Making the switch - Fender to Vox?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by 6124Bassman, Dec 27, 2018.

1. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Plus you’d have to change your screen name

Henry and 6124Bassman like this.
  2. Gewdkharma

Gewdkharma Electromatic

Jan 14, 2018
    Winter Haven, FL
    I recently went from a Blues Jr III to a Vox Ac15c1 and don't regret it a single bit. The tones from the Vox inspire me.

However neither is a 67 Bassman so there ya go.

3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You know Synchro has a good idea. The demos I have listened to of the Cyclone are really nice!

4. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    I do need to make it out there soon. I’ve heard great things about rainbow.

Thanks everyone for the persuasion I’ve decided to pass on the offer. I love the Bassman and every time I get rid of one I always end up with another so I’m just going to hold on to this one now.

5. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    What Tony says!!

6124Bassman likes this.
  6. El Marin

El Marin Electromatic

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    I can play both. my guitar bandmate plays a Bassman and my harp bandmate plays a AC15 I currently play a Marshall JCM900 MKIII....

I play any amp whenever I want to... we switch just for fun. After 3 years with the Marshall I put it on sale and I am saving for a Bassman, not for an AC15

Just my two cents

6124Bassman likes this.
  7. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    I'm a major Vox fan, and I've played an AC30 almost exclusively since 1994. It's a tone like no other, and I could never be entirely without it. But I'll chime in (sorry!) to say that I think you did the right thing in keeping your Bassman. There are tons of Voxes available now, and you can without doubt pick up some Vox tone (or a Cyclone!) for a good price eventually.

For what it's worth -- I'm in the midst of a new amp search with severe weight restrictions from my cardiologist, and wanting to stick with Vox if at all possible. It may not be enough for every gigging situation if you need really high volume, but the AC10 is a remarkable (and surprisingly loud) piece of work, even though it's not handwired. And I settled for something even lighter, the MV50 AC. I've been plugging it into my AC30's 2x12 Alnicos, then swapping back to the AC30. The tones are often eerily close. And that piece of kit will run you about $200 new.

8. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    It’s one of the best music stores I’ve seen in years. They have thrived, while others have just survived.

9. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Get the AC10 instead. The AC4 is simple, and a bit anemic. The AC10 is full featured and used should be in the same price range.

Keep the Bassman, hands down. Like someone said---they aren't making originals of these anymore.

Tony65x55 likes this.
  10. chicago slim

chicago slim Gretschie

Dec 27, 2008
    Bowling Green, KY
    As a former Bassman guy, I've gotten a Vox TB18C1, and love it. They are discontinued and hard to find, but wort it, if you can find one. It's made in China, and I haven't had any reliability problems. I run mine with JJ 6V6S tubes, to get the sound close to the Tung Sol 5881's, that I am used to. I have also replaced the Celestion with an Eminence Lil' Texas speaker. This has made the amp both lighter (36 lbs.) and louder. I am able to dial-in Fender Tweed to Dumble like sounds. I've had mine over 9 years, and have not bought another tube amp, since.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  11. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    The Vox hand wired stuff is excellent. I've owned the handwired AC4 and the AC15 and they are terrific amps.

I don't think it should be an "either or" type of scenario. It's cool to have a good Fender AND a good Vox. There are different animals. Both are valuable in what they bring to the table.

G5422T likes this.
  12. G5422T

G5422T Gretschie

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yep, there's three basic food groups in my world of amp tones.

Vox, Marshall, and Fender.

MartyT likes this.
  13. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    There's just something really magical about the combination of Gretsch guitars and Vox amps. The chime and the overtones are killer.

G5422T likes this.
  14. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I agree with you Marty. I had a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue when I got my first Gretsch, and the 5420 sounded great through the Fender. Down the road, I got a Vox AC10, and it has become the primary amp for my 3 Gretsches.

G5422T likes this.
  15. G5422T

G5422T Gretschie

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yeah, IMO Vox hit a home run with the little AC10C1's.

I've had SO many amps over the years, and some just didn't "play well" with my Gretsches.

I can plug any of them in my AC10C1, and the tones can just be magical.

An inspiring sound from that little feller. Just fun to play through.

20181211_114059.jpg

LivingMyDream likes this.