MIJ Gretsch Disappointment

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Aaron1061, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Gretschie

May 23, 2016
    AL
    I was in Nashville this past weekend and went to the GC on Thompson. While I was there, i thought id play some high end guitars. particularly some Gretsches.

All 5 Falcons, Pro, and Player models... and i mean ALL, had sharp fret ends. I was really disappointed. Really cured the GAS id been having for them.

But then i thought maybe its just GC not taking care of their stuff. I will go try some of their new electromatics.

Every electromatic was perfectly stunning in every way. And they have this new G5422tg LTD in white sparkle that was exceptionally dazzling. i prefer the blacktops anyway.

are the Japan models just hype? are electros just as good or better for less than half the price??

IMG_1134.jpg

thunder58 likes this.
  2. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    nope. they are just electros

Robbie, T Bone, reverb11 and 3 others like this.
  3. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Gretschie

May 23, 2016
    AL
    so you are saying the guitars that all consistently had fret sprout are better than all the guitars that were consistently just fine?

wabash slim likes this.
  4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    My Duo Jet was 100% faultless.

Aaron1061, G5422T and 5120mantis like this.
  5. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I have a Panther, a Falcon and a Penguin and all are absolutely flawless, stunning guitars.

Mmh, has Gretsch developed a QC issue in Japan lately?

6. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Can't speak to the current models-- all 5 of my Pro Line models were made before 2012... No issues with any of those.

But honestly, I haven't even touched a Pro line made after 2017, so I could not say whether this is a Gretsch thing or not.

7. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    No problems with quality in any of my prolines. Only the Gent was made in the USA, all the others from Terada or FujiGendaki factories. I wonder if it was a climate control issue in the platinum room at that Guitar Centre? The prolines are all displayed in the Platinum room in Chicago GC and its noticably cooler and presumably at a controlled humidity. Maybe something wrong with the climate in that store though? Worth a call maybe?
    9660C38E-796F-4070-A921-F4B5099A0220.jpeg

8. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Strange because japanese guitars got a high quality and finish claim generally. The last series Electromatics are wonderful guitars and no budget models anymore, at least in my experience. They‘re in a class of their own- meanwhile they‘re in their historic tradition.
    But anyways, the japanese Gretsches are also in their own (premium) class. I‘ve never seen sharp fret edges on a Pro (and neither on Electros).

ZackyDog, Howard hughes and G5422T like this.
  9. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Gretschie

May 23, 2016
    AL
    the duesenbergs hanging next to the gretsches were all just fine. wasnt impressed with them either, though, if im honest. lol

10. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I won't speak for Tavo, but IMO, yes...

Fret sprout is a seasonal/humidity thing that can happen to just about any guitar w/ non captive fret ends that still has enough moisture in the board to allow shrinkage/expansion. If you happen to get a guitar that never experiences fret sprout that isn't a custom built one off that's had it's wood aged in humidity controlled storage for months/years or torrified/baked/roasted prior to build, you're either very lucky or you live in a constant humdity environment IME.

Fret sprout is almost always a symptom of the board wood shrinking and is caused by the guitar being stored in a dry environment for a long time rather than inferior materials or assembly.

On the bright side, you're very rarely ever going to need to get those fret ends cleaned up more than once.

Just my .02

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  11. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I have only owned 2010 and older prolines...and besides the usual quirky-ness, they were all high quality instruments....I just posted about my GC day today and how I usually don't ever buy new guitars anyway. Either way, I am disappointed to hear this about prolines...hope it was a fluke

12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I never had a proline in my hands that was not absolutely perfect and high-end in it`s truest sense.
    I would assume that the sharp edges on the frets on all of that Japanese guitars result from a local humidity problem.

new6659, G5422T, TSims1 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I think this is more emblematic of old stock that hasn't been maintained than a QC issue...

My NOS 6128T I got on blowout from Adorama had plenty of sprout. I kinda figured it would as soon as I saw the serial number and knowing that in all likelihood it had been stored in a sketchy warehouse for a couple years.

MotorCentaur, G5422T and Aaron1061 like this.
  14. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Gretschie

May 23, 2016
    AL
    then why were the duesenbergs and all of the other guitars in the platinum room just fine?

15. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Gretschie

May 23, 2016
    AL
    i can see that.

16. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Dang...I just wish my GC had prolines....they have about 5 Electros and that's it:(

mrfixitmi likes this.
  17. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Gretschie

May 23, 2016
    AL
    you're not missing out on much, apparently!

18. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    My Korean Electromatics are absolutely stunning guitars regarding fit and finish, including the frets. My Pro Line Tennessee Rose made in Japan in 2016 was even more stunning regarding fit and finish.

G5422T and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  19. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Don't dispart . A pro end is still a great guitar . Don't ever be afraid to ask ..." if I buy this , what can you do for me " .... They may do nothing or they may do for free or they may do 50% off a set up or something . After all , $999.99 price tag is a good chunk of change for the workin' guy

ZackyDog and NJDevil like this.
  20. 86runner

86runner Electromatic

May 6, 2015
    Nashville
    Could it be they had just gotten the Duesenbergs in stock and they hadn't been hanging in that room as long as the Gretsches? I'm blaming this on humidity as well, because I've never had a Proline Gretsch that wasn't perfect. Don't get me wrong, I had a 5120 first and it was a great guitar. But, all my subsequent Prolines have been....greater?

Edit: I should also add that I have frequented that GC LOTS in my 41 years of life (I was born and raised here....we're like Unicorns around this place nowadays). It ain't where you're gonna find the nicest stuff. I've played plenty of guitars there that seemingly haven't had any attention whatsoever in months.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice