Modeling amp recommendations to go with Gretsch 6118 or 6125?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by stopsquark, Apr 5, 2019.

1. stopsquark

stopsquark Newbie

Apr 3, 2019
    n/a
    Enough wattage for small coffee shop gigs (30-50 people) and such, but primarily for recording/home practice.

Open to anything except Fender or Vox amps - I've found I really dislike the sound of both (at least their primary models).

Style of music: rock, indie, folk, psychedelic, prog, occasionally metal / punk / jazz.

Thank you in advance~

2. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Thing with modelling is, at this point, you get what you pay for.
    The majority of modellers are aimed at beginners, built to a low budget, with lots of 'flashing lights and shiny bits', and are specced with cheap components... so, you can't expect a £200-300 modeller will perform like two dozen five grand amps.
    If you want a serious recommendation from me, it's Kemper, Fractal or Line 6 Helix... otherwise, buy whatever looks nice...
    The Boss Katana gets a lot of love, for what it's worth.

scrimmer likes this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    If you already have a good laptop consider running Bias Amps. At gigs you'd have to schlep a monitor, interface, maybe a midi pedal etc.. maybe just get a Marshall Code or Boss Katana.

4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Boss Katana 50 or Fender Mustang 2.

5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    There is not a single modelling amp worthy of your guitars imo.
    Why do you want to mix coke into Bollinger :)

6. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    I 98% agree with this.
    Now I've gone back and seen what guitar you're using, either Fractal, Kemper or Line 6 Helix.
    Any other modeller is like using remould tyres on a Ferrari.

scrimmer likes this.
  7. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    They have one of the Bias Heads in a local store.

How about splitting power from processing?

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok but the OP and I were talking about modelling amplifiers.
    Those 3 you mention are not modelling amplifiers.
    Axe-FX and Helix don't amplify anything and the Kemper is a profiler :)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    r0de0 likes this.
  9. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    Blues Cube Hot 30W. I have the 80W Artist and I love it, but it would be a bit big for your purposes. Great tones from these amps. You might also try the Boss Nextone 40W and Katana 50.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  10. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Electromatic

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    Katana 50 or 100

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  11. scrimmer

scrimmer Electromatic

Apr 6, 2019
    North Carolina
    Just my $.02 here...
    Was thinking about the same thing at one time, BUT:
    If you're going to use it primarily at home for playing and recording, you owe it to yourself to check out SGEAR from Scuffham Amps!
    Download their 15 day fully functional trial, put a good preamp pedal in front of it and rock away!
    I have Guitar Rig 5 plus BIAS amp/Bias FX also. They are really good too, but IMHO SGear blows them away in dynamics, feel and tone.
    Granted, GR5 and BIAS do have more models and options, fx, etc. but what SGear lacks in variety, it more than makes up in tone!
    Nothing can beat a real tube amp, but SGear gets closer than ANYTHING I've found when it comes to touch sensitivity, dynamics and tone.
    You don't need to get fancy and go my route to get great tones out of it, but I use it with the following signal path:

guitar ->Manley Core or Fredenstein F200 preamps ->Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 (w/my choice of pedals in the loop) ->Klark Teknik EQP-KT tube eq ->Sgear ->out to monitors/DAW.

This setup blows away everything else I've ever tried as far as modeling goes! I've got a few nice amps and I rarely play through them at home now.
    I'm very fortunate enough to have all that to use with SGear, but I promise you it's not needed to get some really great tones with it.

15 day free trial - nothing to lose!

https://www.scuffhamamps.com/

12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Are you financially affiliated with scuffhamamps.com or Sgear in any way?
    I do note that the SGear product you promote is not an amplifier - it's computer software :)

13. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    While it's not my cup of tea, the Line 6 Spider series might be worth looking into.
    It's an all in one, modeling amp with effects and all the bells and whistles built in.

14. Benturner83

Benturner83 Electromatic

Mar 16, 2019
    Hastings, UK
    I realise you said you don't want Fender or Vox ... but have you checked out the Vox AV (analogue valve) series?

It's modelling in as much as it offers 8 different amp sounds via all-analogue pre-amp circuits, has two channels and effects loop. The only digital bits are the built-in modulation effects which you obviously don't need to use. Comes in 15, 30 and 60w. Might be worth considering? Check it out here.

15. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Why a modeling amp? Are you adverse to tubes or trying to stay within a certain budget?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  16. scrimmer

scrimmer Electromatic

Apr 6, 2019
    North Carolina
    NO. Maybe I should have put a disclaimer to that effect in my post. Did not mean to appear that way in the least. I must admit, I'm quite a fan though.
    Not affiliated with them in ANY way. I have become so enamored of this modeling software and the results I get from it that I tend to sing its praises every chance I get!
    I realize the OPs post was regarding amplifiers, but I just wanted to make him aware of alternatives.
    Myself, I only use real amps when playing out, mainly because the only laptop I have is employer issued;
    but there are many S Gear users out there getting great results in live settings using S gear on a laptop and running direct to PA,
    or to the board, or to an amp. Just wanted to make sure people have the info to make wise gear choices that may work for them, nothing more.
    IMHO Scuffham Amps' S Gear is the unsung hero of modeling software!
    PEACE!

17. eggvan

eggvan Gretschie

Nov 30, 2013
    England
    Katana 50 all the way. I cannot recommend highly enough.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice