Mixing a Filtertron with a Dynasonic and Duane Eddy Tone Question

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by YourBlueRoom, Mar 13, 2019.

1. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    1. Was there a predominate pickup position DE utilized for his signature sound? I assume it was bridge or middle.

2. Anybody tried mixing a Dynasonic with a Filtertron? I'm reaching for the Duane tone on some recordings and can't get the low end 'thunk' I need out of my 6120 with TV Classics. Was thinking about dropping a T'armond (f'tron mount) in the bridge. I'm mostly curious about what the middle position would sound like.

2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Duane Eddy switches back and forth from neck to bridge pickup at his whimsy. I’ve seen different videos of him playing rebel rouser on either one.
    I’ve never seen or heard him use a pickup in a gretsch other than a Dynasonic.

I’m thinking I may put a t armond in the neck of my 5420 in the future too. Haven’t decided. A bridge Filtertron twangs and crunches well, but a regular neck filtertron is a tone I got no use for. That’s just me though.

jfassett likes this.
  3. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Duane likes the stock Dynasonic and GHS Boomers 9.5, 11, wound 20, 34, 44, 54 strings w a tru-arc bridge, below is his pedalboard used at Sheffield studios. He loves a 15" speaker, JBL D130.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All that said, you can match up a Dynasonic w a P90 better than a filter but I would pair a Ray Butts Filtertron w a Dyna in heartbeat.

Lockupyourfatdog likes this.
  4. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    DE with a brain on his board for the win!

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  5. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I know, I know... Name dropping is frowned upon but I really am proud that Duane has not only used my pedal but also that my Dad never took my job serious until he saw me sitting w Duane in a picture as well as this one that Deed Eddy took for me of Duane's guitar, amp and pedal. Duane Eddy is my Dad's guitar hero along w Chet and Chuck. I never really got into Chet but Duane Eddy and Chuck Berry are center points for me thanks to my Dad.

I noticed on this one in the photo that he's got a different Tru-Arc bridge on the guitar.
    [​IMG]

YourBlueRoom and calebaaron666 like this.
  6. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    That’s killer! If yer gonna drop a name, Duane Eddy’s is a good one to drop.
    I also got Chuck from my dad too.

Just curious, do you know if DE keeps his brain on all of the time?

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  7. larryr

larryr Gretschie

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    From what I read, neck Dyna and picking hand down by the bridge. Having Duane use your gear Tavo & sharing about it isn't name dropping, it's inspirational. You had a dream , you followed it and the dream reached the top of the mountain. Bravo!

8. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Here’s a video I found of DE playing Peter Gunn.
    Watch as he switches to the Bridge pickup just before the song begins.

j.s.c likes this.
  9. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    He told me he uses it to jump up over the band. In watching him several times live, he does just that especially once the drums are digging in and the horn is barkin. Although that was when he was sticking to the dynobrain. He just reported on a recent interview that he's using the Atomic Brain now. Havent seen anything on that though.

@larryr ah shucks, thanks man :)

calebaaron666 likes this.
  10. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    YourBlueRoom: what about your amp -- a major factor in any player's sound.

11. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN

Thanks Tavo.

Also since we’re on the topic of the Dyno Brain... I mistakenly plugged an AC adapter into my DB last night; I flipped my amp on, heard a terrible hum/hiss and figured I had a bad patch cable so I started troubleshooting and then realized what I did and pulled it out – it was probably plugged in there for 90 seconds or so. It seemed to be working fine after that but is it possible I did any damage?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice