but gave me a sheet containing a recipe for Hydrogen Peroxide, baking soda and Dawn dishwashing liquid to use as a shampoo. I asked if she was in any danger and they said that unless the skunk had scratched or bitten her, she would be okay, but as I waited for a doctor to see her, I googled skunk spraying and got worried about he eyes, possible infection and respiratory issues. Poor Molly was drooling uncontrollably (something she never does), so I grabbed a bottle of water from my car and poured it over her face and wiped her off. This was a bad idea as I later learned that water only reactivates the skunk oil, making the smell worse.
    After about 40 minutes I went inside again and asked how long before a doctor would see her and was told 2 hours. This was ridiculous to me and as it was now about 10PM, and I needed to get to the drugstore before it closed, so I decided to leave and return if she showed any dangerous signs.

As soon as we walked into Walgreens, everyone in there started looking around for the source of the stench. We both wreaked. I grabbed all the ingredient as well as a bunch of air fresheners and rushed her home.

I immediately mixed the ingredients, poured the solution into a water bottle with a squeeze spout top, stripped down to my underwear and took her into the bathroom. Into the tub she went and I started to pour the solution all over her body, rubbing it in and massaging it into a from. It was tough to do her face as I was scared to get it in her eyes, so I used a wash cloth soaked with the stuff to clean her head and muzzle. I rinsed her off and repeated, towel dried her and then shampooed her with regular doggie shampoo. The rpoor little girl was hating the whole ordeal and jumped out of the tub several times (yeah.. I had closed the door). I felt SO bad for her.
    After rinsing her off completely I towel dried her again with a fresh towel and then used the hair dryer on low and cool. Finally I let her out and then soaked the clothes I was wearing in the same solution and took a vigorous shower.
    I then lit scented candles and sprayed the whole apartment with that ion oxidizer spray stuff.

Thank God, she seemed to be okay. She was exhausted from the whole ordeal, but thankfully, she ate and held it down and didn't seem to be in any more discomfort.

This was so harrowing I was in near panic mode the whole time. Molly was such a brave little trooper I was so proud of her. Luckily, she seems fine today and has eaten and is acting like herself.
    I think what helped is the fact that she just had a round of vaccine boosters a week ago and has a follow up appointment on the 30th.

Anyone here go through this? Any advice on follow up? Rich, you must know about this stuff, right? Is there any worry about eye damage from the skunk oil? Anything else I'm not thinking of?

I'm always so careful when walking her, especially at night. but it shows you what can happen if you take your eyes off for a split second. From now on I'll never walk her at night without a flashlight and will always just expect a skunk to be around the corner.

What a night!

I know it may sound a bit nutty, but I'm convinced (as I always have been) that Princess and Bridget, and now my Mum and Dad, are watching over her as guardian Angels.

loudnlousy and new6659 like this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've always heard tomato juice baths help cut the smell. That, and time. Hope Molly is OK.

MKunie and new6659 like this.
  3. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Puppo will be fine, don't worry about her.

MKunie likes this.
  4. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    That's tough! Good job.

5. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    That's what I thought initially, but upon googling it, it turns out that all it does is lightly mask the smell, but does nothing to get the oil out of the hair.

The two best options are the peroxide, baking soda and Dawn, or vinegar and the other two.

mrfixitmi and wabash slim like this.
  6. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Thanks. As her Daddy, my job is to worry. ;-)

Thanks, Man!

MKunie likes this.
  7. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Just realize an actual doctor said not to worry. Searching the internet will just get you a million OMG scenarios.

Look up any health issue for humans, like "my toe hurts," and guaranteed you'll find the cause to be AIDS or cancer.

I'm at my Legion post and my vet tech friend is here so I asked her. The look on her face was priceless...I almost took a picture to post her <you gotta be kidding me look>. "It's just skunk spray. She'll be fine."

Don't worry even a little bit, you now have opinions from two professionals

MKunie likes this.
  8. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston

Thanks, Scooter. I appreciate it. I'm over protective so I worry, but I'm relieved.

