mid-range vs. high end new Gretsches

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by niilopi, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I bet you‘ll get used to this neck.

2. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    One of the great things about being a player today is the availability of incredible guitars in all price ranges. And I'm not just talking Gretsch, although they are a perfect example.
    You can find Gibson, Fender, PRS, and many other brands that offer any player all the guitar they want at pretty much any price they are able to afford.
    When I started playing (1958), a cheap guitar was a cheap guitar. My $10 Silvertone being a great example of everything a player should try to avoid.
    So, Hurray for today's options.

manunk and new6659 like this.
  3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Sweet, hope you like it. If not, it should be easy to unload for not too much loss.

4. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I guess there would be some loss, if he would sell it, because he has to pay tax and shipping, which is a few hundred €.

But who knows, the Panther seems to become more and more popular and with higher demand and lower availability, prices might rise ;)

But hey ... did we have someone in the forum, who sold his Panther? No!

niilopi and new6659 like this.
  5. niilopi

niilopi Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    Finland
    Yea i might lose a few hundred to sell it here in europe.. but lets hope it stands up for its fame and its a keeper. Atleast it should be easy to sell with all the hype.

Aymara did u do a comparison recording between the old bridge and the new abm?
    Ive used ABM products on my gibsons with good results before. You mentioned that the abm will increase the bass side of the guitar so for me thats not necessarily a good thing. Or did you mean the bass tightens up?

I dont want an overly bassy guitar thats why im selling my les paul.. but a tight bass sounds good.

And did you change the bridge studs on your guitar or use the originals?

6. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    For my taste the Panther is one of the best Gretsches of all time. I think, it speaks for itself, that no owner in this forum ever sold it ;)

No, because I wouldn‘t have guessed, that the sound difference would be that noticable. I mainly chose the ABM, because the stock bridge rattled and I wanted a roller bridge. So for me the better sound was a nice surprise.

It is a good thing, because due to the thin body and the center block, the bass is weaker, than on other Gretsch hollow bodies. But the ABM, as a brass TrueArc for example too, gives it that extra bass (without loosing midrange or treble), that it needs.

You should also try pure nickel strings, which gives you a nice woody bass, which sounds much more as a hollow body. I love Thomastik Jazz Swing in .10-.44 on the Panther, because the flatwounds allow ultra low action. If you prefer roundwound ... I made pretty good experience with Gibson Vintage Reissue on my Falcon. If you prefer the strings to be very bright, try out Gibson Brite Wires.

In my case the ABM 2400 was „plug & play“, a direct fit. But a few others needed new studs. There‘s a long thread about the ABM from 2014.

Bertotti likes this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I still haven’t tried bright wires but I have used the Jazz swing and Jazz bebops on my guitar and love both. Going on 9 months with no discernible change in tone but I do not play out or hammer it everyday.

8. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I found them much too bright on the BJ Penguin and switched to Gibson Vintage Reissue, because I already liked them on my Falcon.

BTW, TI Jazz Swing tame overdrive due to their round core. The Gibson VR don‘t, because they have a hex core.

Bertotti likes this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Hmmm tame overdrive, maybe that’s why I like them.

Henry likes this.
  10. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    The centre block models generally have a 6 as the second digit in the model number. In the mid-range Electromatic line, the centre block guitars are the 5622 (with a 16" lower bout and a double cut) and the 5655 (with a smaller lower bout—I believe it's 13.5" or 14"—and a single cut).

The newest 5622s have Blacktop Broadtron pickups and they're made in China. Last year's 5622s have SuperHilotron pickups and are made in Korea. Most people here would probably tell you that the Korean 5622s with two SuperHilotrons are superior. You may be able to get a good deal on one as the stores sell off their old stock. Adorama had an excellent deal on them before Christmas, selling them for under $500. I don't know whether the sale is still on, or whether they ship to Europe.

As always, your best bet is to try them out first and see which models feel best to you. Good luck!

11. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Yes, I was astonished, that with the TI JS my Blackstar’s overdrive channel suddenly had much more clean headroom ;)

12. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    On Gretsch's homepage, both 5622 are still listed. Just looked it up.

How's this to interpret? They still build two models with different specs with the same name? Not likely...

Maybe they somehow forgot...

13. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Whoops—if I'd read to the end of the thread before posting my comment, I would have seen that you'd already bought that Panther. Congratulations! I'm sure you'll be thrilled with it.

niilopi likes this.
  14. niilopi

niilopi Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    Finland
    Hey.. got my Black Panther today. Its in great condition, playability is superb! better than i expected, Filtertrons sound perfect full but bright to me as i have been battling with les paul humbuckers that are always too muddy or dark, for a center block this guitar has that huge hollowbody tone kind of like a natural reverb going on. Cant say anything bad about it.. the neck feels good. Lets see how it works in a band situation later on..
    The bridge feels nice and sturdy well see if theres a need to change that or not. My use of the bigsby is very light.

Attached Files:

audept, davenumber2, Bertotti and 3 others like this.
  15. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Congrats!

That‘s because the center block is hollow and not solid wood ;)

Then there‘s only one last word to say: Enjoy!

PS: One last tip: Try pure nickel strings, e.g. Gibson Vintage Reissue. I play Thomastik Jazz Swing flatwounds on the Panther and they give it a nice woody bass tone ... and they allow super low action, lower than roundwounds.

16. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats niilopi!

Classy geet that.

17. johnnybegood

johnnybegood Electromatic

Jan 26, 2020
    Charleroi Pa.
    I am a new owner of a Gretsch G5622t three pups I am a novice player and really am very happy with the way it sounds stock and will probably keep it that way but just wondering so many people talk about mods what exactly are they modding to when it comes to electronics and Bigsby tremolos. Are there any specific threads out there addressing the mods ?

18. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Mods have been discussed pretty often. Most people just do minor changes, e.g. getting a better nut or bridge. But many also change from Blacktops to TV Jones Classic pickups or even a TVJ wiring harness or better pots.

Interestingly I don‘t remember someone replacing the pickups of your G5622 ;)

19. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Congrats niilopi, and welcome to the Panther owners club!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice