Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Mics For Amp Cabinets & Their Sensitivity Spec?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by GarethJWilliams79, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    There are only two thread sizes for mic clips. It's either the European standard or the American standard. Most products have the smaller Euro threads, & include the adaptor to fit on American stands. You'll need that adaptor. It's a good idea, in the US, to epoxy it in place, on the stand, so it doesn't get stuck inside your mic clip.

wabash slim likes this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Unorthodox, maybe, but you won't be tripping over stands. Speakers work in both directions---nature of the beast. Open back cabs emit half their sound out the back.

3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    When micing the back, is the mic behind the amp or kinda in the amp?

4. I got the SM57 today. The clip has both thread sizes (like the Sennheiser clips) so there will be no problem attaching it to the mini stand whatever size screw it has. All is good. I'm just waiting for my stand to arrive now.

5. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Cool! You made a fine choice.

6. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I don't jam the mike deep inside, but near the rear aiming at the cone. Experiment for yourself. You'll find the sweet spot. I've also seen flange mounts screwed to the amp with a short gooseneck to hold the mike.

7. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I'm unfamiliar with mic'ing the back of an amp cabinet. Why does one do that?

8. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    The E609 is great for that purpose. Easy to hang on the amp too. Nothing wrong with Shure, but you'll need a stand etc. You can hang it on the amp but it's really not sensitive that way! I've gone to Sennheiser for vocals too after many years of using Shure.

9. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Keeps the stage clear from tripping obstructions.

10. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Oh, so one and only mic? I would imagine it contains less treble too.

11. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Speakers are bidirectional. Unless you're miking the aluminum dome of a D-130 it shouldn't be an issue.

12. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    But not entirely bidirectional, right? Different frequency curve depending on where you are.

13. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That can vary on either side. Like I said---experiment with the placement. You'll find the sweet spot.

14. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I'm generally mic'ing dead center in front of the cone or slightly to the left or right, but on axis with a small diaphragm condenser. I did see where people will mic the front and back and reverse the phase on the back. Ever done that?

15. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Nope. Seems like overkill.

16. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    If you're answering me, I think the story was Roy Buchanan and some others who find that it fattens the tone or something when both mics are combined.

17. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Maybe so---I'd have to try it to know for sure. Strangest things work out sometimes.

stevo likes this.
  18. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    We did this quite a bit in the studio.

On the stuff I was involved w/ tracking through overdubs through mix, we probably used a significant amount of the rear mic around half the time. Still, if you've got the mics and the tracks and the time, seemed like it was nice to have the option available.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    stevo likes this.
  19. I got my König & Meyer 25935 mini mic stand today, it's got the smaller thread 3/8" and the Shure mic clip fits on it no problem. This is an excellent stand in my view and I'm really happy with it. I'm really happy with the whole amp miking rig now. Including another Planet Waves custom series 10ft XLR-XLR mic cable it all came to £155.14. I'm very much looking forward to trying it all out at my next practice. No more crazy nonsense with an extension speaker cable into the PA. What on earth was I thinking!

20. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    One other consideration for rear miking was to avoid interference from other sound sources by isolating it as much as possible. We had a lot of crowded stages with a wide variety of instruments.