Mesa California Tweed Series

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by RG7X, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    hey Loudnlousy.
    Those old Mesa amps you love are 40 yrs old now :)

Many of the old Mesa amps were tricky to dial in but they fixed all that 15 yrs ago. Modern mesa amps are no more difficult than Fender or Marshall if you read the manual.

I love the old Mesa amps too but the newish one's are much better, lighter, more versatile and have better cleans and reverb imo. Time you tested them out.

For me the best of the newish amps are the Lonestar, Express, Trans Atlantic, Triple Crown. And all the Mark V series amps are the best guitar amps ever made imo :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Mudshark and RG7X like this.
  2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Thanks friend. My heart is set but my purse isn`t , yet.

dankas11 and Waxhead like this.
  3. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I would jump all over playin this one,,, I love Boogies,,, this one appeals to me,,, can’t wait to throw some subpar riffs at it in my local music store!

Waxhead and RG7X like this.
  4. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Tough room...to be fair, most people are watching/listening on a phone or iPad. If you like Mesa, it looks like it's worth a tryout in person.

RG7X likes this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I think it sounds great but not the best ever just different. I, however, have my sights set on a Moonshine so it is not on my list of wants but if I hadn't seen the Moonshine first it certainly would have been considered for a more vintage tone.

6. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I'm waiting until I can test out the new Cal Tweed and the Fillmore until I pass judgement. I'm not ever likely to get an opportunity to play a moonshine though. I don't buy anything I haven't fully tested myself :)

audept, gtttrrr and Bertotti like this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Sadly I don't have any great amps in my town some orange and Victory and the basic stuff at GC. I travel to bigger towns but it is work related and I virtually never have time to go to a music store. So I go a lot on faith and gut feelings.

pmac11 likes this.
  8. Jet_streamliner

Jet_streamliner Gretschie

Nov 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    Shouldn’t an amp markered as having a tweed sound have some tweed covering? Maybe it’s just me.

9. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    He sounds hoarse. It might have been better for him to wait a few days to let his voice clear up. But wow finally a Boogie that covers the crystal clear cleans through the classic rock (Stonesy rhythm sounds). I got rid of my Mark III & Caliber 22 because the clean sound was muffled compared to Vox & Fender amps.
    This Mesa sounds nice. But wow a Mesa without their signature violin over drive sound?
    If this amp had that too I might of really been interested in it but my Vox, Fender & Ampeg amps already have this area covered.

10. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    No it's me too...you nailed it!...:).

11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well sounds like you haven't played a Boogie since the Mark III 30 yrs ago because the Lonestar does all this, the Express does it, so does the Trans Atlantic, Rectoverb , the Mark V, the Triple Crown and the Fillmore :)

12. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    I sure do like my Trans Atlantic TA15 one of the best amps I have ever owned. Fender, Vox, Boogie, and Psuedo Marshall in one box.

Attached Files:

Waxhead likes this.
  13. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I played a Mesa Lonestar and thought it sounded really good. Nice cleans too, but gave it a pass on it's $2700 CDN price tag and the 59 lbs of weight.

I look forward to trying the California Tweed.

pmac11 and Waxhead like this.
  14. Jimi D

Jimi D Gretschie

Nov 29, 2017
    Ottawa
    I've been playing Mesa amps forever; I had a Mark IIC+ head back in the day with a verticle 2x12 and it was amazing... I sold that amp when my wife and I bought our first house to help with the down payment, and many years later she conspired with some friends of mine to buy me one of the first Mark V heads in Canada to replace it!! I've been rocking that amp hard for a decade now... I love the Tweed preamp setting on my Mark V - in fact, it seems to me it pretty much sounds like this... guess I'll just stick with what I got, though I have to admit that hauling around the 56 lb. head and required cab has gotten pretty old... nowadays, I mostly play out with tiny combos; a Quilter Micro Pro or my Swart SRT with the R&B gig... my tribute gigs used to be powered by Mesa, but since I got my Helix, it doesn't even get out for those... still like the Mark V when my old punk band gets together every once in a while, though! :D

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Waxhead likes this.
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Always wanted a TA15 but then came the Mark five 25
    And 35
    And still I keep talking my self out of it.

16. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yeah you know in the mid 80's I bought the Mark III, got rid of an early 60's Tremolux, a 63 Bandmaster, and an Ampeg V2 because I believed the hype in Guitar Player magazine saying that the Mark III could do it all but after 6 months I regretted it big time. So I took a big loss. A few months later I bought the Studio Caliber 22. It was better but I missed my Fender amps. I got a few Vox AC 30s - an Original 1965 & an early 90's reissue. I was happy again and since then picked up several Marshall & Fender amps along with one of my favorites - a 1965 Ampeg Gemini 1.
    I've had all kinds of Mesa amps come through the studio over the past 25 years and the only one I really liked was an old Mark II - that was a great sounding amp.
    So I guess you can say I'm not a big Mesa fan. There are many players out there that get great sounds out of them but I'd rather look for deals on old amps that I know will work for me and not spend $2000 and be disappointed. That Mark III with an EV speaker cost me $1600 back in 1986. The closest I've come to that was when I bought that anniversary Vox AC 30 back in 1991 for $1500 but I loved that amp - got rid of it when I found the 65 AC 30 a few years later in cherry condition for $550. I've owned a Mesa V-Twin tube preamp for 26 years and I use it all the time. If I want that sweet Mesa lead tone all I have to do is plug it into one of my Fender amps and there it is when I need it.
    One thing for sure Mesa amps are built to last and if you are happy with yours keep it - it will serve you well.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  17. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes well times change and vintage old school amps made by anyone are not what I seek. I'm an ex owner of Fender Twin and Marshall JCM800 and ditched them around 10 yrs ago. Each to there own so enjoy yours :)

The best thing about the many Mesa amps made last 15 yrs is that all have better cleans and reverb than anything made Fender, Vox or Marshall imo.

18. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    You didn't mention Ampeg - my Gemini 1 has the best tremolo & reverb sound out of any amp I've ever heard or owned....:D. It's the only amp that can give me that late 60's to mid 70's Keith Richards Rhythm sound. Even the old Fender amps he's using now won't do it...:). But yes to each his own - whatever makes us happy is what's best.

19. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I would be quite happy if I had one of every amp mentioned in this thread so far! Hahaha

Gretschtim1 likes this.
  20. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    LOL, you guys are hilarious. Come one, can't you see him bobbing his head when he plays?

This line is the clincher: "separate inputs are provided for flexibility"...amazing!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice