MIJ Gretsch Disappointment

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Aaron1061, Feb 4, 2019.

1. latetotheparty

latetotheparty Electromatic

Mar 18, 2018
    Omaha
    It’s GC man. They’re the worst on humidifying.

G5422T likes this.
  2. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    All the proline gretsch guitars I own and have owned have been flawless

3. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    One further thing to mention is, that Prolines are usually setup by the factory for transport, not for best playability.

Both my Panther and my Falcon were still in the Gretsch card box, when I asked to buy them and the setup just sucked. I played them, knew, they just needed a pro setup, which I did myself at home after a string change (just trussrod and bridge height was needed to be adjusted) and BAM, superbly playing guitars. The Penguin though already was nicely setup ... I guess Thomann already took care of that.

Furthermore ... someone who says, an Electro sounds better than a Proline has either some problem with his/her ears or never plays clean :D No offence intended!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  4. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    Anxiety related nausea, quite common around the holiday season.

Oh no, hang on, that's "sprout fret".

speedicut, Waxhead, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  5. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    It's been a while since I've been to a GC but I guess it's a bit the same over here in Europe... the biggest the shop, the less is the care they took on their instruments 'cause they have too many of them, with limited employees workpower.
    I played 5000+ euros Gibbys in Holland that had almost-rusty strings, let alone being in tune.
    I guess it's a lucky charm. Or probably they don't sell many Pro Line Gretsch in these days.

6. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    IMHO MIJ Gretsch guitars are among the best guitars you can buy.

new6659, G5422T and RocknRollShakeUp like this.
  7. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    And some day, I shall have a few. For now I'm thankful for the Electromatic line. Without it I wouldn't be on these forums with, quite literally, the best members of any forum I've been on since the interwebs began. Well, my site's old forums were a happening thing but they died.

8. Joey L

Joey L Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    DAE89513-1717-4835-AA8E-4898E4796627.jpeg I never experienced any shoddy QC when trying out Pro Models. However, I can say that the 2016 5420 Electromatic I bought was flawless, frets, fit, finish and playability. As A personal preference, Installed TV Classics and a quality roller bridge. This guitar is a keeper and does not have me gassing for a similar Pro model at 3X the cost. Great tone though my Princeton Reverb.

cqscqs, Waxhead, new6659 and 4 others like this.
  9. afire

afire Country Gent

Because they all had different journeys under different conditions.

I don't expect any guitar that's been shipped across the country much less shipped across the globe to be perfect out of the box no matter how rigorous the QC was before it was boxed up.

10. PDMan

PDMan Electromatic

Dec 26, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    I've been in Nashville for 20 years and that location of GC is not the best. They put me through the ringer on a Martin HD-28V years ago. I'm not surprised, and frankly, I rarely - if ever - go in there.

11. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Gretschie

May 23, 2016
    AL
    Noted! Now that we mention it, it took me walking into the platinum room 6 times for the employee inside to ask if i even needed assistance. i was about to pick the locks myself. :rolleyes:

what shops you recommend for next time im up there? ive only ever been there and to Shiloh Music.

12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Because their fretboards were not made of the same wood, from the same origin and the same year. They weren`t even made in the same factory with the same humidity there and on their shipping to your GC.

new6659 and Aaron1061 like this.
  13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    P.s.: Enjoy your PRS.

Aaron1061 and tartanphantom like this.
  14. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    +1
    The PRS is a quality instrument... Regardless of what one might think of pro-line Gretsch models.

15. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I think it's irrelevant :)
    And the only thing you're looking at is fret sharpness and you're doing it at GC - which from what I've heard from 100s of US guys is the last place on earth anyone should be looking at guitars :)

16. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I think what needs to be kept in mind that the polar vortex that froze the Midwest had a tremendous impact on Middle Tennessee. I'm up in Clarksville, about an hour north of Clarksville, and it was cold enough for the air to carry very little moisture. Couple that with forced air heating, and the indoor humidity levels fell dramatically. Inside my home, I read 23% humidity, and my skin was drying out something terrible. I had to set up a humidifier in my bedroom to help out my skin and my sinuses. In just the last few days, we got a break in the temps, and with rain coming in the humidity levels are going back up.

I don't know where the pro line guitars were, compared to where the Electros were in the store, or whether one or the other might have recently been brought from another location. What I do know is that the low humidity in Middle Tennessee likely had it's effect in drying out the neck wood and causing the fret ends to stick out.

17. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    Exactly right LMD!

18. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I have a dog named "sprout" - true he's a real cute guy and he luvs guitars too. I've warned him about going to GC but he'll do anything for food :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  19. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    Jack Russell's are the greatest dogs on earth, without any doubt. I have two now which are 10 years old (a brother and sister) and was privileged to live with another one (a truly exceptional creature) for 14 years before these. But they didn't all love guitar playing. A guitar meant that they couldn't sit pressed up tight against me on the couch. You've got a wonderful guy there. I just love them!

Waxhead and audept like this.
  20. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Jack Russell's ARE the greatest dogs on earth!
    IMG_0432.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice