Mod Ideas: 64 Teisco EP9

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by rustyoltruck, Apr 20, 2010.

1. rustyoltruck

rustyoltruck Electromatic

Mar 13, 2010
    kamloops
    I couldn't resist picking these two guitars up cheap ($100 for the pair). They were hanging on the wall of a small guitar shop, strung up with haywire. The guy sold mostly low-budget chinese guitars with strange names and stranger paint jobs, being unable to compete with the local chain store on Gibsons and Fenders and what not, so I'm glad I looked up upon leaving.

Sorry for the lame picture, but they are:

- 1964 Teisco EP9, Thinline Hollowbody with dual single coils. This guitar weighs all of 3.5 lbs. doesn't sound like much, but fun all the same. I'll work on it...Any suggestions for what people out there would consider a cool mod? P90s maybe?
    I might just take three strings off and play it like Seasick Steve's 3-string Trance Wonder, also a 60's Teisco, but with a DeArmond pickup.

Anyway, if you have any thoughts on what I should do with this guitar, let 'em rip!

- 1949 Alden Commander, Essentially a Harmony H1456 archtop sold at Sears, (apparently also sold as a Gretsch 1456 so maybe this forum is an OK place for it).

Attached Files:

2. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Check out this guy he is the guitar player for Hermans Hermits he plays a Teisco E9 I think. He tells about his mods I've seen him four times he is a quite the showman.
    http://www.myspace.com/vancebrescia

3. rustyoltruck

Mar 13, 2010
    kamloops
    Thanks man, I asked him about his guitar, an EP8, and he replied and sent the link to his mod. He worked on the bridge and frets mainly. I've gotta ditch those pickups and put in new pots and rewire the existing switch and replace the jack with a switchcraft. Maybe P90s?? Try for that Gibby thinline sound? I dunno, but I've got too many humbuckers....

4. Manic

Manic Country Gent

Dec 5, 2009
    $100 for the pair?! :shock:

I am jealous.

5. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    I would repace the pickups with P-90's

6. rustyoltruck

Mar 13, 2010
    kamloops
    Thanks Jukebox, P90s is what I was thinking as well, maybe try and get that Gibson thinline groove, like Thorogood?? I posted a WTB to that effect.

Caeman, that was $100 Cdn to boot, which was still worth less last Friday! Funnily enough, I offered him $200 for the pair, and he was afraid of being ripped off (he had heard the Alden was made by Gibson). I knew nothing about it, but liked the archtop. Anyway, he asked ME to do the research, and upon doing so, I learned the archtop was simply a SEARs Harmony, so I dropped my price, and he took it. He still has an old-as-dirt flat top called a "Supreme", which I couldn't find anything on...anyone know about those? And a Kay SG with a busted neck and another 60's guitar (EKO, or Kay?) with goldfoils, but they don't look like the DeArmond Ry Cooder pups. I may just try and get that one for $50 for fun...

7. Chancey77

Chancey77 Synchromatic

Apr 16, 2010
    Helsinki,Tampa, NYC
    WOW that is awesome....just goes to show you there are some good deals still out there!
    Love the Harmony! I got one, but well beaten'! Awesome!!!

8. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Oh Man, what a score! I read your other post first. Now I really think a set of Gibson P-100's for nothing are what you outta try first unless you can scrounge some forreal 90's for real cheap. Although those pickups and that string spacing look unusually wide? Just the picture?

9. rustyoltruck

Mar 13, 2010
    kamloops
    Sounds good to me dafreeze! Thanks! PM me and we'll hash out the details. I took the picture on my Blackberry, so it is probably distorted. I don't think the string spacing is unusual. I'll probably put the Gretsch Bridge from my Projet on it, when I get around to buying a aluminum Compton from Wayne.

Sorry to put Shaun Cassidy in your head!

10. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

naw, wasn't Shaun that made me hurl. I've never listened to him. Was Todd.

pm'd