9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Darin , I've been giving you advice for years .... Bathe Molly in white vinegar , just watch Mollys eyes ( and yours too ) You can shut yours tight but Molly can't so be careful . Wipe her collar down to with it too
    As for you my friend ...... get in the shower . Get a plastic bowl and pour white vinegar into it . ( Do not bring a glass bottle of white vinegar into the shower . If the glass bottle slips from your hand and falls on the floor of the tub it will shatter and you'll be barefoot and you will have further problems ) make sure your washcloth is clean and does not have soap in it . Wash yourself head to toe with it and even pour it on your head and wash your hair with it , it won't dis-color ( that's when you shut your eyes tight ) I've done this several times throughout the years at Animal Control . Wash your clothes separate from other and pour a cup of vinegar in the wash . If you can afford to do so , throw the clothes out ...... unless there your Tommy Emanuel black sexy jeans that you bought not too long ago :D You and Molly will be fine

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    mrfixitmi, ffooky, G DynaTron and 3 others like this.
  10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I am sure she will be ok. Hopefully this is a hard learned life lesson for her. My condolences, the smell is awful and potent. I am sure it will happen to our dog someday as there are lots of skunks around here. I had a friend who had a skunk under his car - he used to go to work at 5am, approaching the car and starting it freaked it out, and of course it was a cold morning so the heat and window defogger was on so it sucked in the smell and blasted it into the car. He started bringing a flashlight to check for and scare off skunks.

Crooner likes this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I grew up in rural Iowa in th3 river bottoms. Although I never got sprayed it was a common occurrence for a friend. it seemed it would happen a couple of times every summer. Another friend had a dog who would see a skunk and attack every time, no matter how many times he got sprayed he always went back for more. Never heard of anyone having a problem form it other than a bad bad stink. Enough that it might make you want to puke.

Crooner likes this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Sounds like the voice of experience!

thunder58 and Crooner like this.
  13. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston

Hey Rich.
    I did read about the vinegar but couldn't find any last night. The Hydrogen Peroxide, baking soda and Dawn worked really well for Molly, my clothes and me. I think that Molly's short hair helped. If a very long haired dog got sprayed I can't imagine how much of a bummer this would be.
    As of today, there is no lingering smell at all. Well, my car does still have a bit of a smell so I put an air freshener in it tonight.

When I walked Molly tonight I brought a powerful flashlight and acted more like a Secret Service detail than a guy walking his little girl. I checked out every shrub, nook and cranny, making sure there was not a single critter near her. I have learned a very valuable and painful lesson.

I will keep all these ingredients on hand from now on and I'll get some vinegar too.

T Bone and thunder58 like this.
  14. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Oh, yeah. Rich seriously knows his stuff. More than that, he's an in incredible guy. Years ago, when it looked like my beloved Toy Fox Terrier, Bridget, might need an operation and I couldn't afford it, Rich was the first person to come forward to offer help. That blew me away and is something I'll never forget.

mrfixitmi, wabash slim and Bertotti like this.
  15. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Happen to know where my GFs hometown of Cascade is?

16. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    That sucks, my big dog stays away from them but kills the hell outta Possums and Rats.

T Bone likes this.
  17. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Some time back, in an earlier life, my Beagle was sprayed by a skunk. It was bad news, but he lived through it unscathed. It’s an unpleasant thing to experience, but fortunately, the effects are short lived.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  18. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Yes this works very well too .
    Head down to the local hardware store ( or Lowes / Home Depot ) and buy an empty spray bottle . Put some vinegar in that and start by spraying the floor of the car . Still smells , spray the seat and roof

19. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Why thank you my good man ........

wabash slim and panhead6zero like this.
  20. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    We had 2 dogs at the time and Ringo got it right in the face. Wyatt was lucky. Let them out in our backyard. I think the skunk was a transient, never saw it after that. No health problems but it took six months for the smell to go away completely. Sometimes it would be more pronounced when he was wet from rain. She'll be fine, I am sure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice