Modding a 5120 - 6120 lookalike

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by rockabilly-rebel, Mar 25, 2010.

1. rockabilly-rebel

rockabilly-rebel Country Gent

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Hi everyone - hope everyone's doing good
    I've been at this for a few days now, and thought I would cool to share it with you all.
    A quick back ground info -

I bought the 5120 specifically for modding - I already own a 6120 DSW which I love but wanted 2 different looks.
    I've been buying parts when I've seen then cheap - and put them in my parts box till needed - I got a great deal on the 5120 brand new. - So as such the whole project has only cost me around £500.00 GBP all in! - less than a standard 5120 here in europe.

Probably best if I start with a few pictures of the lady in question - then maybe a show n tell of the whole project

So here you go !! :)

Attached Files:

2. rockabilly-rebel

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    a few more

Attached Files:

3. rockabilly-rebel

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    List of mods include - Gretsch v-cut B6, narrow vintage style handle, st/st Compton bridge, HS Filtertrons, gold bezels, treble bleed to master volume, .02 orange tone cap, Sperzel locking machine heads, graphite nut, re-shaped the sound holes and added faux binding, headstock overlay with faux binding, proflied the bridge base, added square jack-plate plus a few little bits and bobs.

4. built4speed

built4speed Synchromatic

Mar 9, 2010
    Canada
    That's amazing! I definitely want all the gory detail pics. What did you do for the head stock overlay? And the binding?

All I can say is wow! Great job.

5. rockabilly-rebel

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Thanks Built for speed - much appreciated! - I'm gonna get all my pics together and the go through everything step by step - (i know we like that sort of thing here:D)

The headstock was quick, easy and cheap - I'll reveal all in good time my friend:)

6. built4speed

built4speed Synchromatic

Mar 9, 2010
    Canada
  7. kyleb

kyleb Electromatic

Dec 27, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Nice work! She looks great!

8. guitarmaker

guitarmaker Synchromatic

Mar 1, 2010
    Oley, PA
    Very nice work. It looks like you put a lot of time in it. I look forward to your revealing of info. Is the logo and horseshoe a sticker of some sort?

9. rockabilly-rebel

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    just a couple more shots - plus one side by side with my DSW

Attached Files:

10. BluesSinger212

BluesSinger212 Electromatic

Feb 8, 2010
    Rhode Island
  11. built4speed

built4speed Synchromatic

Mar 9, 2010
    Canada
    Me too! I've always felt the black headstock didn't look right on the orange 5120.

12. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Wow that is great! Best looking mod I have seen! Bettie is green with envy!!

Attached Files:

13. JohnnyRingo

JohnnyRingo Gretschie

Jul 13, 2008
    Georgia
    Very well done.The headstock is the most important mod that one can do for the looks.That makes people go ummmmmmm........wait a minute!
    Looks good rockabilly-rebel.

14. Arfer MO

Arfer MO Synchromatic

Dec 13, 2009
    Welsh Wales
    That is a lovely job rockabilly . Mind you having seen your model and workmanship on your traction engine, you are obviously a craftsman. Arf

15. rockabilly-rebel

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Thanks for all the kind comments guys - it really does mean a lot

16. john horton

john horton Electromatic

Feb 4, 2010
    Tennessee
    I'm DYING to know what you did to make the headstock look like that!

17. rockabilly-rebel

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Ok I'll start at the beginning - the first thing I decided to do was reshape the F holes, I'd decided to do the faux binding, and figured whilst i was at it they may as well be re-shaped ala 6120.
    I started out with a fine file - but couldn't believe how hard the top was - so soon moved to a small craft knife, and just carved them till they looked right (it helped having the 6120 as a reference).
    I then used the craft knife to remove the finish from the side edge, and ever so slightly from the top - so that the paint would adhere properly

Attached Files:

18. rockabilly-rebel

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    I then finished the shaping using a combination of different files.
    Once the F holes had been cleaned from dust etc - I could start with the faux binding. I'd decided against the paint pen method - as I'd found the results a bit hit & miss, so I used very fine masking tape - usually used for model cars, R/C enthusiasts etc. I carefully masked the area and then mixed the paint.
    The paint ended up being around 70% white - 30% yellow - I've included a photo of the white next to the mixed off white or cream for comparison

Attached Files:

19. rockabilly-rebel

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Finished F holes - after 2 coats of paint, and 2 coats of clear to seal

Attached Files:

20. DeadRanchHands

DeadRanchHands Gretschie

Apr 11, 2009
    Surf City
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice