Modding a 5120 - 6120 lookalike

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by rockabilly-rebel, Mar 25, 2010.

1. rockabilly-rebel

rockabilly-rebel Country Gent

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Nope! -
    I THINK i'm the first to do this - i'll reveal all - prob tomorrow and then all of you can tell me:)

2. BluesSinger212

BluesSinger212 Electromatic

Feb 8, 2010
    Rhode Island
    You know, unbridled, I had the EXACT same idea. I was going to use that skinit.com website and make my own decal, lol.

3. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Banned

Mar 9, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Well whatever you did, I am doing it too!

4. rockabilly-rebel

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Thats cool Brian - Thanks.

You ever watch an 80's English comedy called "the young ones" ?? - There was a character on there called Brian Damage - He was a "highly dangerous mad maaaaaaaaaaan" !!! - one of my favorite tv shows as a kid

- believe it or not it was that show that got me into guitar!

klassicdave likes this.
  5. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Banned

Mar 9, 2010
    Oklahoma
    lol You got me. First person to ever catch that. My first name is actually Brian though.

6. rockabilly-rebel

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    OOOOHHHH - Dang - I Love the young ones - its something that I consider part of my youth - you know - one of the several things thats made me what I am today - are you 100 % American?? - didn't think you'd know about the young ones - ever watch bottom - or filthy, rich and cat flap? - how about dangerous brothers?? - I have to say - respect to ya Brian!!

klassicdave likes this.
  7. unbridled

unbridled Synchromatic

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    Yeah, I've toyed with the idea lots. My brother-in-law is a photographer and has really nice equipment and all kinds of paper vinyl, etc. I might have to try it on another guitar to get my technique down, but I think it will happen!

I'm just trying to decide if I want to go with the same color as the guitar body or go a bit darker like the 6120.

8. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Banned

Mar 9, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Yes I am 100% American. When I was in my late teens/early twenties I was in a punk band that toured around and we did some shows with a band called Riot Squad from Britain and their drummer gave me a video tape full of episodes of The Young Ones and thats how I found out about them. Brilliant show. Vivian is hilarious.

klassicdave likes this.
  9. JohnnyRingo

JohnnyRingo Gretschie

Jul 13, 2008
    Georgia
    What time is showtime and how much for tickets?:)Seriously,you have raised the bar for 5120 modification.Hell,I might sell my 6120,so I can get a 5120 and make it look like a 6120.;)Nice work rockabilly-rebel.:cool:

klassicdave likes this.
  10. rockabilly-rebel

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Just a quick description & photos of the jack plate mod - pretty self explanatory really, just unscrew the jack - enlarge the hole using a reamer - to accept the recessed plate - then screw the jack into the plate and then screw the whole assembly into the guitar.
    This was a very cheap mod (plate cost 75p) - but its a great mod - I'd nearly say essential - the sides on the 5120 are surprisingly thin!

Attached Files:

klassicdave likes this.
  11. unbridled

unbridled Synchromatic

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    Yep, that's a must-do mod!

I've got another guess on the headstock...
    You found someone who has that wood grained vinyl they used to put on the sides of stationwagons in the 70s! No? OK I'll wait for you to tell us.

klassicdave likes this.
  12. unbridled

unbridled Synchromatic

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    My serious guess is that you used some thin maple veneer.

13. JohnnyRingo

JohnnyRingo Gretschie

Jul 13, 2008
    Georgia
    Word has surfaced that an unlucky chap in England,living outside Nottingham and near Derbyshire,awoke recently to find that his beloved Gretsch 6120 was missing it's headstock.The odd nature of such a crime has everyone baffled and 6120 owners are worried it may not end at just one.......................Hmm,I have a feeling it could be just the one.What do you think rockabilly-rebel?;):cool:

klassicdave likes this.
  14. Arfer MO

Arfer MO Synchromatic

Dec 13, 2009
    Welsh Wales
    Rockabilly, hope you haven't stapled your finger to the table yet like Rick Mayall in Bottom. Have you got any friends called Spudgun ? You must be a Red Dwarf fan if you like Bottom etc. Arf

klassicdave likes this.
  15. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Banned

Mar 9, 2010
    Oklahoma
    ::::chants:::: HEADSTOCK! HEADSTOCK! HEADSTOCK! HEADSTOCK!!

klassicdave likes this.
  16. rockabilly-rebel

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Hi Arf - Red Dwarf is actually my favourite! - I'm a long time dwarfer:D:D

klassicdave likes this.
  17. rockabilly-rebel

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Bloody hell I've been rumbled!!:D:D

klassicdave likes this.
  18. rockabilly-rebel

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Don't worry - its coming soon - real soon!:)

klassicdave likes this.
  19. unbridled

unbridled Synchromatic

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    I don't know, you better go over how you installed the tuners before you cover the headstock.

Also how to change strings.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice