MIJ Gretsch Disappointment

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Aaron1061, Feb 4, 2019.

1. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Oh dear!

2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Man, that is a sexy beast!

BorderRadio likes this.
  3. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Gretschie

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    I agree with everyone else, please start a thread and post high res. pictures. I hope it is just some clear coat coming off, but even that would be strange although if it is clear coat it should be repairable. But it may end up being a warranty issue. Did you buy it used? Could it have taken a knock there and cracked the clear coat I wonder. But yeah let's see some pictures!

4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    No, it was more like the shape of a G6219T but that doesn't seem to be available in metallic red, so maybe a different model number. I do remember seeing MIJ on the pictures though.

5. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    What's a 6219T?

There is also this. This is my 1997 G6129TR
    [​IMG]

Merc, mbkri, audept and 1 other person like this.
  6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
  7. Falconman

Falconman Electromatic

Feb 6, 2019
    Ames, IA
    I'll try to post pics tomorrow in the daylight. It may be tough to capture in image, but I'll try.
    To answer another question, yes I am the original owner, bought about two years ago. I'm gonna take it to the store where I got it whenever the damn weather relents b/w Ames and Des Moines.

8. Falconman

Falconman Electromatic

Feb 6, 2019
    Ames, IA
    I will try a few close-ups here, re. my above posts. The discoloration just below the first fret is where the 'clear plastic' strip has come loose and broken off. The surface below is extremely rough.
    IMG_0268.JPG

9. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Sharp fret ends are easy to repair.
    It's a seasonal thing...

10. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    That's definitely peeling drum wrap... Which is what the sparkle is made of anyway.

EDIT: actually, upon closer inspection, that's the poly clear coat that has cracked and dropped off. :eek:

11. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    By “clear plastic strip” do you mean that the nitro finish is chipped? I dont know that there is a plastic strip involved. The photo looks like a sizable chip in the nitro. Which if it wasnt from an impact that you know of shouldnt have happened and ought to be covered under warrantee i imagine. But its hard to prove that it was due to a manufacturing issue and not wear and tear. Just my 2cents. Thats a bummer though. Id definite be talking to my luthier about getting that repaired before it gets worse.

Merc and Waxhead like this.
  12. Falconman

Falconman Electromatic

Feb 6, 2019
    Ames, IA
    I'm wondering if the poly clear coat is what appears to be what I called a "strip," simply because that's what it looks like -- a "plastic strip", once it comes loose all the way down the fretboard. Which it has, by the way. What has broken off, as the pic tries to show, is about 2-3 inches down to the first fret.

13. Falconman

Falconman Electromatic

Feb 6, 2019
    Ames, IA
    I don't know what it could be, other than a manufacturing issue or flaw. The guitar has not been damaged or hit, and it is not heavily played or even taken outside the studio. However, I'll have to consult the retail seller about the warranty, if any. The guitar is about two years old, maybe two-and-a-half.

14. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I think Gretsch customer Service, which is usually very good, would be your best bet. This is a top of the line product and they live or die by their reputation. Best of luck either way, i hope you can get this resolved without having to spend more money to be thrilled with your falcon again.

Waxhead likes this.
  15. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    ya thats the clear coat not the inlaid binding. Gretsch uses a sealer coat of poly before laying down Lacquer on the models spec'd for it. I had some of this going on at the top of the neck where the nut was.

Merc and Falconman like this.
  16. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Looks like exactly what happened with my 5420. Gretsch/FMIC did a straight exchange since it was brand new (made in March, ordered in August and arrived in October) and under warranty.

Falconman likes this.
  17. Falconman

Falconman Electromatic

Feb 6, 2019
    Ames, IA
    UPDATE:
    Well, it's turns out Gretsch/Fender's customer service isn't quite very good, IMO at least, as they have declined to warranty this situation. When this poly strip came loose, I tried to super-glue it back on, and this voided any warranty from their policy point of view. But they also maintained that the guitar "must have been damaged or hit from the side in some fashion," which is an insinuation about my honest that is absolutely unacceptable to me. The guitar was not damaged in any way, as it had never left its case or the studio before I discovered this.

I'm not going to vent about this, except to say, as a session guitarist, performer and player of over 45 years, there are a lot of guitar choices available to me, and this will be my last Gretsch, based on this experience. I will have the guitar repaired at my own expense, but then I'm done.

Aaron1061 likes this.
  18. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I'm not trying to be a "fanboy" of Gretsch, but why would you use any type of "CA" on an instrument repair?

That's a huge NO NO in guitar repair 101, and I can see why any company would not move foward with a warranty repair. Why would they after a CA was used as an owners attempt to fix something.

If you bought a new car, and tried repairing a few paint blemishes unsuccessfully yourself, what do you think the manufacturer would say?

Sorry to hear about this issue, but I sure can't blame Gretsch for walking away from this.

Henry and Waxhead like this.
  19. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Gretschie

May 23, 2016
    AL
    you're skimming over the part where they called him a liar saying it mustve been hit to produce that damage when he said it had not.

20. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    No skimming, just a third party obvervation of this story.

Obviously an emmotional situation for the OP, and not trying to be a jerk, but I didn't hear the exact conversation from either side.

Again, I can see why a warranty claim was denied, and would be by any guitar company after an unsuccessful CA repair on the defective area.

Waxhead likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice