Mesa California Tweed Series

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by RG7X, Jan 31, 2019.

1. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    L.A.
    This really looks like a sweet new amp with a lot of cool features (especially the incremental multi-watt switch). I almost get a vibe of a Lone Star / Fillmore type of mix from the pics and description.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifier...ed-series/california-tweed-6v6-440/index.html

[​IMG]

In the twilight of the 1960s, SF Bay Area amp repairman to the Stars, Randall Smith, was inspired to start building his own amplifiers after coming to a deep appreciation for the ‘50s Tweed circuits developed by Leo Fender. He loved their organic sounding voice, powerful controls and the way they smoothly transitioned from clean to clip and back again.

Standing on the shoulders of a giant, Smith’s (and the World’s) first venture into boutique guitar amplification resulted in a new Boogie® amp design inspired by that wonderful, timeless sounding preamp. Five Decades later we return to pay homage. Now, drawing on these 50 years of experience, we bring forward an exciting new realm of tweed-based performance and authentic 6V6 character. A beautifully simplistic design that raises the bar in the world of vintage tone. The NEW CALIFORNIA TWEED™"

gtttrrr, pmac11 and Trash Kidd like this.
  2. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Is the dude talking really sad about the amp, he seems so bummed.

MKunie, dankas11, pmac11 and 2 others like this.
  3. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Is he trying to sell a guitar amp or funeral options? He does look & sound rather sad...

MKunie and pmac11 like this.
  4. Hydroman

Hydroman Gretschie

Feb 29, 2016
    FUNtucky, Ca.
    Thats some boring ass guitar demo music. Who is their target audience, the Barry Manilow crowd.

Trash Kidd likes this.
  5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    My wife ran off with my best friend, my dog died and my house burnt down, and now you want me to do an amp demo video clip? Sheesh!! :(

G5422T, dankas11 and Trash Kidd like this.
  6. BuddieGreen

BuddieGreen Gretschie

Sep 3, 2018
    indiana usa
    crappy demo aside i think im really liking the amp. a bit salty tho

7. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    L.A.
    Ya, not the best demo / introduction but honestly I can't say it's much worse than a lot of the product vids that have been out lately (ie Fender). Very dramatic on selling the idea more than the product.

Trash Kidd likes this.
  8. larryr

larryr Gretschie

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    Right at the 3:12 mark I heard some really nice Keith Richards Can't You Hear Me Knocking tone.

9. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

I wanted to really like the amp, But was somewhat disappointed in the tone, of course it’s a video so maybe I might like it if I tested it.

Or....it could have been because I have been lusting after a Carr amp, my teacher just bought two, he now has four. Love the sound that comes outta those boutique amps.

10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Lol i think thats Doug West, right hand man/ second to Randal Smith, the founder. I think ive seen him in the grocery store

11. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    The most famed MESA amp was the Boogie MKI
    The best MESA amp was the Boogie MKIIA
    The latest good MESA amp was the Boogie MKIIB
    The decadence started with the MKIIC
    And the rest is...

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

Gretschtim1 likes this.
  12. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
    I like Lonestar but it is so heavy

13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I have played Boogies for more than 2 decades.
    Caliber 50, MK2B and MK3 red stripe.
    They served me very well.
    As I wrote elsewhere I found them to be very difficult to dial in but once you`re done you will be really happy with the result. Just take your time and do not touch the dials afterwards. Never.

What makes this amps so desireable for many (besides their good looks and fine workmanship) is the sheer ammount of options (if you are willing to handle them). Randall Smith does not only care for the sound but for the feel of his amps. So there are usually many little switches or pots that have not too dramatic effect on tone but on e.g. latency and overall feel. That`s something not all-too many manufacturers seem to offer.

I think that Boogie made one mistake during the last 30 years: Their product-devellopment-circle is too fast. They put out a lot of nice amps but the customers have a hard time keeping up with all the models and names.
    If I were them I would focus on a handful of core-products, only.

I am missing my Boogies. I am looking for a highgain amp since months and I would really like to find a Boogie for a good price. But the prices have gone up to a degree that you could buy a solid used car for the price of a Rectifier over here in Germany.
    Last year a deal on a nice top blew and I was very disappointed.
    Still on the hunt.

RG7X and Bertotti like this.
  14. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    All good amps but to me, the best is the newer Mark five 25 and Mark five 35, the ability to dial in almost anything form some of the older mesas and a vast array of other amps in incredible. Now this amp, ignoring the dude doing the demo, sounds pretty good to me. I had some friends in Ca. that would always talk like that but they had the munchies perpetually.

Mudshark, pmac11, Waxhead and 2 others like this.
  15. collama

collama Electromatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Colorado
    Sounds pretty damn good but based on the demos and the features, I think I’d prefer the Fillmore 50. And I think they are about the same price.

16. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    L.A.
    This is actually a very good point and something that never crossed my mind lately. It does seem they are pushing a little too much, too fast lately which is something you would not have traditionally seen from Mesa. I don't have a lot of insight as to why that might be... New management / direction, marketing push or decline in sales resulting in re-branding? They seem to have some cool amps coming out but hopefully not at the cost of quality or having " way too many" options. I could see that being a pain if you were new or getting back to Mesa or the amp market in general. Good luck on your search.

loudnlousy likes this.
  17. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Too many decent import amps, the Joyo's aren't bad and they are inexpensive compared to some of the big amp makers and more people are looking at Boutique!

18. BuddieGreen

BuddieGreen Gretschie

Sep 3, 2018
    indiana usa
    unless i change my mind b4 the money comes around (and that could happen), iv been thinking my next amp will be the winfield brat . and the price isnt bad (head 750.00). just wish i could find one in person or see more videos on it. what i have seen are great to my ears.

19. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    That amp sounds great to me.

Too often we get a demo of some guy pumping power chords and junk through his favourite pedal or wanging away on the clean end so hard all you hear is buzzing strings and poor technique.

I don't want to buy the "dude" but I for one would love that 4/40 combo.

pmac11, RG7X and Waxhead like this.
  20. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes agree haha
    Must be a cultural thing but finally in this Mesa video we get an expert talking like a normal person instead of an over-hyped meathead whose overdosed on uppers :)

And if this new amp is anywhere near the class of other Mesa offerings the past 15 yrs it'll be another killer.

The market niche Mesa is aiming at here is you guys :)

Like the past Lonestars and the new Fillmore amp tis Cal Tweed is aimed directly at the vintage market with superlative tone mixed with their modern tube amp features like loops, variable wattage etc. These modern mesa amps all sound fantastic at bedroom levels also.

This combo of old and new blows Fender, Vox and everyone else out of the water imo :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice