Matchless Avalon 30 anyone?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Crooner, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    So I'm still on the fence over whether to go with a traditional pedalboard and amp or just get a Helix and a PowerCab Plus. I had a chance to sit and play around with a Helix setup at GC for about 30 minutes last week and while I can see the potential, I get the distinct feeling that getting a good tone is heavily dependent on lots of EQ and using the best IRs and not the built in Line 6 speaker and cabs.
    That said, it would be a lot cheaper than a pedalboard and amp.

Still, I like the idea of having real pedals and an amp to turn knobs and get a sound with. To that end, I'm still looking at amps. I'm very interested in the Mesa Lone Star and Lone Star Special but a new contender has now popped up on my radar... the Matchless Avalon 30. I haven't had a chance to play through one yet but from the demos I've seen, this thing has some serious tone going on and it seems to sit somewhere between a strict Voxy sound and a Fenderish thing. It has far more mids than a Fender but it has a thicker "bloom" than most Vox type amps I've heard.

Has anyone had the chance to play one? If so, I'd love your input, especially insight into how much clean headroom it has in 30W mode with the Master engaged.

Thanks!

2. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yeah I've played some Matchless amps and they are super high quality tube amps just like Mesa Boogie's are.
    The Lonestar Special is a fantastic amp.
    I've not played the Avalon 30 but anything Matchless is great imo.

QA/QC on all Line 6 products is appalling and I would not recommend anybody buy any of their products.

A used Lonestar or Matchless and a small analog pedal is cheaper than a Helix and will sound x100 better imo.

How many pedals do you need anyway - more than 90% of players only need a few effects and have no use for all the bells and whistles on these multi modellers.

Robbie likes this.
  3. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Haven’t played this particular one but any Matchless I’ve played has been fantastic.

Waxhead likes this.
  4. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Definitely play one first chance you get. I loved the sound of the Matchless but I never got use to the transient response.
    Always felt like the amp was fighting me and trying to throw notes back at me before I even played them.

5. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    I think I k ow what you mean. From those I've spoken to, The Avalon (and some other Matchless amps) have a very sensitive touch responsiveness that can either be part of your playing or fight you. It all depends on how you play it.

1) That's what I want to try both.

2) Haven't heard that about Line 6 stuff. My HX Edit has stood up well so far as has my Verbzilla and MM series Mod pedal though it is a tone suck.

As for how many pedals I'd use, it would definitely be enough to require a switcher system. I figure the Big Three from Strymon, maybe three dirt boxes, a comp, graphic EQ, fuzz, etc.

6. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    My buddy has an Avalon. Sounds amazing but it's heavy. I still have my Lightning Reverb and it is a fabulous amplifier.

Waxhead likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice