mid-range vs. high end new Gretsches

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by niilopi, Jan 18, 2020.

1. niilopi

niilopi Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    Finland
    Hey,

Im looking for a Gretsch for myself.. does anyone have any experience on the new models and could say what im getting for the money from a +1000euro to a 2500euro gretsch? Im looking for a thinline, semi-hollow centerblock model. Would prefer filtertrons or tvjones but for example on the 6659 i dont mind switching the fulltrons to filters myself. Colours blue, black and olive green preferred.

Mainly interested in these models
    6636 2900euro
    6659 2500euro

5422 1000euro
    5655 900euro

and everything in between.

Or is there something on the used market that i should consider on top of these.

Are those black top filtertrons on the low end models the same pickups as the high end filtertrons?

Been playin for over 10yrs and my standards are pretty high. But sometimes it seems i can get a really good instrument even in the 1000euro range.. and the money buys just more useless hifi and details.

Thanks for the help folks

2. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    Get a made in Japan pro model and never have to wonder what if ?...

3. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    England
    have you actually tried any yet?

rob batz likes this.
  4. niilopi

niilopi Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    Finland
    just goin to the shop to try some out.. dont know if they have any pro models tough.

I wanna get rid of that buy the most expensive one and dont regret mode.. sometimes it works sometimes not.

I have a famous luthier built les paul Ruokangas Unicorn which is one of the best guitars ive played.. but doesnt have the feeling i need for now. I bought a used Fender avri hot rod -62 stratocaster for 1600euro and ive been playing that as my no 1 because it plays great and its got the feeling i need. I compared it to a luthier +4000euro stratocaster and theres basically no difference to me.

Thats got me looking for cheaper guitars to love!

rob batz likes this.
  5. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I have Gretsch guitars from all price points. My personal favorite is a streamliner I rebuilt to be amazing. I think you’d be perfectly happy with a 542x model. They sound great and are of a shockingly good quality. The pickups are not the same as the pro models. They sound great but compared to the pro line they just dint hold up. But a 532x with upgraded pickups and a better bridge would be a very nice guit for you

new6659, rob batz and niilopi like this.
  6. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    As a Panther owner, I‘m totally disappointed by the current center block lineup, because all have a bridge without wooden bridge base and they all have a tension bar Bigsby.

If I were you, I would ether mod an Electromatic with better bridge/Bigsby specs or have a look at used Panthers or double cut Falcons of that time, when the Panther was released (2013).
    A used Panther would be the best choice for my taste ... the best CB model Gretsch every built in my opinion.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    GlenP, danielfbr6, anthony466 and 4 others like this.
  7. niilopi

niilopi Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    Finland
    The Panther would be nice but u just cant get those anywhere atleast here in europe. By the looks of it the electromatic 5422 is the only one with the wooden bridge plate. That propably means that the neck is higher from the top on that model also vs. the bridges bolted to the top. Guess they lowered them to make the new ones feel more like traditional electric guitars.

But the 5422 doesnt have a CB tough.. Im wondering if it will matter to me. How prone are those to feedback. Im using a stratocaster for the hardest rock n roll anyway..

8. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Absolutely agree with this! The panther is an amazing instrument. Well worth it to track one down, they don’t disappoint

9. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Correct, the neck angle is different. But the reason in my opinion is to standardize most models to reduce production costs.

Search the forum about it ... you‘re not the first thinking about it ;)

And try one out in a shop. Furthermore keep in mind, that Blacktops sound much darker as Filtertrons and that Prolines have better electronics as Electromatics.

10. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    GlenP and Henry like this.
  11. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    For the money the newer Electromatics are really good guitars. You won’t be disappointed with the build quality or fit and finish. There’s nothing to point to and say “that part isn’t any good”. Well, maybe the bridges but that seems to be most Gretsch guitars and there are some very good replacement available.

The Pro models are a step up, but what you’re really paying for are specific features. If you’re into them enough to care about those features, the extra money is worth it. Specific woods, neck shapes, but materials, that sort of thing.

12. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Try some quick but better yet go for that Panther!

