Maybe we can use this time to rally for Tavo?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by blueruins, Mar 29, 2020.

1. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Anytime some one shares on another platform, social group, forum, you help. I've had quite a few very famous musicians use my stuff yet its ALWAYS the guys that get a thread going somewhere and I stay out of it that gains traction and interest in the stuff I make. Even really good guitar players make videos pales in comparison to the average guy that is in a solid community online, is what helps us. Last summer, the Jr Barnyard (octal tube character pedal) started selling out regularly (batches of 10-20 once a month, as it takes 3 weeks to get 20 enclosures painted and drilled by my supplier..another hurdle for the little guy) and I was stunned because I'd had that pedal out for 2 yrs and only serious lovers of old timey charlie christian, texas playboys etc.. were buying it. Figured out soon enough it was a group of guys (some from here, some from facebook) talking about it on the jazzguitar.be web forum. Jazz guys were the ones starting to buy the Jr Barnyard. Jonathan Stout of campusfive.com was one of them sharing about using it direct to his Bose PA system and getting a similar sound to his vintage EH-185 octal tube amp.
    So I think, I think thats the way I've managed to keep it all going. Word of mouth and sharing vids is probably it.

Trash Kidd, larryr, nickurso and 5 others like this.
  2. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    You are a guy with a nocturne amp, nocturne guitar, and nocturne pedals. the video dem world is your oyster! :)

nickurso, nasonm and Merc like this.
  3. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    Good point.

Maybe a take on the TV Jones quirky combo videos? I've been stacking the DC Fluid Drive and Ubangi Stomp to make fuzz recently. All this stuff works great way outside the rockabilly world. Anything anyone is interested in hearing? I know this forum is already pretty well versed, but you gotta start somewhere.

Merc likes this.
  4. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    Honestly, I don't think everyone on this forum is all that well versed. I think I have a good handle on what the El Pescadoro and the Mystery Brain do, but the various overdrive pedals -- have no idea what most of them do.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  5. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    Ah okay, well I have a whole bunch of them so that'll be a great first video. Individually and stacked.

michelb and blueruins like this.
  6. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    So if I was to do a video explaining stuff, how do you think I'd best serve the things you just shared?

7. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    You mean "Pedals For Dummies?" I like Tommy Harkenrider's approach to demoing the Jr. Barnyard. "Here's the clean sound. Here's some notes with a little fur on them. And some chords. And here's the all-out distorto-tone..." (That's not verbatim of course, just how I remember it.)

One approach I like is a step-by-step (which you do in some videos):

a) here's what this pedal is really good for (or "why I built this pedal.")
    b) here's a genre (or two, or three) where this pedal really shines
    c) here are a couple of great players using this pedal

For instance, the Fluid Drive -- good for blues players, good for rockers. (I'm just now listening to the RJ Ronquillo demo). Does it do anything for a rockabilly player? How about jazz players?

I'm just throwing stuff out there. If it helps, great.

Also, you just sold a Fluid Drive when I can afford it. Great sounding pedal.

8. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    IMO rockabilly isn’t so much an effect but the playing style and material kind of determines rockabilly. If you set the fluid drive accordingly, it can be used for any genre because it’s a very transparent boost to overdrive pedal. Jazz? Sure at its lowest gain setting can certainly pull off a jazz tone.

Don’t take it from me though, I have no experience with Tavo’s pedals:p:)

B1F91225-053A-42A8-832E-A1A55F6173DB.jpeg

9. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    What I was trying to say is: for the Rockabilly player, does the pedal add anything? And it wasn't so much Rockabilly as "for the <genre> player, how would this pedal be used? What does it add?"

I think it can be helpful to say "if this is your style, here's an example of how you might use this pedal."

10. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Sure, it pushes your amp a little harder to get a little grit at lower volumes. It provides a boost for leads or for louder transition rhythm parts etc

dougmon and blueruins like this.
  11. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Here’s an old post of Anthony Bambino talking about how he uses it. And he does Setzer extremely well in his band. The sounds not the best though as it doesn’t have a proper microphone set up.

12. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    Thanks for the examples. What I was trying (and failing) to do was to speak in the abstract. Something like:

Here's a demo of <Pedal>
    <Pedal> is good for <this use>
    <Pedal> also works well in <genre> and here's how it works.

So I wasn't trying to speak of just the Fluid Drive (though that's what I ended up doing.)

Sorry, it's the programmer mindset. I provide an example and think that everyone will think in the abstract. o_O
    (I'm almost retired, though; pretty soon I'll start thinking/speaking like a normal person.)

pmac11 likes this.
  13. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.

Merc likes this.
  14. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
  15. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
  16. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
  17. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
  18. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Would love to one day own one of those blondeshell heads, either the small one or the big one. But since I'm a bass player I can't really justify it to my wife. Since I already have a few amps stacked up. And you know bass amps :p
    I'd love to see more videos tho.

@Tavo: On the bussiness front. Thomann is a pretty big store in Europe, who import a lot of stuff. Afaik they also do "smaller" on-demand-brands. Don't know how fast and big demand will become tho. It still needs to be managable I suppose?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Merc and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  19. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    awesome video, awesome Tone :D

Merc likes this.
  20. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Yeah, despite likely being recorded with a phone you can tell the Setzer tone is nailed. I wish he had recorded it better. For example, in person my Brain is way more noticeable than in that clip.

nickurso likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice