Marshall wireless speakers (Airplay and Bluetooth)

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by not_man_davo, Mar 12, 2019.

1. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Gretschie

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    Hey Y'all,
    I'm in the midst of building out my home office, and because it will be in a separate part of my home I will no longer be able to listen to my home stereo while I work. I needs me a wireless setup that I can stream from my iPad or phone so I have decided that bluetooth or Airplay is the way to go.

I've looked at a gazillion different models and decided that I think I want the Marshall Acton 2 or the Stanmore 2. They both look amazing, and the reviews are all top flight, but I haven't been able to A/B them anywhere locally. I will admit that the styling is the first thing that got me interested in Marshalls, but having read reviews and watched comparisons, they appear to be exactly in my line of fire.

Question is, does anyone here have any experience with these, or is there another speaker I should be looking at other than these?

hcsterg likes this.
  2. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I have the Marshall Acton 1, in black. It has the bluetooth facility that works well, but I find the cord more practical since it is placed near my laptop, on my desk. This is truly a great sounding device, beside its great look. I wouldn't part with it...

A+!

3. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Gretschie

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    Perfect! That's what I wanted to hear. I will have the speaker across the room in my office so AirPlay is really the big winner for me. I have an old iPad that doesnt do anything else anymore, so it's just a music server. I will have that next to my desk so I can control everything from my seat (in case I need to mute for phone calls etc.) but I wanted a good clean sound. The Acton gets the best reviews for "studio sound" quality so I'm glad to hear that's correct.

4. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    I have one and i use it for my guitar amp, i love em! they sound great and they are loud for a little thing.

not_man_davo likes this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I picked up a Monoprice tube stereo amp on sale for a good price. It's rated at 15 watts/channel and has more than enough power to easily drive my Klipsch Cornwalls, and has a Bluetooth receiver built in. Quality speakers are easy enough to come by. There is no small Bluetooth speaker/amp system that can compare. Monoprice has even larger amps, and complete systems at great prices.

6. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Gretschie

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    I hadn't considered that. I actually have a pair of speakers that my Dad had made in the late 60s in that room now. They're not terribly far off from Cornwalls either. I will definitely look into that, Thanks!

7. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I've had a Stanmore for a few years now (think it's first gen so no AirPlay?) that's been living on the bench at the shop. Good sounding speaker, well executed, plenty of volume. It's not audiophile/pro reference gear, but it seems to provide a fairly decent sound stage from a decent range of axis and seems fairly balanced as Bluetooth speakers go to me.

It cost about twice what it should if it just came in a black plastic box rather than sporting the awesome 60s Marshall treatment, but I'm cool w/ that. It seems well executed and has presented no issues for me in the time I've had it. I've wound up liking the Sony offerings pretty well when I've comparison shopped them in person and would have (and have in a couple other cases) gone that route if my only concerns were bang for the buck, fidelity, and portability.

That being said I pretty much never use wireless if I don't have to, I connect my laptop to the Stanmore w/ a mini stereo cable 99% of the time. No reason to re-encode and compress things another time if you don't have to. I'm w/ @wabash slim that a dedicated amp and nice speakers connected via actual cable is going to get you way closer to "studio quality" than any Bluetooth/AirPlay all-in-one speaker will.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    wabash slim likes this.
  8. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Gretschie

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    Oh I agree, I will always prefer to have a wired in system with amp and speakers of my design. I was just looking for something grab and go ready so I can airplay audio from my old, otherwise useless, iPad. Now I'm thinking I can just connect it directly to the amp via the RCA input and use the existing speakers that should be getting used, but are just sitting there looking awesome. That's now the route I think I may go with it. Oddly enough, it's MUCH cheaper as well!

The reason I got turned on to the Marshall to begin with, is because it's a wood cab speaker set, and not just a $300 pile of plastic garbage like all the rest. I had the chance to hear the stanmore (albeit in a Best Buy store so fidelity was NOT at its best) and I really loved the sound. My issue was that the Acton is not available at the stores near me, and I wasnt sure about the difference in sound quality from something so small.

Thanks for the help y'all!

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  9. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Synchro's got the same amp as I. I got mine on an open box deal for $100. Great bang for the buck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice