Modding a 5120 - 6120 lookalike

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by rockabilly-rebel, Mar 25, 2010.

1. rockabilly-rebel

rockabilly-rebel Country Gent

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Thanks Uma - I'll detail the pickup install tomorrow - time for bed now!

2. BluesSinger212

BluesSinger212 Electromatic

Feb 8, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Call it noobie ignorance, but HOW are the shapes of the F-holes of the 5120 different from those of a 6120? A side-by-side comparison would probablly help me out.

3. john horton

john horton Electromatic

Feb 4, 2010
    Tennessee
    I wondered that as well...

4. Blutonium

Blutonium Electromatic

Rebel
    Looks great!
    Curious...did you "square up" the f-holes? By that I mean the non-bound holes on my 5120 were eased (carpenter-talk for slightly rounded over), which would make it impossible to add actual binding (no flat surface to glue the binding to)...hence I painted mine. I did it a while ago, and while I like the "bound" look, I don't like the job I did. There's a couple of spots where it's uneven. I've been toying with the idea of actually squaring up the edges and putting the real stuff in there, but I'm not sure if I want to risk damaging it.

Looks like you pulled it off though, so I may give it a try. Did you create the "points" by removing from the "round" part at the top and bottom of the "f"s? I agree with Blues...side by side pics are needed.

5. Staudi

Staudi Gretschie

Jan 5, 2010
    at home
    Oh my Gosh!
    It´s the best looking G5120 I´ve EVER seen!
    I will definately Keep an eye on this thread, man I just can´t believe it what you made out of the electromatic!

Are those Sperzels "satin chrome"? Exact the same are on its way to me (maybe they arrive today?!)
    And pleeeeeeaaaaaassssseeeee explain how you made this Headstock!

Greetz from an european neighbor,
    Staudi

6. -PMK-

-PMK- Gretschie

Dec 20, 2009
    Sweden
    Gaah .. not good for mental health to watch all good looking mods, me want it toooooo.....

Nice work :p

7. rockabilly-rebel

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    A 5120 has the F hole points "squared off" where as a 6120's come to a point

Hopefully these photos will help

First up is a real 6120, then mine, then how they are on a standard 5120

Attached Files:

8. rockabilly-rebel

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    I know its a small detail - but I'm funny like that :)

9. rockabilly-rebel

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Many thanks Staudi - Much appreciated!!

- yes they're satin chrome sperzels - I got a fantastic deal on them - plus I had an ebay voucher, so I ended getting them (brand new in box from authorised dealed) for £15.00!:D
    They are great tuners - you'll love 'em - string changes are a breeze!

10. rockabilly-rebel

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Hi Blutonium - no its just painted on - as shown in the pics above - I did flatten the sides a little - to improve the look, and to look more like genuine binding, the points were created from removing from top and bottom of the flatted points, and both the points and the flattening of the sides was done with a small craft knife (the tops are incredibly hard) - and then just finished with a combination of hand files till it looked right.

The problem if you tried to add real binding, would be you would have to enlarge the entire sound hole by a constant 1mm or so to compensate for adding the binding - which can be tricky. The flattening of the sides was really easy using the knife and files, and the binding process would be fairly straight forward.
    Hope this helps - if you need any more info let me know - Steve.:)

11. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Dang, Reb, that's one heck of a job!

Have a nicely stoked 5120 I've inherited from my Son after buying him a Hilo'd Rose (ooooh, it'll be here today) and put it up for sale but the last few days I've been having second thoughts.

TV Classics, CTS/Switchcraft guts, Schaller locking machine heads, Brass Compton, gold guard and surrounds (any chance of talking you out of that Bigsby?) The little girl is beautiful, back is even birdseyed. A real sweatheart and sounds prettier than most of the guitars in the house.

Never got around to changing out the nut, though. (Nearest luthier's a hunerd miles a way...one thing I didn't develop enough guts to try).

This doesn't help, although I'm real proud of the fact it's an Electro. Just something cool to me about my Camaro running with the Vettes.

12. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Man, that looks good.

If you weren't on the other side of the pond I'd ask you if you'd like a little work.

13. Quietly

Quietly Banned

Jul 31, 2009
    Spain
    Boy oh Boy you could make a living out of doing mods for people that is fantastic work.

14. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Hey Reb, I'm not familiar with England but Derbyshire sounds kinda familiar. Famous musicians from there?

15. rockabilly-rebel

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Hi Dafreeze - thanks for the kind comments - it really means a lot.
    I think you should keep your 5120 - they're great guits and you've always spoke very highly of your sons 5120 - be a shame to see you let her go (imo)

As for Derbyshire, its famous for a few things, but I cant think of any famous musicians off the top of my head. -

I'll have a think

16. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

It's a pleasure.

This is the only guitar we've got w/TV Jones pups. They sure are sweet.

Have been meaning to post new pics but suddenly my computer doesn't recognize my camera, and then I started thinking I just may keep the darn thing.

17. unbridled

unbridled Synchromatic

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    I've heard of this guy called Rockabilly Rebel from there.

18. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Yup, me too, but there was something else, now I gotta look it up....is that where Pagey or Plant was from?

19. rockabilly-rebel

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Now that DID bring a big grin to my face:D:D

20. guitarmaker

guitarmaker Synchromatic

Mar 1, 2010
    Oley, PA
    Hey Rockabilly Rebel, did you use 1-shot paint for the binding? I've used it for my fake binding in the past and it works really well. It's easy to mix the right color too. I am certainly impressed with this. It's really the best 5120 mod that I've seen. I've been thinking about how I would do these mods and I think I've got most of your procedures figured out. I won't say though, want to wait and here it from you. Again, very nice work!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice