Mojotone 5F1 champ kit

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by NWBriggs, Feb 15, 2020.

1. NWBriggs

NWBriggs Electromatic

Aug 23, 2019
    Montague, MI
    Has anyone built this kit before? I am thinking about purchasing and building it to be a small head. I would run with my Swamp Thing equipped 8ohm cabinet. I could go all the way for the full combo, but I would like to save the money.

this is the kit:

https://www.mojotone.com/kits/TweedAmpKits_x/Test-Tweed-Champ-Amp-Kit

ZackyDog likes this.
  2. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    I haven’t built that particular kit but I just completed a MojoTone Super Reverb kit and the quality of the kit was superb. Can’t go wrong with MojoTone imo.

Have you built an amp before?

3. NWBriggs

NWBriggs Electromatic

Aug 23, 2019
    Montague, MI
    i have not, this will be my first attempt

pmac11 likes this.
  4. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Very cool, it’s super rewarding when completed and everything fires up successfully on the first try. That’s what we strive for when building an amp but there is so much that can potentially go wrong. So make sure every step you complete, is your best.
    If you know this already, great, if not then the following sites are extremely helpful when building amps. Certain MojoTone kits don’t come with instructions, but come with only a schematic and layout. Also, coming up with the best/quietest grounding scheme is important. The below links are an abundance of info for amp building.

https://www.tdpri.com/forums/shock-brothers-diy-amps.49/

Below, this link is so helpful when first starting up an amp, I’d be lost without it. The whole site in fact is loaded with very useful info.

https://robrobinette.com/Tube_Amp_Startup.htm

I wish I could give ya more info on that particular amp, but I can definitely help out with the building portion of it, if needed. I’m looking to build a 6g2 next. It’s addictive!!! Best of luck!!

pmac11 likes this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Go for it brother

TubeLife likes this.
  6. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Plus one for RobRobinette. Also, go onto YouTube and find Uncle Doug. Lots of technically sound helpful advice there.

TubeLife likes this.
  7. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Stewmac does a set of build instructions. Note that the Mojotone kit has a capacitor missing on the far right of the board, it's a reproduction of a mistake in the original drawing. Leaving it out makes the amp cleaner.

TubeLife likes this.
  8. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Why do Mojotone not include instructions? That would just put me off buying their product. Obvious answer... the kit is aimed at customers with a knowledge of amp building. Snobs

9. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    I downloaded Stewmacs deluxe reverb instructions (Stewmac doesn’t sell the super reverb) which is almost identical to the super and used that. If/when I build another amp I won’t need instructions, but they were essential for me as a first timer.

10. afire

afire Country Gent

Go for it. You may find it addictive.

11. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    And don‘t forget:

WARNING: A tube amplifier chassis contains lethal high voltage even when unplugged--sometimes over 700 volts AC and 500 volts DC. If you have not been trained to work with high voltage then have an amp technician service your amp. Never touch the amplifier chassis with one hand while probing with the other hand because a lethal shock can run between your arms and stop your heart. Use just one hand when working on a powered amp.

12. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

You've gotten my attention!:eek::eek:

13. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    That‘s why I‘m here :cool:

blueruins and new6659 like this.
  14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I would love to build an amp by myself but I fear I could be hurt by the high voltages in a tube amp. So I leave repairs etc. to my technician. He has a good life insurance as I was told....

new6659 likes this.
  15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Cool, i want to build that kit someday too. A Champ will have a 4 ohm transformer fyi.

16. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I built a Champ as my first kit project, and used a turret board rather than eyelet holes. The Champ is still flipping loud before it breaks up, and then it has nowhere to go. I put an L-pad attenuator in the back. Fabulous stuff. And addictive!

TubeLife likes this.
  17. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin
    Kits can be a lot of fun to build. I built a different kit (Mod102 from Amplified Parts) and a schematic with voltages was essential as I has accidentally skipped a step in construction. By following the voltage levels and reviewing the steps, I found the problem.

Yes, tube amps carry lethal voltages but by using some basic electronics/electrical safety rules one can do fine. I second the Uncle Doug channel on youtube. He covers how to build and use some basic tools and how to work on tube amps. Also watch how he works on things - he uses a wooden pointer, not his fingers, discharges capacitors, unplugs the cord, etc. A search on electronic serving fundamentals should also help.

18. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK

The kit has a 4ohm output transformer, ok but not ideal with an 8ohm cab.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice