Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Missionary or Pagan Ubangi stomp

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Bertotti, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I use the Ojai on two boards. Wonderful.

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Not much more than another delay I would think.

3. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    You could reverse engineer a 1 Spot adapter, i have one for my old wawa that plugs in where the battery goes.

4. Mr. Lumbergh

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    yeah, it's not a difficult problem. Battery holder for 6 AA, short length of wire, and the adapter. The kind of project that makes me wish Radio Shack was still around...

5. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I grew up with Radio Shack, i would love when my dad would take me there as a kid. I miss it too.

6. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    My TC Flashback Delay will eat a battery in about 15 minutes of use.

7. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Yep, digital pedals can get pretty hungry.

8. Mr. Lumbergh

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    6 C cells then. :)

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Ok, take this with a grain of salt since I don't play live and haven't been in a position where volume was a concern live. At home I still prefer my tube break up to the fuzz, but if I decide it is to late the fuzz is actually very very useable. I still need to work on settings it seems to make my Penguin a bit less sparkly and I am sure it is a setting I can fix either with the trimmer switch or amps active eq, didn't expect that. I am however using it more to kick the front end of the amp then I am as an actual fuzz. I find it quite pleasing. I do work around a lot of loud machinery so some days I just play because there is no judging tone. But generally, after a day or two without serious equipment running around me my ears are hearing true again.

The biggest question I ask myself is would I buy it again, The answer is yes! I might have gone for the mystery Brain/Atomic Brain first and certainly still want the Fuzz Ray and Seltzerado so the only thing that would change is the order. I base this mostly on how I am currently using it.

I would like advice on the way I am perceiving the Penguin being less sparkly with the Ubangi on then off. Seems to work best for me if the middle knob is up all the way. I still have not tried it with other then my EL34 loaded amp and think that is still part of the tone I am hearing.

10. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    To answer yes there are many many pedals that use symmetric and asymmetric clipping, most often referring to diode clipping be it silicon, germanium,etc. I happen to love the TIM boost/drive by Paul Cochrane and keep mine in asymmetric mode. I play hollowbodies mostly and this works well for my playing. There are fuzz pedals that include diode clipping but as you mentioned my Seltzerado Fuzz Del Los Muertos and Fuzz Ray
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will share that there is no Diode Clipping in these Fuzz pedal circuits. The Seltzerado is based off the Vintage late 60s Mosrite Fuzz and I use metal can silicon transistors. 2N2222. The Fuzz Ray is from a very early 60s dick denney 2 transistor fuzz, I use BC109/BC108 metal can NPN trannies in this but have taken liberties w evolving tone circuits w a mix mash of NOS components and new to get a particular sound and response. ..but no clipping diodes in those fuzzes just pure vintage silicon fuzzies.

That said.. The Ubangi Stomp is solely built around the very very first late 70's Rat pedal. I made it not only more versatile but usable for cleaner stuff.. IF YOU WANT.. stay in the lower gain area and its clean n juicy dirt depending on where you set that Pagan - Missionary position switch that flips between a network of clipping diodes in the two configs of asymm clipping and symm clipping. Coupled w an inner trim pot that adjusts the EQ gain for the upper mids.
    Like this Ubangi Stomp, a Rat pedal really doesnt show anything it can do at bedroom levels on a guitar amp, all to say that the tone filter seems like it only does a limited thing going from a lot of dark area to really bright and ratty..but thats the funny thing.. you have to have a cookin amp and then use the gain on a rat pedal very sparing.. You use the volume to OPEN up the Fire Hydrants water supply, t-h-e-n you adjust the flow and focus of that waters pressure with the fire hose nozzle..the Gain pot on the pedal. the tone filter then becomes the focus or the firehose nozzle's coverage.. either very pinpoint or a big wide spray. :)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway here's a looksee inside the Ubangi Stomp and you can see that its really important to use
    the vintage tantalum caps and pre 70s, actual 60s Metal Can UA308 opamp for an even more articulate response than the OEM LM308. I do socket the
    opamp so one could try swapping in the cheaper, standard LM308 which is still very plentiful but the earlier UA308 really shows itself when you are using the low gain settings w the output cranked up. All the components matter and every single part in my pedals is belabored by my ear, then gets tempered by a smarter friend that sort of acts like an editor w "hey you dont need that here for large production" or "hey, its important to use this here". Anyway.. ya, I hope that sort of answers some of what you were asking. ??? hope so, if not keep asking questions I think I have answers :)

[​IMG]
    #UBANGISTOMP
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    audept, Ricochet and Bertotti like this.
  11. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Yes and no, more about feel, just remember to use a quality power supply, those old skool tantalum e-caps are rated at 16v
    [​IMG]

.. put a wah after it and have some fun.

Bertotti likes this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I'm working on upgrading from my dc brick to a zuma.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  13. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Bertotti likes this.
  14. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    The Zuma seems as though it would be fantastic but I think that you can get more than enough out of the (much) less expensive Ojai or Ojai r30 if you need 9/12/18v switching. I use both on different boards and either can power way more than I am using them for.

TV the Wired Turtle and Bertotti like this.
  15. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    are you using daisy chains out of particular ports?

16. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Gretschie

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    I briefly put my Ubanga on Missionary, but I much prefer it on Pagan, the way it came set. I haven't had the time to mess it with it as much as I'd like, but it sounds great in the Pagan, low gain, high volume setting, with the internal trim pot set the way it came.
    But one of these days I'd like to play with the trim pot, and with the Missionary setting for more high gain Rat tones.
    And I still need to do a little demo with mine of the way I stack it with the other gain pedals..but time..is ..so..precious..these days!
    If I go Missionary and play around with higher gain settings, any recommendation regarding the trim pot? Thanks!

17. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Its set sort of in the middle, so you can take it all the way to the right..be gentle its a trim pot. But ya all the way right is maxing the upper mids sweep and adding more gain to that frequency range. It can make some pickups squeal or depending on the stability of the NOS UA308 metal can opamp, it may self oscillate and squeal on its own at max.... no big deal, just nudge it back a hair from max and it will stop.. that spot right there is shred land, especially in Symmetrical mode with a solid body guitar.. Up the gain and go full Gnar! :) OR you can dial it all the way to the left and get a very flat mids w reduced gain and have fun w a more transparent boostier side.

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  18. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I am but only with a couple of low draw dirt and fuzz pedals in two boards. All key pedals get isolated power. On my 3rd small board, there are 5 pedals total ( including tuner and each one gets its own output. Digital pedals on the other boards are all isolated. I haven’t experienced any perceptible noise issues since someone recommended a few items to help me deal with the noisy power in our house. No issues live or in rehearsal spaces either.

19. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I was asking because you said you have plenty of power from the Ojai. I figured you might..thats what I do to get 13 pedals on the Voodoo :)

Srellim1 likes this.
  20. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    One could definitely (successfully) daisy chain quite a bit more than I do. It’s 500ma per port. I have 8+ tuner on each board then 4+ tuner on the smaller board. The power is super clean and quiet. I was initially interested in the Ojais because they were so light compared to the standard bricks.

Last edited: May 17, 2018