13. niilopi

niilopi Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    Finland
    Wish that was all. Theres tax +24% of price + customs fee few hundred euros to get a guitar from us to europe.

14. niilopi

niilopi Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    Finland
    went to the local gretsch dealer they didnt have that much guitars there and none of the ones i was looking for.

they had a electromatic 5622 cb and a chet atkins hollow body pro model.

well i instantly did like the 5622 it worked for me well. Didnt try it trough the pickups tough so cant say anything about that.

the chet atkins was more resonate acoustic feeling guitar but the sound was pretty dark and kinda dull for me. Propably also due to the full hollow body.

but this proves to me that the quality on electromatics seems good and they are nice to play. Pickups are replaceable.

should visit a few more shops to see more gretsches

manunk, Henry, Aymara and 1 other person like this.
  15. Jeff67

Jeff67 Gretschie

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    The Streamliners are great quality, and great for modding if the broad'tron pickups don't do it for you. I don't know if you're set on a floating bridge, but there are models with and without. No black as far as I know, but there are several shades of blue and blue-ish, plus my 2622T is a color called Torino Green, which is as close to olive green as you can get. Feels great, sounds great, and like I said- great modding platform. Good luck with the search. Keep us posted, and remember we love pictures.;)

Lockupyourfatdog likes this.
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You have to plug them in and spend some time with them. Granted I only have one guitar I got to do that with and it is a keeper the rest I just went with my gut feeling. In my area, I am not so lucky to have a lot of options to try but if you do then try as many as you can.

17. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    5622 (or a used 5623) w/ some mods is the closest you"ll come to a Panther IMO, but it does have fixed bridge posts rather than a floating base. This hasn't bothered me on my 5620 (single cut version of the 5622) & I like the sounds from it after a full regimen of mods more than my mostly stock Panther (aside from an aluminium compensated bar bridge & a Reverend spring for the Bigsby).

The Panther & indeed all of the Prolines I've had are immediately identifiable as the nicer guitars than the Electromatics for me, but my Electros are still great.

I haven't cared for the couple of examples of what they're calling a 5655 now that I've tried, but it may have just been those two guitars. My Korean made Double Jet 5655 was my gateway Gretsch and is a really great one after a similarly full array of mods as my 5620.

If I were going for a CB DC Falcon it would 1000% be one of the older ones w/ the B6....

GlenP likes this.
  18. niilopi

niilopi Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    Finland
    What mods you got on that 5622? It felt like a good guitar all the way. And propably with the right pickups itll sound great. bridge/nut replacement can make it even better.

19. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Mine is a previous gen 5620 but it's got a V cut B6 w/ Reverend spring & Chet arm, copper Compton bar bridge, TVJ Classic + / Supertron pickups, & a bone nut, & a jack plate. Total budget on it bought new on sale + a Gretsch case for it + mods wound up just about a wash vs. my Panther bought used, but the Panthers are fairly hard to find now, even in the US & seem to be fetching prices just about what they would have run new fairly frequently.

20. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I really think it's a mistake that they don't make centerblock guitars with a bridge base anymore.

Although there are other things making these guitars Gretsches ... this was, as far as I know, unique - aside from custom-built stuff, where you empty a big and bursting wallet and get whatever you want, course. That's always possible, just the bursting wallet often is, kinda, missing...

And, to add to all that - they all have the tension bar Bigsbys, the 5 and 7 types - which knocks them out for me. I'm currently planning to remove the entire tenison bar, including a bit of the base and therefore look for a used B7 or B70 so I don't end up without one in case I f this up.

I'm not fixed on hollowbody or semihollow by the construction of the body, but, when it's about Gretsch, I am fixed by the Bigsbys used. I'd buy one without and add a 3 or 6 myself, if I wanted another semihollow (won't be anytime soon, but may well happen later).

Anyway ... this makes the Panthers that still are out there real gems, and they're already hard to find now, when their production was discontinued just 1 or 2 years ago. So ... if I was interested in one and could find and afford it - I wouldn't care too much for customs and taxes and stuff. It could take years to find another one...

Ati EDGE and GlenP like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice