Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Missionary or Pagan Ubangi stomp

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Bertotti, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Ok so I have been messing around with this on the Triple XXX super forty, still don't have it where I want it but using these triple xxx amps with active eq takes a bit of learning. I suspect though it is the fact that I have EL 34 tubes loaded in and I am not apparently a fan of EL 34 tubes. Haven't liked this amps tone since I put them in. I will jack into the XXX head this week and see how it goes. I have not tried the pagan or missionary switch or the trimmer pot yet. I didn't want to do that with the amp I was not partial to. Funny thing is this was a great amp before the tube swap. I have some Marshal friends who love this amp now, funny how we all gravitate to different tones. Sadly I can not make an honest assessment of the pedal till the amp is sorted out. Initially, I think it will be a great pedal.

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Interesting tie-in---Triple XXX is the oldest drive in restaurant in Indiana, named for a brand of root beer.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    On my own homebrew builds I wire up the power supply socket to automagically cut the internal battery when I plug in a supply. I like having both to go to jams and such; one of my to-do items is make batteries for my Neo Ventilator and Mystery Brain so I can plunk them down on stage and go without being "that guy" futzing with the wall warts. I love your pedal but I do wish for the battery. ;)

4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I love root beer! Now I am onto the keto diet I can’t really have any but that doesn’t mean I cant cheat once in awhile.

5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    What will running an Ubangi at 12 volts give me? Any change in tone?

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  6. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Root beer isn't the same after the government forced the makers to change their recipes in 1960.

7. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Tell us more.

8. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    They said that the sassafras root used in root beer (hence the name) was carcinogenic....

...but it tasted so good!

Many early soft drinks were brewed like beer---sarsaparilla, root beer, ginger ale and beer. Many started of as healthful elixirs. Of course, Coke used to have 3% cocaine in it.

9. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Ok, now I remember.

10. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    We brew our own rootbeer a few times a year but in the last year, I haven't done so simply because of all the sugar! Doesn't help when you're doing the keto diet!

Sasparilla is my all time favorite drink though! There is an Austrailian imported Ginger beer I love but stopped drinking also because of the high levels of sugar it however really helped with my stomach and intestines. Now that I am doing keto I also don't have any more stomach issues. But they all come back if I indulge in too many simple carbs.

I used to take sasparilla extract with deer antler in my Marine days and working out a lot. I was the smallest guy and worked out like a maniac to at least be as strong or stronger than the big guys. Imagine me, a 115lb jarhead at 5'8". You catch a lot of Sh@# at first but after a few rounds, they realize your the real deal. I stopped it when working in the hospitals and one of the guys tells me, hey you know they have now linked that to prostate cancer!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  11. Reedlvr

Reedlvr Gretschie

Dec 8, 2017
    West Texas
    I had one back when I lived in your neck of the woods, that middle bottom knob opens a garage door in Sierra Vista....lol

Bertotti likes this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I know a lot of people like the smaller boxes but you can see in my pick I prefer the bigger boxes. The delay and chorus I think I will be putting through the fx loop anyway so they will probably sit on the top of the amp, I really don't use them too much. I prefer to play mostly clean with the RC Booter pushing the amp, jangle for the fun of it the barber rarely gets used but now and then it is fun to bust out.

13. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I am personally thinking about picking up a one spot for situations like this.

14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I find that easy to believe. :) I fear that pedals are going to fall into the trap of a lot of other consumer electronics, which is to say too many control knobs squeezed into too little space. Car radios are bad about this.

Just tonight, I received my TC Electronics HOF Mini Reverb. One knob on a pedal slightly larger than a Snickers bar. You can program in all sorts of parameters, but the stock Hall Reverb is great sounding. You can do a hell of a lot with that one knob.

I wish there were an amp-top pedalboard.

They are great units.

Reedlvr likes this.
  15. Reedlvr

Reedlvr Gretschie

Dec 8, 2017
    West Texas
    How's the Tenny coming along? update please!

16. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    The pickups are supposed to ship any minute now. When I called TV Jones this afternoon they said that they had everything, so they may have even gone out tonight. If so, I’ll be soldering them in on Saturday and (hopefully) recording with them that afternoon.

I’ve played it without pickups and it’s one nice playing neck. The instrument itself is bright, but not too bright. It feels great, just the right size and light, 7.15 pounds with pickups.

17. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    having kids finished the job! :)

Synchro likes this.
  18. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    how bout Volto by Pedaltrain, rechargeable batt supply for pedalboards.
    http://www.pedaltrain.com/volto/

19. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Looks cool but I probably wouldn’t use it enough to keep the batteries fresh. The little dc brick is working well. I figure to add a Zuma at some point then the dc brick can be my quick grab Travel PS. I’m ok with no battery connector it just caught me off guard.

20. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I would bet that a pedal like the Mystery Brain would eat up batteries in minutes.