Mislabeled/mispriced G5655T center block duo jet at GC!

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by mikechandler, Oct 15, 2019.

1. mikechandler

mikechandler Gretschie

Jul 7, 2015
    Chandler, AZ
    This guitar is a G5655T (a more valuable model, I think actually one of their top models discontinued) and it is mislabeled as a solid body G5441T.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/G...Jet-With-Bigsby-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

They have it marked as a G5441T. Whoops. And it's not solid, it's a center block. And it is made in Korea. And it has a gretsch case, with the pickguard and mounting bracket inside. I know all of this because I was there this weekend. It plays nice.

I went online to see it again, and it's still wrong.

Ricochet likes this.
  2. mikechandler

mikechandler Gretschie

Jul 7, 2015
    Chandler, AZ
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  3. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    I think they've sussed it!

4. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Gretschie

Feb 24, 2010
    DFW area, TX
    Yeah, all right, I'll jump on that. Thanks for the tip!

5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Good catch!
    I think I’ve seen these sell new for 1200 bucks. $450 and they throw in a nice case!

6. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Gretschie

Feb 24, 2010
    DFW area, TX
    Yeah, I'm pretty dang excited. It's been many years since I've owned a Gretsch, and I've never had an Electromatic before. I don't feel like I have much to lose, though - Chinese and Korean imports are as good as they've ever been in history right now! I was thinking about one of those new G5232Ts that are coming out right now in Tahiti Red, but this seems like a bit of a higher quality guitar for less money. And with a case!

Ricochet likes this.
  7. mikechandler

mikechandler Gretschie

Jul 7, 2015
    Chandler, AZ
    Yep, that's what I'm talking about!!!!

indeed - the 5655 is one of the top of the line electromatics, right below the pro-line. and it's top of the line korean mfr, btw - but as you said, the chinese are making damn fine instruments too.

be sure to report in with it when you get - I am glad somebody here snagged that one!

Carbohydrates and Ricochet like this.
  8. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Gretschie

Feb 24, 2010
    DFW area, TX
    Well I received it today! The guitar looks beautiful, the case looks nice, and everything appears to be on the up-and-up, except for the setup. Here's the thing, not only does this neck have basically zero relief (easy fix, no big deal), but it also has a truly terrible nut. It looks like an aftermarket one that was cut poorly? The slot for the third string is so low that it's just resting on the frets and rattling away. None of the slots look great. I'm guessing the previous owner put a new one on to deal with Bigsby-related tuning issues (just guessing from experience!). I don't have the tools or means to replace a nut, so that would have to go to my tech, and I'm just not sure if I want to bother with all that on what was supposed to be a pretty inexpensive impulse buy, hah. I'll have to think about it, but this one may be going back. Or maybe I sell it locally with full disclosure of the nut issue and keep the case. Not sure yet!

Henry and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Maybe a zero glide nut? Should not require much work or tools.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  10. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Gretschie

Feb 24, 2010
    DFW area, TX
    Well, having played around with it for a couple of days using barre chords and upper register picking (to avoid the open string issues), I decided to keep it. To symbolize the finality of this decision, I dropped an obligatory BiggsFix on it.

I found a Graphtech Tusq pre-cut nut that is just about perfect in terms of length, height, width, and string spacing, so I'll just drop that on there and the fine-tuning should be pretty easy!

Henry likes this.
  11. mikechandler

mikechandler Gretschie

Jul 7, 2015
    Chandler, AZ
    Damn.. sorry for all the issues.

I didn't see any problems when I checked it out, but again it was a noisy store. As for the neck relief - I'd get it strung up and settled in first. They don't need much neck relief at all. Maybe they changed the strings on it to 10s or something?

Well, I hope it all works out. It was pretty.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice