Mini amps

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by wvincagold, Mar 16, 2019.

1. wvincagold

wvincagold Gretschie

Jan 4, 2018
    US
    'llSo here is my predicament. I live with my wife as most do. However, my wife has a terrible disease HPS vasculitis. Kids get it no big deal. Adults get it very big deal as its a death sentence of miserable pain. Any case thats not what I am starting this thread, but it is why I went the way I did. Because she cannot sleep in a bed and most days cannot get up off the couch due to pain, she sleeps in our living room on a recliner. So here is the problem practicing guitar is hugely problematic, as she sleeps an average of 16 hours a day in two hour spurts. So I cannot play iron man on my Roland jazz chorus, even at the lowest settings it wakes her. Hell playing on my acoustic wakes her. So how does one practice without making so much as a mouse fart in the way of noise. Sure I could play dry without an amp but where is the fun in that?
    So I had 500.00 bucks I saved up and was planning on buying a tube amp. Don't get me wrong I love my 52JC but thought a tube amp would be nice, but again it still would be noise prohibitive. So then I watched a couple you tube videos and decided on getting the following. I got a vox AP2CR mini amp that you plug straight into the guitar. I also bought the hotone nano legacy mojo diamond and a joyo jackman. All three of these rock great! And so tiny. The mojo diamond is patterned after a fender amp, and at 5 watts it is surprising how good it is. It has 5 adjustments along with and in for your phone to hook up your tunes. Best of all it takes earphones great. I team it up with my Hotone ravo and it's a great little rocker. And it fits in the palm of your hand.
    The Jackman is another story all together, it is modeling amp and tube in the size a small box of cigars. It's supposed to sound like a Marshall amp and damn if my ears can tell the difference. Plus it has blue tooth. So I used it today, set my phone metronome playing and it played over on the amp through my phones. At 20 amps these little joyo amps are something to behold. Plug either of these into your favorite speaker cabinet and you have something you can practice or play small venue and save your back and knees. The joyo only has 3 controls and one holy **** switch that can leave you deaf if your not careful. I leave it on the lowest setting. The vox is fun as well that I can play anywhere and it even has some decent effects chorus and gain. I have not used it much to be honest because I am having a ball with the other two. Both seam to take my one pedal (if you have not considered the Ravo its one hell of a pedal in itself) with out trouble. The sound through the headphones are awesome. I am ecstatic with all three, and I hope to have years of service out of them. The jackman and mojo diamond have other amps which sound different for personal taste. If your looking for something that does not wake the neighbors but still lets you rock I recomend all three of these. If you have any questions I will be happy to discuss and help answer any questions that I can. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have a Joyo AtomiC which sounds just fine but I can tell it isn't a tube amp still it has respectable tone. But to get some power amp tube tone I think I will pursue a Fryette Power Station 2. Reactive load box, 50-watt 6l6 tube power amp, fx loop, impedance matching for head to cab. Might be something you would be interested in at some point. Cranked amp if you want at whisper volume.

wvincagold likes this.
  3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    j.s.c, ruger9, wvincagold and 2 others like this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    That sounds really good. No speaker out for a bigger cab if so desired?

5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thanks !

Actually no, Bertotti : it was not the objective pursued. The goal was building "the smallest" o_O standalone tube amp combo. Finding a place for a ext. jack speaker was not easy and unaesthetical, plus I'm not sure that this circuit would have sounded good on a bigger cab, even if I never tested...

I'm thinking to built one day a Radio Tone Senior, a bit bigger in order to include reverb and tremolo... One day !:rolleyes:;)

A+!

Bertotti likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I'm in a similar predicament as my wife has on her mind constantly her lung cancer . Although it's contained in an area , and she's was diagnosed 6 hears ago , it's like a time bomb waiting to go off . Plus the fact that we're in a small house . I too have a Roland . Mine is a JC-40 . I use headphones in the back of my amp which does not disturb the " quality of life " in the marriage ...:p
    I'm glad you have a new set up and it all works out for you . But I'm curious ...... does your JC-52 have a head phone jack in the back panel ? Just wondering ...
    Congrats on the new gear :)

wvincagold likes this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    There are plenty of small amps on the market. Vox has a few---DA-3 and others. Some have built in FX, and with an external input and a headphone output, they're certainly not likely to be heard by a others. Sadly, none sound like a Marshall stack cranked to 11, but that's one of the trade offs we have to deal with in life. I fill my small amp needs with a Fender Champ 600 (same as the Gretsch 5222) a pair of 1949 David Bogen 10 watt PA heads, and an Ampex (yes, AmpeX) powered monitor from around 1961.

Guys, I'm really saddened to hear about your wives. I wish them the best.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    wvincagold and Bertotti like this.
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I was intending on chasing a Fryette Power Station 2 but since I got the Baby Blondeshell I have a great sounding low volume amp. I still plan on chasing a PS2 someday but the desire to do so right now is gone. More of a 2020, 2021 goal.

Waxhead likes this.
  9. wvincagold

wvincagold Gretschie

Jan 4, 2018
    US
    I love that amp! Very nice. It reminds me of something danelectro would make. Very retro.

10. wvincagold

wvincagold Gretschie

Jan 4, 2018
    US
    Not truly a tube amp I agree. But a tube amp is wasted on most. Including me. After 35 years working in the next aircraft and machining field, building hot rods and riding harleys, my hearing does not lend itself to the subtle tones. But the manufacturers are getting closer. These little joyo hooked into a 10 inch ragin cajun still can puts some nice sounds. To me its pretty amazing. 20 years ago I bought a little travel amp that small 20 dollar danelectro. I think they still make the thing. They have come a long way. And before you laugh I was doing allot of traveling and my guitar and amp would be in my hotel room ripe for the picking. So I bought a epiphone L.P. special 2 for 125.00 and that little danelectro for 12 bucks on eBay used. If someone walked off with them I would not be heart broken.

Andrew Griffin likes this.
  11. wvincagold

wvincagold Gretschie

Jan 4, 2018
    US
    Nope, I was pretty suprised myself. I have the jc 55 sorry for the typo. It's a 1980s or so model. While it's an awesome amp that is a drawback. Even my danelectro nifty fifty had a place for head phones.

12. wvincagold

wvincagold Gretschie

Jan 4, 2018
    US
    Thanks appreciate the sentiment.

wabash slim likes this.
  13. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thanks ! Yes, that was the idea behind...

A+!

14. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    .... but the new JC-22 has a head phone jack . You should check one out

wvincagold likes this.
  15. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I have the Hotone British Invasion(Vox). It packs a respectable Solid state punch in a small package.

The new floormodels like the “British Wind” were they combine 2 nano pre-amps British Invasion and Purple Wind with a 75W poweramp look interesting.

wvincagold likes this.
  16. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Mightily impressed!!!! LOVE it!!!!

For TUBES, that may be the best I've ever heard.

Otherwise, lots of tiny amps out there- Boss has one now, Blackstar, I have a little Roland Microcube... BUT ..... if you need something "quieter than an acoustic guitar", I'm afraid you'll be limited to headphone amps or using a headphone out jack.

One thing to remember about headphone out jacks: they sound crappy, UNLESS the jack has "speaker simulation" built-in, which my Vox DA5 (now gone) had, and I can tell you it makes a HUGE difference from a regular headphone jack.

wvincagold likes this.
  17. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

So sorry to read about your wife's condition, wvincagold, but I'm glad there are some options available so she can get the rest she needs, and you can still enjoy playing.

wvincagold likes this.
  18. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    I'm sorry to hear about your wife. Five years ago my wife passed away from cancer, so I have a glimpse into the challenges in your life. After she died I got interested in playing guitar as a way to bring joy into my life. I have a new partner now, so I'm taking an interest in mini amps! It turns out that not everybody wants to hear me play Day Tripper or Jumping Jack Flash for an hour as much as I do, lol. I've been thinking about the Vox but had never heard of the other two. I'll be checking them out.

audept and wvincagold like this.
  19. wvincagold

wvincagold Gretschie

Jan 4, 2018
    US
    Sorry to hear about your wife as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

20. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

So sorry about your wife. Very sweet of you though to be so accommodating to her, I know of guys who wouldn't be so considerate!

I have one of those Vox plug ins, I love it. Works great, I've even dropped it (oops) and it still works great. The only bad part is now I'd like a full sized Vox amp! I also have a small Danelectro amp that I bought back when I bought my acoustic/electric, got it so I could be sure the electronics in it worked right.

Both my Fender Frontman and Line 6 Spyder have earphone jacks, comes in handy! Enjoy!!!

wvincagold likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice