mid-range vs. high end new Gretsches

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by niilopi, Jan 18, 2020.

1. niilopi

niilopi Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    Finland
    ok.. learning a lot of gretsch stuff.. so a pure gretsch has no tension bar and the bridge is with a wooden base. Basically the 5422 is then a pure gretsch.. just that its hollow? and its got a fatter body.. kinda in between a full and a thinline.

i really dont mind tho about these details.. if a straight bridge and a tension bar bigsby sounds good.. does it for me

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  2. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Check out, if you can find a shop, where you can test a G5422.

But also think about the Panther ... they got pretty rare, because most owners love them and would never sell them ... that says a lot!

That used one is still cheaper, than it was new (even with tax & shipping) and it‘s in pretty good condition.

GlenP likes this.
  3. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    I don't know much about the newer Gretschs (all mine are from 1997 and 2005-2008) but you could also consider a used G6119-1962FT. This is a single cut, thinline style (called Electone) body with no center block but with fake (painted) f-holes so it is more feedback resisitant. The FT model has humbucking HS Filtertrons.

You could also look at Jets. They aren't hollow but are heavily chambered so they are almost hollow. My G6121 weighs 6.8 lbs.

Sid Nitzerglobin and new6659 like this.
  4. niilopi

niilopi Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    Finland
    i did a quick calculation. If the seller reduces the selling price to 1700euro the guitar will cost me 2500euro. Thats 2770 dollars us.

5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    1600euro for a used guitar is only cheap in relative terms!

I suggest waiting patiently for a used proline, which I think are around that price.

6. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Maybe the shop is willing to reduce the price a bit?

Nevertheless ... the new price was 2800€, which was a „bargain“ compared to other Prolines, that weren‘t that good as the Panther, which has a superb sound and high fret access.

Here‘s the video, which made me want one in 2013:

And some more:

GlenP likes this.
  7. niilopi

niilopi Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    Finland
    Any idea what a panther is worth in europe? What are they selling for?

8. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    To answer this question is nearly impossible, because no Panthers are available, except the one on Reverb in the US.

It costed 2800€ new and I did a research, which new Gretsch model would come most close to the Panther. From what is available in Germany I only found one:

https://www.musicstore.com/en_FI/EU...ntleman-Bigsby-Amber-Stain/art-GIT0049414-000

If you‘re interested, I can tell you, that this is a reputable dealer, where I bought my Panther.

PS: Listen to it:

PPS: If I wouldn‘t have a Panther I would definitely choose this one, because it has the same electronics, the same superb high fret access, but a better bridge and tuners and ebony vs rosewood fretboard. But it has no center block!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Bertotti likes this.
  9. Rob_Brindley

Rob_Brindley Gretschie

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    We've got several pro-series Gretschs and several Electromatics. For what it's worth, I think the standard Electromatics are the best value for money guitars out there. And, with a few mods, they can become really, really good. That said, when you play one of the pro-series guitars, you can feel the difference. In my mind atleast, the extra cost is completely justified and worth spending if you can afford it. You wont be disappointed - Nothing plays something than a properly set up pro series Gretsch.

Mr Swisher likes this.
  10. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    honestly in my experience anything from gretsch is always good. that black panther is a sweet looking guitar

11. niilopi

niilopi Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    Finland
    That 6122 is a hollow body.. the sound is a bit different to my ears. Not so focused and bright as the cb panther. And the price is a bit more than i can get a panther for.. i really want one :D

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  12. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Judging only by videos might be missleading. But yes, the Gentleman has a Rocking Bar bridge, which is brass. I myself replaced the cheap rattling China bridge of the Panther with the ABM2400, which is also brass. And the sound was improved drastically ... much better bass response.

Well, there‘s only one Panther available used and it will cost you nearly the price of a new one (incl. tax), which is no longer available.

The Gentleman though is brand new and I guess, can be ordered in Finland directly? That would mean, no additional taxes and no shipping costs, even when ordering from Music Store in Cologne, Germany.

13. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    PS: Here‘s a further video of the Gentleman:

Bertotti likes this.
  14. niilopi

niilopi Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    Finland
    Aymara hows the neck on a panther? I like big necks a les paul -59 style, i have a -62 hot rod avri strato which has a big fat neck.

15. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    The Panther has more a 60ies neck in LP terms. But the above Gentleman has a U neck in it‘s specs, so I would expect it to be a bit thicker ... mail the guys from Music Store for more details, if you‘re interested.

16. niilopi

niilopi Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    Finland
    i was lookin at the dimensions.
    My strat:
    1st 23mm
    12th 25mm

My LP
    1st 22.5mm
    12th 25mm

Black panther
    1st 20.6mm
    12th 24.4mm

not really interested in that gent.
    thinking about accepting an offer on the panther.. but this neck thing is worrying me

17. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Regarding your measurements, we talk about half a mm at the second fret, right?

18. niilopi

niilopi Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    Finland
    i just accepted the offer for 1680euro. Cant wait to get it here.. i just tought if i dont do it itll be haunting me :D

Bertotti and Aymara like this.
  19. niilopi

niilopi Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    Finland
    sorry i meant 12th fret for the other measure

20. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Congrats and welcome to the Panther Club ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice