Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Missionary or Pagan Ubangi stomp

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Bertotti, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I am curious if anyone is using the Pagan settings in this pedal? How does it sound? I am making the assumption it comes set to Missionary.

2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    With a guy like Tavo, you never can tell. I hear that he’s on the side of the missionaries, but maybe the pagans thought he was too far out for even them. :)

3. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    I don't know what you mean. Is that something on the new Ubangi? I have the original.

4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I haven’t received it yet hopefully Tuesday but his website has the description of an internal switch lablednauch so I was curious. If anyone try’s or has tried let me know please, the wait for it’s arrival is murder. Thanks!

5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Here is the paragraph from his description, “There's even a position switch inside so you can chose Missionary or Pagan position! :) Missionary is classic tight compressed response (symmetrical clipping) and Pagan is unconventionally loose and uncompressed more bite (asymmetrical clipping)” sounds interesting.

6. JHall55

JHall55 Country Gent

Dec 18, 2012
    Ontario
    I believe it’s only on the new one Blair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I am a bit surprised no one has tried this but my little prayer is the USPS is as reliable as they were 40 years ago because tomorrow is supposed to be the delivery day!

8. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    It has arrived! Now, of course, I need to work but tonight or when I am on the road later this week I will get to dig in. I also need to figure out where to put it on the temp board. I think the Carbon Copy and Chorus will be pulled and used in the effects loop, will the Jangle Box work well in the effects loop or the Micro Qtron? I don't know but will experiment. My biggest question is, as stated above, the difference between the missionary and pagan settings. Now, I like work even less. I want to play and experiment NOW!

I am probably the odd guy out but I like these bigger boxes. I like having a bit more room around the knobs, the analog chorus is a pain to tweak, and I do not have big fingers. The RC and the CC aren't too bad to adjust but that Analog Chorus is too much to close. I hope the Ubangi plays well with the DC Brick if not it will get a battery until I can step up my PS.

I will build a custom board as soon as I can aquire the last few pedals I would like.

IMG_1476.JPG

Reedlvr, ponca, audept and 2 others like this.
  9. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    That analog chorus looks like a nightmare to adjust.

10. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    here's the switch fellas (bad late night pic, switch is above the metal can opamp,next to the Wima red cap by the nocturne brain type)... I was being a dufus of course w the name "missionary" and "pagan", too much fun when it comes to Tiki stuff.. but anyway.. Pagan is asymmetrical clipping and is in the down position, I set it there stock and its denoted w a mark after I check every pedal. The guy soldering the boards always leaves it
    in the up position aka "Missionary" which is Symmetrical clipping because he is a headbanger and likes the tight,compressed mode even though I asked him to leave them in the down or uncompressed, open mode (asymmetric).
    Also remember, that you can take the upper mids gain up or down w the internal trim pot. I have it set stock flatter than most and it marked at that spot so you can
    experiment and if you liked the original spot I have it at, just line up my marking on the trimmer. You'll find where I have it set, is quite nice for low gain setting . KILLER w a tele bridge pkup for dirty clean chicken pickin and old Zep sounds.
    ubangi switch.jpg

Tele295, Wulfgang and ponca like this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yes, it is, a lot of it is because I need to learn what the knobs do and how to use it best, but they are small and close, just a major annoyance. I still prefer to do all my practice clean and on my acoustic or BJP but sometimes I just like to mess around and that's when this stuff is fun.

Now for a question regarding fuzz, I have been reading up on them. Silicone and Germanium fuzz, different circuits, seems there are quite a few ways to go, in reading Tavo's description of the Missionary and Pagan choices one is asymmetrical clipping one is syymetrical. I understand the concept but are there other pedals to do this? Ones I might be familiar with? Do the other pedals like the Fuzz Ray or the Seltzerado utilize this? I am concerned this option may drive a person to decide he needs two Ubangi.

12. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Oops posted my above just as you posted this thanks!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I'm glad I opened the back, I did not realize there is no way to connect a battery it has to be run by a power supply.

14. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    I have the newer Ubangi Stomp and a MXR Classic 108 Fuzz which is basically a Fuzz Face circuit with a buffer feature on it. I tend to use the Ubangi for clearer Rockabilly grit, and switch over to the Classic 108 when I want to go wild. The 108 is reasonably priced and I love having both in my chain so that all I have to do is stomp the button on one or the other depending on what I want. Just thought I'd share. Looks like you're getting yourself set up pretty good to me, enjoy !!

Bertotti likes this.
  15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Jut grab the Die Hard outta that old Buick and clip the jumpers to the circuit board, it'll go all day. :)

DON'T actually do this!

Bertotti likes this.
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Don't worry I won't, funny though at work I say things like this but I have to be careful who I say it to because there are some that would try. I just wanted to share in case someone else thought they could grab and go with a battery.

Thanks!

17. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    You probably could, and with no hard, but Lord help you if the hooked it up backwards or let the cables touch one another.

About 15 years ago, an outlet was miswired at work and I ended up putting 240 into a 120 v color laser printer. OMG! The inside looked like it had been struck by lightning. The electrician had messed up, but he claimed that the service box had been setup wrong in the first place. It was a real fiasco.

18. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Dont know many guys using batteries in pedals anymore. Its a pain in the arse to unplug all the input jacks on your pedal board everytime your finished playing to save battery life. It would drive me insane, or rather it already did in the 80s

Hammerhead and TSims1 like this.
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I haven’t used one In years either, this was an exception because I didn’t want to drag my pedal out and unplug the power supply and throw it in a bag since I was going to Travel. I figured a battery would be quicker and easier. No biggie. I pulled it out unwired it and threw it in a bag. The only way I get tot run it is to take it with me. I am very anxious to play with the two settings and the trimmer pot. Sadly I am not taking the whole pedal board because I would love to figure out what orde to set it up in.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  20. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    At least we know how you got this way. :)