Malcolm Young sig pickup - new vs. old

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Tribute Mal, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Tribute Mal

Tribute Mal Newbie

Mar 12, 2020
    Manakin, VA
    First post! My lack of knowledge will soon be apparent.

Malcolm Young is my favorite guitarist and I am lucky enough to play him in an AC/DC tribute band. I have a 2010 MY signature with 2 pickups and all the controls still intact and recently bought a 2019 with the one pickup, holes where the others would have been, and the metal "buttons" where the controls used to be to have an even more authentic look.

The trouble is the 2019 definitely LOOKS more authentic but the 2010 SOUNDS more authentic. I'm aware that the pickup in the newer ones are different and hotter than the older ones. Can someone tell me the exact pickup used in the 2010 so I can get one for my 2019?

Waxhead likes this.
  2. jm99

jm99 Gretschie

Mar 21, 2015
    France
    It seems that the new MY signature
    has TV jones PowerTron pick up, and the older
    versions are fitted with Gretsch HS Filtertron pups

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Waxhead and Tribute Mal like this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Tribute Mal !
    welcome mat 111.jpg

Tribute Mal likes this.
  4. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    Aren't both of those a good bit hotter than what Malcolm Young played? The replica SoloDallas makes is in Ray Butts territory.

5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    MY used different Filtertrons over different periods of time, so it would depend which period you’re shooting for. Sorry I’m not familiar with the details.

A lot of later Filtertron iterations used by ACDC were custom wound by Seymour Duncan. Maybe ask there?

6. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    He had his pickup rewound several times and ended up pretty hot.

Waxhead likes this.
  7. Tribute Mal

Tribute Mal Newbie

Mar 12, 2020
    Manakin, VA
    Thanks! I think this is what I will try.

Thanks! I won't be a regular, but I'm glad I found the place.

The 2010 sounds just like Mal's so it's probably not too much hotter. The 2019 definitely is hotter and it loses the grunt he had. I took a look at the SoloDallas but it's a bit at $200 compared to the Filter'tron at $89 so I'll try the less expensive option first. I appreciate the tip though!

I love his sound on the US version of High Voltage, Dirty Deeds, Powerage, and Highway to Hell. I love the sound on Let There Be Rock but that was an unusual production sound for them - very aggressive and a little trashy (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

I read that somewhere too. I should have specified that I was looking for that almost clean grunty sound of the earlier albums.

audept likes this.
  8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    That's what I understood and then............ as @englishman says Malcolm had the HS re-wound several times.
    When I saw the new Malcolm's had a TVJ Powertron I did wonder how close it would sound to his original.

audept and englishman like this.
  9. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    If you can't tell by the look of the guitar, Malcolm was a serial modder. It's entirely possible that every album was recorded on the same guitar but modded in some way every time. When I saw him on the Black Ice tour, it sounded like a hot pickup, close to a Powertron sound. When I saw him in '75... well I have no idea but his sound back then was more classic.

audept and Waxhead like this.
  10. jm99

jm99 Gretschie

Mar 21, 2015
    France
    I saw them in 1979 on the Highway to Hell tour and MY had his iconic guitar, but when i saw them again the following year on Back in Black
    tour he played a White Falcon on stage, not sure he used it in the studio
    but the album sounds different than the previous ones

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice