Mesa California Tweed Series

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by RG7X, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yeah it never goes away for us musicians... more amps and guitars please...:D.

2. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    L.A.
    Keep checking in on Reverb. I got mine for $1100 mint last year.

3. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Sheesh, were you guys all jocks at school?

4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    HS wrestling in Iowa does that count? USMC then martial arts, I suppose I’m in good shape but I would rather use a dolly to haul heavier stuff then carry it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    pmac11 likes this.
  5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    I've owned a few Mesa's. I have a hardwood cabinet MK I RI with an EVM 12L that I can no longer lift. ;-) And a Studio .22+ that was my main amp for years until I suddenly fell out of love with it. Needs tubes? They are both on the block. I'm not sure what I will replace them with, but the Fillmore 25 and Cali Tweed are both contenders. I'll be out in California this Spring, so I hope to try them out.

My issue with the MK V 25 is that they use EL 84's and I think that's what turned me off on the .22+. I think an ideal Boogie for me would be something that had a clean channel like a Deluxe Reverb and a MK I sound in the lead channel that used 6V6's in the power section.

6. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Have you tried the Mark five 25 or 35?

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok Mesa 6L6 amps I've played that deliver what you desire are Lonestar Classic, Express 5:50, Rectoverb, Roadster, Mark IV, Mark V, JP-2C and Triple Crown. These all have the Lonestar cleans and reverb which produced better Fender cleans and reverb than Fender imo :)

Mark V 25 and 35 have EL84s but are voiced for Fender clean and are equally as great as the Lonestar and Express imo.
    The California Tweed as 6V6 tubes.
    Fillmore has 6L6s.

8. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    L.A.
    Just a small addition; the Fillmore 50 is 6L6 powered but the Fillmore 25 is 6V6.

Paul in Colorado and Waxhead like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice